Teconsha p3 brake controller

Travis11

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019Tacoma
Will this brake controller work on the Ranger? I have read that it could have problems with the AEB system but have also read that people are using it?
Sponsored

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it will work. I installed it on my Ranger. The issue it creates is not that AEB won’t function, it will for the Ranger, but that the trailer brakes only won’t activate if you fail to press the brake pedal during an event. The brake pedal not the the brake light activates the trailer brakes on the P3 using the supplied 4 wires. Forward collision warning still works to alert you to apply the brakes. Ford needed to release the OEM brake controller to protect themselves from liability should an event happen when towing a trailer the brake pedal was not touched.

I don’t have adaptive cruise control but it can be a problem as well if adaptive cruise control applies the brakes without you touching the brake pedal. The truck won’t slow as quickly as the trailer brakes are not applied

So if you drive while sleeping or listening to heavy metal with ear buds or have turned Foward Collision Warning off it might be more ofan issue:)

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
Ranger has 4 wheel speed sensors (I assume because of TC) and abs all feeding back to the computer. A trailer has neither so the computational logistics of integrating an unknown variable with neither function (abs or speed sensor) into the AEB system in a way that would be both predictable and safe in function is likely impossible. I never expected AEB to work with a trailer.

I like the pre-collision warning without it doing any braking on my behalf.

OP
OP

Travis11

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019Tacoma
Thanks for the replies, I have decided to go with the REDARC Tow Pro Elite.
Sponsored