First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
My cousin bought a Model 3 Tesla a while back. He did have a couple paint defects that shouldn't happen these days, but otherwise no complaints. They have taken a few 1000+ miles trips and with the route planning software, using the Superchargers, it isn't too bad. Still not anything close to the time efficiency of just pulling over, filling the tank and taking a pee, but not terrible.

I think you could say that he fancies himself an "enlighten" sort, but truth be told, he probably is more fashion conscious than true greenie.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I'm OK with everyone getting Teslas now that my solar setup is done. When the grid gets overloaded I'll still be able to post on here and they won't be able to argue with me since they'll have no electricity.
Are you on or off grid? I am on grid so needed a powerwall battery backup in case of an outage. Grid has gone down a couple of times and I didn't even notice until the app notified me. My electric bill is $0 for the last 5 years.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Tesla, for good or bad , seems to have lit a match , maybe Ford will add the gas ,.... no, that's not right , hopefully, I get a damn E Ranger in a few years that I might not have gotten without tesla... least not as quick ... maybe...

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I can only speak from experience. Bought wife a model 3 about 3 years ago. best vehicle we've ever owned. she's driven it 135,000 miles in 3 years and had 0 issues.

Only maintenance so far was upper control arms at around 100k miles.
$150 per month in charging costs for 5000 or more miles each month
$6 for a full charge and 300 miles range

Mo3Mileage.jpg

Mo3ChargeStats.jpg

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Are you on or off grid? I am on grid so needed a powerwall battery backup in case of an outage. Grid has gone down a couple of times and I didn't even notice until the app notified me. My electric bill is $0 for the last 5 years.
Off grid. One system is a lithum ion kit. I supplemented a regular on-grid house with basically a bunch of solar powered outlets for outages and to full time power things like freezers. The other is a cabin with no nearby power lines, used T105 (golf cart) batteries and a few ground mount 310w panels so I can have AC, a fridge, lights, laptop, etc.

I am getting an input plug installed on the house's utility pole too but electric co. are very slow moving.

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Tesla, for good or bad , seems to have lit a match , maybe Ford will add the gas ,.... no, that's not right , hopefully, I get a damn E Ranger in a few years that I might not have gotten without tesla... least not as quick ... maybe...
Ford is by far doing the best out of the domestic big 3. The Mach E is already out, the Lightning will beat the EV Silverado to market, and there's only been vague anouncents from the RAM corner. But it depends on how their launches go which historically has been their Achilles Heel. One thing Tesla does do better is their software updates and not needing a dealer visit for that. The Mach E has been a bit hampered by lack of accessable updates so far, but we'll see if they get better. They've certainly been trying to hire enough software type people around here to hopefully address the issue...

Personally, would never buy a Tesla, access to repair parts seems to be to difficult for us DIYers. Plus the flip side of their software updates is that you get to be the guinea pig for someone's bright new idea and who knows what changes you're up for in each update.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Off grid. One system is a lithum ion kit. I supplemented a regular on-grid house with basically a bunch of solar powered outlets for outages and to full time power things like freezers. The other is a cabin with no nearby power lines, used T105 (golf cart) batteries and a few ground mount 310w panels so I can have AC, a fridge, lights, laptop, etc.

I am getting an input plug installed on the house's utility pole too but electric co. are very slow moving.
The damn building codes out here require a grid-tied system if your house is serviced by a utility ($$$) so I installed 26KWH of solar charged lithium backup via 2 Tesla powerwalls, they do work great, and power the house all of the time with a settable reserve for outages. Our cabin up in the Tahoe basin is 100% off grid and it is powered by 5.5KW of solar with one powerwall and a propane backup generator.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The damn building codes out here require a grid-tied system if your house is serviced by a utility ($$$) so I installed 26KWH of solar charged lithium backup via 2 Tesla powerwalls, they do work great, and power the house all of the time with a settable reserve for outages. Our cabin up in the Tahoe basin is 100% off grid and it is powered by 5.5KW of solar with one powerwall and a propane backup generator.
Sounds like a great setup. I may upgrade some day depending on how these T105 batteries last. Or could just add more batteries since they're getting cheap and go 48V. Plently of options and iirc correctly there was some new next gen type of battery in development too.

I have a propane generator that I'm hooking up to a 500 gallon tank. That will be able to plug into the junction box on the pole too. Most everyone here uses those big propane tanks for heat but I have an outdoor wood stove too and since I'll never run out of trees the propane hardly ever gets used. Although I also need to go through the gas company to get the fittings installed even though I own the tank.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sounds like a great setup. I may upgrade some day depending on how these T105 batteries last. Or could just add more batteries since they're getting cheap and go 48V. Plently of options and iirc correctly there was some new next gen type of battery in development too.

I have a propane generator that I'm hooking up to a 500 gallon tank. That will be able to plug into the junction box on the pole too. Most everyone here uses those big propane tanks for heat but I have an outdoor wood stove too and since I'll never run out of trees the propane hardly ever gets used. Although I also need to go through the gas company to get the fittings installed even though I own the tank.
yep, my tank is also 500 gal, I have to get it filled every 2 or 3 years, HA! If you're in snow country be sure to put a overhead cover over the tank to prevent the snow from blocking the vent. I have the genset on a timer so it starts once a week for 1 hour, keeps the bearings lubed and the oil turned over. No cell service at the cabin so looking into starlink, friend in Montana has it and says its great.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yep, my tank is also 500 gal, I have to get it filled every 2 or 3 years, HA! If you're in snow country be sure to put a overhead cover over the tank to prevent the snow from blocking the vent. I have the genset on a timer so it starts once a week for 1 hour, keeps the bearings lubed and the oil turned over. No cell service at the cabin so looking into starlink, friend in Montana has it and says its great.
It has one of those metal caps over it. Lol my neighbor in NJ had a genset timer. Went off every Saturday morning at 9am. What a jerk! I have service at the cabin but it is very slow. I don't plan on fixing it cause part of the reason I go out there is to disconnect. But yeah having zero service isn't good if you have an emergency.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It has one of those metal caps over it. Lol my neighbor in NJ had a genset timer. Went off every Saturday morning at 9am. What a jerk! I have service at the cabin but it is very slow. I don't plan on fixing it cause part of the reason I go out there is to disconnect. But yeah having zero service isn't good if you have an emergency.
9AM, what a jerk! I don't have any neighbors to disturb. At the moment I use a satphone that I rent, I am so far back in the woods only fast way out is Life flight in an emergency, I even installed a windsock and have a cleared spot for landing, and registered it with the local SAR unit.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9AM, what a jerk! I don't have any neighbors to disturb. At the moment I use a satphone that I rent, I am so far back in the woods only fast way out is Life flight in an emergency, I even installed a windsock and have a cleared spot for landing, and registered it with the local SAR unit.
That's a great setup. I know a few med-evac guys even bought land from one of them. Same deal helicopter rides only. Very isolated but also means the people who live out here take more personal responsibility for their own policing, fire and ems. Community and knowing your neighbors is important.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I agree 100%, I was a 67X helicopter phase team chief and crew chief, flew left seat on non-standards a lot. Spent 2 years in 2/502 air evac in Texas picking up car wreck victims.
Sponsored