Test Shows Electric Truck Costs Over $100 to Charge - More Than It Costs to Fill Most Gas Cars

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
• We performed our charging test at an Electrify America station, which costs $0.43 per kilowatt-hour.

• The Hummer maxed out at an impressive 287-kW charging rate, second only to the Lucid Air in this year's field of EV of the Year contenders

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40920160/gmc-hummer-ev-expensive-fillup-charging/
TANSTAAFL...

People who say "there's one born every minute" are right. But $0.43 / kWh is about three times the going rate for charging at home. But charging at home is not one of these ultra-fast chargers, either. Unless you have an upgraded service with three phase delivery and demand charges apply.

https://electrek.co/2021/10/22/electric-vehicle-ev-charging-standards-and-how-they-differ/

Home chargers are slower, because the fast charge rate can't be delivered over a normal home electric supply. Must be 480 VAC, Three Phase at 100+ Amps, and those installations are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive to obtain, AND to operate. The utility has to install a three phase transformer (just for you, unless your neighbors want to do a coop). This transformer is free to you, because it belongs to the utility company, but YOU have to pay for the installation, if you can even get it permitted for your neighborhood, which is very unlikely. Even the smallest 480 VAC transformer they can install is a big creature, and requires a crane, etc for installation. All new iring and panels in the house, and you can expect to pay A LOT of money to have this done in your home. 480 VAC electricity is also a very different animal than the 240 VAC service normally supplied to homes. (Look up Arc flash and arc blast videos, for the reasons why.) Oh, and unless they approve dual service (again, unlikely, but possible), you will need an ADDITIONAL transformer to transform the 480 back down again to run your lighting, washer and dryer, etc. Sub-panels, etc. Where are you going to put THOSE? 480 VAC panels require 3 to 4 feet of absolutely clear space from the panel entrance. This means you can't put these panels in your laundry room or the garage (unless you no longer use it for parking the car... again, these are Arc flash safety rules). The engineering and permit drawings alone will run you several thousand dollars, before you even start buying the equipment. And you better have an electrician on retainer, or become one yourself, because you don't have the safety gear to even OPEN the panel, much less work in it.

Then, if you manage to make it though all that, to have the super-duper commercial installation approved and installed, you can prepare for a VERY different electric bill for the rest of your time in that home. They (typically) have a base rate you must pay, even if you don't use ANY juice at all, (and it's going to be higher than ANY bill you've ever paid before at your house) plus various adders for usage at particular times, or various instantaneous demand levels. Complicated. The bills are very different from normal household electric bills people are used to seeing, and not in a good way.

This is why all the Super-Duper chargers are commercial installations. They have to pay for all this complication and expense by sucking in cash every day.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
TANSTAAFL...

People who say "there's one born every minute" are right. But $0.43 / kWh is about three times the going rate for charging at home. But charging at home is not one of these ultra-fast chargers, either. Unless you have an upgraded service with three phase delivery and demand charges apply.

https://electrek.co/2021/10/22/electric-vehicle-ev-charging-standards-and-how-they-differ/

Home chargers are slower, because the fast charge rate can't be delivered over a normal home electric supply. Must be 480 VAC, Three Phase at 100+ Amps, and those installations are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive to obtain, AND to operate. The utility has to install a three phase transformer (just for you, unless your neighbors want to do a coop). This transformer is free to you, because it belongs to the utility company, but YOU have to pay for the installation, if you can even get it permitted for your neighborhood, which is very unlikely. Even the smallest 480 VAC transformer they can install is a big creature, and requires a crane, etc for installation. All new iring and panels in the house, and you can expect to pay A LOT of money to have this done in your home. 480 VAC electricity is also a very different animal than the 240 VAC service normally supplied to homes. (Look up Arc flash and arc blast videos, for the reasons why.) Oh, and unless they approve dual service (again, unlikely, but possible), you will need an ADDITIONAL transformer to transform the 480 back down again to run your lighting, washer and dryer, etc. Sub-panels, etc. Where are you going to put THOSE? 480 VAC panels require 3 to 4 feet of absolutely clear space from the panel entrance. This means you can't put these panels in your laundry room or the garage (unless you no longer use it for parking the car... again, these are Arc flash safety rules). The engineering and permit drawings alone will run you several thousand dollars, before you even start buying the equipment. And you better have an electrician on retainer, or become one yourself, because you don't have the safety gear to even OPEN the panel, much less work in it.

Then, if you manage to make it though all that, to have the super-duper commercial installation approved and installed, you can prepare for a VERY different electric bill for the rest of your time in that home. They (typically) have a base rate you must pay, even if you don't use ANY juice at all, (and it's going to be higher than ANY bill you've ever paid before at your house) plus various adders for usage at particular times, or various instantaneous demand levels. Complicated. The bills are very different from normal household electric bills people are used to seeing, and not in a good way.

This is why all the Super-Duper chargers are commercial installations. They have to pay for all this complication and expense by sucking in cash every day.
Wow Dave, that's interesting. Thanks for the education. I was near a smaller city sub-station when it blew. What you're talking about sounds something like that. When it went boom the metal panel covering was sent through a 10ft chain link fence into a home owners front yard approx. 30 yards away. That thing scared the ever lovin' crap out of me when it went. I thought it was the second coming of the Lord. :)

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Tesla is up today, ostensibly because of the looming 3:1 stock split.

I wonder if the people bidding it up realize a 3:1 stock split has zero effect on the market value of the stock? ?

I am guessing, no. :like:

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow Dave, that's interesting. Thanks for the education. I was near a smaller city sub-station when it blew. What you're talking about sounds something like that. When it went boom the metal panel covering was sent through a 10ft chain link fence into a home owners front yard approx. 30 yards away. That thing scared the ever lovin' crap out of me when it went. I thought it was the second coming of the Lord. :)
Arc Flash is NO joke. I was required to sit through some training about it at one point. I had no idea it was so powerful. I had seen some melted wiring, and fried motors, but they were all normal 115 VAC, (well there was that one motor, but it was 500 VDC, and pretty damn big) and thise things will get your attention, but arc flash is literally like a bomb going off. The training videos used crash dummies and contrived setups with super slo-mo video so you could see clothing and "skin" evaporate. The clouds of molten metal emerging from the panel were terrifying. They had security cam videos of a couple of actual events, and people literally just disappear. Off screen in the time it takes for ONE frame of video. Terrifyingly destructive. I would never have it in my home, but properly installed and maintained by knowledgeable professionals (with an adequate budget) it's completely safe. But you can never be careless around electricity. I have the scars to remind me of that.

Here's one example. These are 480 VAC switch panels. That is just a Disconnect Switch the dummy is standing in front of, not a breaker. Not too graphic. They blow up some test dummies. There are many worse if you care to look.

OP
OP
Trigganometry

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
My brother and I long ago were sub contractors for clearing utility line tree branches. This particular day a front came in fast and wind gusts started out of nowhere. He was on a good sized branch and parted it from a tree and wind picked it up and dropped it over the primary feed lines. 1 pole down was the transformer. It happened so fast and then a flash bang. Knocked me down on the ground. He was in the bucket. Blew his helmet off, gave him a sun burn and knocked him out cold. I freaked and thought he was dead. Lowered bucket and ran over and he came back around. He was flash blind. Lasted 2 days. Scared the living crap out of both of us. I had a new respect for high voltage after that day!

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
My brother and I long ago were sub contractors for clearing utility line tree branches. This particular day a front came in fast and wind gusts started out of nowhere. He was on a good sized branch and parted it from a tree and wind picked it up and dropped it over the primary feed lines. 1 pole down was the transformer. It happened so fast and then a flash bang. Knocked me down on the ground. He was in the bucket. Blew his helmet off, gave him a sun burn and knocked him out cold. I freaked and thought he was dead. Lowered bucket and ran over and he came back around. He was flash blind. Lasted 2 days. Scared the living crap out of both of us. I had a new respect for high voltage after that day!
I seen quite a few things in my life that told me I didn't think I would want to work with that much electricity. During a thunder/lightening storm I was sitting near an intersection with my lights flashing to warn drivers to be careful as the traffic lights were out. Lightning hit a transformer on a pole to my right. Damn, old Jim almost needed some toliet paper after than one. :crazy: :crackup:

It's a job many don't think about, but I do appreciate those that work in that vocation for the job they do keeping the electricity flowing.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
I work at a electrical powerplant. Two years ago we installed a charge point charging station for EVs. The company has a fleet of EV for the corporate guys to use. All electricity dispensed from that charge point is free of charge.

We have two operators that have teslas. They haven’t paid one $ to charge their cars at work. These guys never charge at home. They just plug in during the 12 hr shift and it’s always topped off at the end of work.

Not sure if it’s our employer or charge point that is picking up the tab. If only the public new they would throw a fit ……

The cost for electricity in the link above is very high. In Nevada it runs about 1/3 the cost for an EV to fill up (if empty) and get a 300 mile range vs the cost of gas at todays prices.

A2BF3E97-E6AF-40DF-95CC-3D0507EB4771.jpeg

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
That 43 cents doesn't seem too nutty to me (but it is high). Our rates just jumped to 22 cents per KW! Ugh, that's double what we were at.

We're upgrading our electric (lol, from 60 amp) and will install a 60 amp 240 circuit in the garage for future charging use (we figured it would help resale). I'm having 30 amp 240 installed for the garage anyway to run a welder, plasma cutter, and air compressor, so it made sense to bite the bullet now.

OP
OP
Trigganometry

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
That 43 cents doesn't seem too nutty to me (but it is high). Our rates just jumped to 22 cents per KW! Ugh, that's double what we were at.

We're upgrading our electric (lol, from 60 amp) and will install a 60 amp 240 circuit in the garage for future charging use (we figured it would help resale). I'm having 30 amp 240 installed for the garage anyway to run a welder, plasma cutter, and air compressor, so it made sense to bite the bullet now.
Get your copper while it is still cheap. Scrap prices right now are very low. So price for wire cable should be as low as you’re going to see it. From this point it only goes up more demand there is for it. I just picked up 70 feet of 3 conductor 6 ga cable for a garage run

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
couple things with this one.

their charging example
212kwh battery X $0.43 = $91.16 - That is quite expensive.

the average kWh cost in the US is around $0.10
212kwh battery X $0.10 = $21 -that's pretty cheap for 300 mile range.

They are paying one of the highest recharging rates, with the most inefficient and largest battery vehicles.
Then trying to compare that cost to filling the cheapest gas in a small car tank.

That would be like comparing fueling a honda civic to a diesel truck with 2 tanks.

For the person buying a 100k+ hummer, I'm not sure they care what it costs to recharge

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Rick, in light of the recent Walter is a Troll threads ?

I'm going to call it - you MUST be an evil super genius hi tech Troll who obviously spoofed the car and driver web address to give legitimacy to this story and have everyone freak out.
Why the masses freak - I dont know. To what end are you exposing the forum to such conspiracy - only the Troll knows.

Sorry I couldn't resist - and for the Troll seekers, I'm JOKING ?

It is an interesting subject, but I have always thought the bigger issue is - what the hell do you do with all the dead batteries!?
But one this is for sure - it is the future, like it or not.

OneMore

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
couple things with this one.

their charging example
212kwh battery X $0.43 = $91.16 - That is quite expensive.

the average kWh cost in the US is around $0.10
212kwh battery X $0.10 = $21 -that's pretty cheap for 300 mile range.

They are paying one of the highest recharging rates, with the most inefficient and largest battery vehicles.
Then trying to compare that cost to filling the cheapest gas in a small car tank.

That would be like comparing fueling a honda civic to a diesel truck with 2 tanks.

For the person buying a 100k+ hummer, I'm not sure they care what it costs to recharge

Well, here in the People's Republic of Kalifornia, I'm paying $0.31516 per kWh as tier 1.
Then after minor use it kicks up to tier 2, $0.39468 per kWh.

I wish I paid only $0.10 kWh.

A for service charging station needs to make money to repay costs of building public charging stations. 43 cents for super fast charging doesn't seem out of line.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Last edited: