Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Any of my fellow old farts get tennis elbow? I've had a rotten case since around October / November (which I attribute to doing home renovations). In the beginning of January, I had a cortisone shot which made all the pain go away for about 2 weeks, but then it came back with a vengeance. I can hardly lift a mug of coffee without sharp pain. X-rays showed nothing.

No, I don't play tennis. :crazy:
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)
Any of my fellow old farts get tennis elbow? I've had a rotten case since around October / November (which I attribute to doing home renovations). In the beginning of January, I had a cortisone shot which made all the pain go away for about 2 weeks, but then it came back with a vengeance. I can hardly lift a mug of coffee without sharp pain. X-rays showed nothing.

Hi Anthony, I had trouble years ago when I played competitive tennis.

I used one of these during the day and during activities:
https://www.donjoyperformance.com/injury/tennis-elbow

But I found the best remedy was frequent icing.

I used a container I could submerge my arm/elbow in. (I would keep my hand above the water). Fill up the container with water and dump in as much ice as you could tolerate for about 20 minutes. ?

I did that a minimum 2X/day for about 6 weeks until it got better. Then I would ice after playing.

The icing worked great for me!
Cheers!

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Anthony, I had trouble years ago when I played competitive tennis.

I used one of these during the day and during activities:
https://www.donjoyperformance.com/injury/tennis-elbow

But I found the best remedy was frequent icing.

I used a container I could submerge my arm/elbow in. (I would keep my hand above the water). Fill up the container with water and dump in as much ice as you could tolerate for about 20 minutes. ?

I did that a minimum 2X/day for about 6 weeks until it got better. Then I would ice after playing.

The icing worked great for me!
Cheers!
Thanks much! I got the brace and have been wearing it on and off, but I'll be a bit more religious about it.

Icing! On it!

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

I've had it for 8 years now and it's been getting worse this past year. I've done everything from icing it to wearing the brace and it never fully heals. One thing that's helped some is I had a customer give me some Tylenol Arthritis and that seems to help with the inflammation.

I pretty much wear the arm brace all day now even on the good days and take the Tylenol a couple days a week and that helps the most. Mine hurts so much I bought a padded console pad for my Ranger because the stock one is to thin and I always rest my right arm on it and it was killing me.

Living out here in the desert with the low humidity and high heat really helps too but this winter has been colder than normal so mines acting up more than usual. I had a friend back east who is a carpenter and he got it so bad in his right elbow he had to use his left hand more. Well he ended up getting it there too so now he's screwed because both are killing him. lol

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I've had it for 8 years now and it's been getting worse this past year. I've done everything from icing it to wearing the brace and it never fully heals. One thing that's helped some is I had a customer give me some Tylenol Arthritis and that seems to help with the inflammation.

I pretty much wear the arm brace all day now even on the good days and take the Tylenol a couple days a week and that helps the most. Mine hurts so much I bought a padded console pad for my Ranger because the stock one is to thin and I always rest my right arm on it and it was killing me.

Living out here in the desert with the low humidity and high heat really helps too but this winter has been colder than normal so mines acting up more than usual. I had a friend back east who is a carpenter and he got it so bad in his right elbow he had to use his left hand more. Well he ended up getting it there too so now he's screwed because both are killing him. lol
I actually almost picked up some Tylenol Arthritis over the weekend. I'll give that a try as well. (PS: Hope you feel better)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I actually almost picked up some Tylenol Arthritis over the weekend. I'll give that a try as well. (PS: Hope you feel better)

Hopefully it help you too,I don't wish this pain on anyone! I have to get better at icing it but it's been to cold here this winter. I use a laptop and I have to have a folded towel under my right arm for some padding or else the table top is to hard and I get a shooting pain through my elbow. Good luck!

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Hopefully it help you too,I don't wish this pain on anyone! I have to get better at icing it but it's been to cold here this winter. I use a laptop and I have to have a folded towel under my right arm for some padding or else the table top is to hard and I get a shooting pain through my elbow. Good luck!
Dave I had symptoms like that for years and eventually I started loosing good use of my little finger. Went to a surgeon and it required surgery for Ulnar nerve release surgery in my elboe. Got rid of the pain but because I let it go so long the damage to nerves for that little finger are toast. Good luck, Bret

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
I didn’t read others replies , but I can tell you to take ibuprofen in 200 mg 4pill at a time 4 times a day for three days ( even when pain goes away ) I used to play a lot of amateur jai alai back in the day. and this is the only way the pro players kept playing . It Will work for you!! I have had to do it several times over the years( no good for you but will work)

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
I had tennis elbow, but I renamed it weed eater elbow. It got so bad that I finally gave up and had the surgery. That fixed it—no more problems.

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)
I didn’t read others replies , but I can tell you to take ibuprofen in 200 mg 4pill at a time 4 times a day for three days ( even when pain goes away ) I used to play a lot of amateur jai alai back in the day. and this is the only way the pro players kept playing . It Will work for you!! I have had to do it several times over the years( no good for you but will work)
Robert is spot-on....
An "acute" dose of 800mg ibuprofen (prescription Motrin® dose) 3-4X/day can go a long way to knocking down inflammation.

Combined with aggressive icing is your best bet. Again, this must be an "acute" regime for only a few days. (also take each dose with food!)

Chronic use of NSAID's can/will be problematic.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Dave I had symptoms like that for years and eventually I started loosing good use of my little finger. Went to a surgeon and it required surgery for Ulnar nerve release surgery in my elboe. Got rid of the pain but because I let it go so long the damage to nerves for that little finger are toast. Good luck, Bret
I had the Ulnar nerve release surgery in my elbow as well. I was loosing the use of the smaller three fingers in my left hand. It took six or seven months for them to come back but they have been good ever since and that has been a long time ago.

To the others, Don't suffer for years on end. The surgery is not all that bad and the results are worth it. And like Bret said If you wait too long the damage may not be totally reversible.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm glad that finally helped yours because the pain can be unbearable at times. Mine hurt from doing repetitious work but the only time I get shooting pains is when I rest my elbow against a hard surface like a countertop. Otherwise the pain is mostly right in that tendon on the outside of your arm that connects to your elbow. As soon as I put the brace on it's 100% better. Also my girlfriend has some prescription topical cream for her knee and she gave me a bottle which helps a lot too. It has 10% lidocaine and other anti-infalmitory stuff.

I had the Ulnar nerve release surgery in my elbow as well. I was loosing the use of the smaller three fingers in my left hand. It took six or seven months for them to come back but they have been good ever since and that has been a long time ago.

To the others, Don't suffer for years on end. The surgery is not all that bad and the results are worth it. And like Bret said If you wait too long the damage may not be totally reversible.
Mine doesn't go into my fingers at all just in that tendon that connects to the elbow. As far as surgery goes you're looking at a person who absolutely hates Dr's and only goes when somethings falling off. lol

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
I'm glad that finally helped yours because the pain can be unbearable at times. Mine hurt from doing repetitious work but the only time I get shooting pains is when I rest my elbow against a hard surface like a countertop. Otherwise the pain is mostly right in that tendon on the outside of your arm that connects to your elbow. As soon as I put the brace on it's 100% better. Also my girlfriend has some prescription topical cream for her knee and she gave me a bottle which helps a lot too. It has 10% lidocaine and other anti-infalmitory stuff.

Mine doesn't go into my fingers at all just in that tendon that connects to the elbow. As far as surgery goes you're looking at a person who absolutely hates Dr's and only goes when somethings falling off. lol
Dave my pain didnt go to the fingers it was a nerve in my elbow that hurts and it controls that little finger and half of the next one. Repetition will do it but mine was made worse by having extra muscles in my arm (rare birth defect) that didnt leave room for nerves to bend around elbow. Surgery is like carpel tunnel for your wrist. Nurse told me after surgery that there was lots of interest in this as the doctor never saw this extra muscle before
Sponsored