Terrain management upgrade?

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think I said somewhere in this thread to change everything but the first block because it had the vin. If I didn’t, I meant to.
You may have, I don't recall. Wasn't meant as a slight towards you in any event and was more of a don't do my first idea....
Sponsored

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Just want to add, I was able to test out the added TM option several times last week, and it works wonderfully. First it help to keep me high up on a snow bank while the locked rear was sliding in the mud off the side of the grade. Just used it out of caution on this one, but I could hear the abs module activating the entire time.

Later on I tested it specifically on an axle twister situation. tires lifted, and specifically left the locker off. with the TM on normal, but still in 4 Lo, the factory traction control was trying to activate a little, but wasn't aggressive enough to move the truck. switched to the gravel mode, and it almost immediately found the traction and easily climbed forward.

after this, I put myself in a situation where I had several tires pretty well buried against some large rocks. locker off, on normal mode, they were just spinning and unable to move. I turned on gravel mode, and it still took a lot of throttle and a bit of tire slipping, but then other tires grabbed and the truck lunged forward... this was a pretty bad application for it, because I had to use so much throttle the truck ended up with a lot of momentum once it started to move and I had to immediately jab at the bracks, and still bumped into the next rocks pretty hard.

I will definitely be using the rear locker in big rocky situations next time, but it was interesting to see what the terrain management can do, and especially how useful it is in off camber/slippery situations, which can often be the scariest.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Just want to add, I was able to test out the added TM option several times last week, and it works wonderfully. First it help to keep me high up on a snow bank while the locked rear was sliding in the mud off the side of the grade. Just used it out of caution on this one, but I could hear the abs module activating the entire time.

Later on I tested it specifically on an axle twister situation. tires lifted, and specifically left the locker off. with the TM on normal, but still in 4 Lo, the factory traction control was trying to activate a little, but wasn't aggressive enough to move the truck. switched to the gravel mode, and it almost immediately found the traction and easily climbed forward.

after this, I put myself in a situation where I had several tires pretty well buried against some large rocks. locker off, on normal mode, they were just spinning and unable to move. I turned on gravel mode, and it still took a lot of throttle and a bit of tire slipping, but then other tires grabbed and the truck lunged forward... this was a pretty bad application for it, because I had to use so much throttle the truck ended up with a lot of momentum once it started to move and I had to immediately jab at the bracks, and still bumped into the next rocks pretty hard.

I will definitely be using the rear locker in big rocky situations next time, but it was interesting to see what the terrain management can do, and especially how useful it is in off camber/slippery situations, which can often be the scariest.
Too add on what you have just mentioned inhave gotten to test it out on my truck as well. I dont have a locker in my truck and it was still helpfull. I have yet to run into snow as the season is now over but here is what I have noticed. First off to anyone who thinks it will replace a locker......... It will not!!! I have already been in a situation where a locker is needed and I was going nowhere fast. To me it more acts like a throttle control for the offroad. I haven't had any slippage at all abd that makes it very nice. I still plan to get a rear locker at the minimum and possibly a front locker when the time comes but I don't know quite yet but it is worth the upgrade for those that like going offroad!!

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Great news on hearing how well the added Terrain Management functions for us. A bit disconcerting how quiet things got on progress for adding Trail Control. Wonder if t4thfavor has heard any news back from saeb.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Great news on hearing how well the added Terrain Management functions for us. A bit disconcerting how quiet things got on progress for adding Trail Control. Wonder if t4thfavor has heard any news back from saeb.
Sorry, I’ve been swamped with summer stuff and haven’t done any extra truck work.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't believe it, but I think we ignored something obvious...
I present to you the "C-CM" AKA the Cruise Control Module...

1593047513995.png

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I can't believe it, but I think we ignored something obvious...
I present to you the "C-CM" AKA the Cruise Control Module...

1593047513995.png
I have looked at this but my spread sheet sheet shows no consistent differences between FX4 and non FX4 vehicles.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have looked at this but my spread sheet sheet shows no consistent differences between FX4 and non FX4 vehicles.
Bummer!

I thought we were just overlooking the obvious...

I sent another message to saeb, without a truck needing FX4 in my hands, I am limited in what I can do/try.

My dad is pretty conservative with his truck, he bought the knob/buttons, but I doubt he will put them in before Christmas :)

-Chance

Virtualdanno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I just tried to order the TM knob this week, and Tasca canceled my order. No inventory, and no timeline for restock. Anybody else had an issue getting this piece in?

RVA Overland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I just tried to order the TM knob this week, and Tasca canceled my order. No inventory, and no timeline for restock. Anybody else had an issue getting this piece in?
nope, I ordered from fairwayfordparts.net . took a little while but no issues.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
We must have cleaned the stock out

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
If the dealer was smart they would keep your oder in even if it is back ordered it is better to have it ordered ornit wont show up at all.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have an order in for the KB3Z-14B596 TM knob with Fairway. It's been on backorder for a month now, they just told me Ford's latest estimate is 3 Aug.

I think I may go ahead and order the Trail Control switch set. Once somebody gets that figured out, the rest of y'all are going to run the stock out on that too. Lol

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
TM knob and TC switches installed. TM works as expected with the required Forscan setting. Still waiting on TC...?

I haven’t seen this pic yet, maybe it will help the next guy. This is all the panel has to be lifted to make the changes.

1CEA1A9D-62F6-4C26-AC57-4A0BD5E9DED8.jpeg

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Seems like you did it the smart way dmeyer. I loosened up the drivers side console sidewall a little before removing the top shifter panel.

Bproctor in another thread found an interesting asbuilt decoder on github. It uses Python language which I have installed but not the current enough version of PyQT5 to use it. Not sure if it can help with options to sort out tracking down getting Trail Control to work for us.

His other thread with the program https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/fun-stuff.8631/

The GUI seems to offer more detailed explainations of settings than the other asbuilt comparers I have tried. @t4thfavor and @Geoff have you seen this program yet?
Sponsored

Last edited: