Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know what the outside diameter of the tailpipe is ? I know someone else asked about it too. TIA !!
Sponsored

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Also curious what length the exhaust pipe is from the tip to the first bend. With the outer diameter and length I can get an exhaust tip ordered and on it’s way.

Side note: I like the look of the Borla dual tip cat-back exhaust kit, but I’m not thrilled about the sound. Without any solid performance gain, the additional money and unnecessary noise make it a poor choice in my opinion.

Hirnlego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 302A
Can any one also confirm a few other exhaust questions?
Is the diameter of the entire system 2.75" / ~70mm?
Is it stainless steel? Any detail on metal?
Other than the resonator at the end are there any restrictions in the system? ie down sizing in pipe diameter. I am sure the cat and down pipe also have a few restrictions in diameter.

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
Deleted the error.

Last edited:

Hirnlego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am assuming that the same diameter is true for the long straight pipe from the down pipe to the muffler and this pipe is completely hollow. Is this correct?

The reasoning for this line of questioning is that replacing only the tail section with a high flow muffler and cleaner exit pipe would be just the same, but cheaper than investing is a full catback exhaust. The only restriction is in the tail end/muffler? Its a truck not drag car so 3" or 2.75" is the same for performance and reliability.

TommyAtomic

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Can any one also confirm a few other exhaust questions?
Is the diameter of the entire system 2.75" / ~70mm?
Is it stainless steel? Any detail on metal?
Other than the resonator at the end are there any restrictions in the system? ie down sizing in pipe diameter. I am sure the cat and down pipe also have a few restrictions in diameter.
Couple things.
Factory exhausts are almost always aluminized steel.
The Resonator is not a restriction. The muffler is a restriction. Crush bends (as opposed to mandrel bends) are a restriction. Unless there is a serious design flaw or defect; Resonators are not a restriction.

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 CC.
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just had a muffler delete done,the rest is bone stock.The replacement pipe was 3".

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Anyone know what the outside diameter of the tailpipe is ? I know someone else asked about it too. TIA !!
It's about 2-15/16". 2.904 in the horizontal.... 2.940 in the vertical

(I didn't want to get soot on my calipers.. so I didn't use the end of the jaws)

DSCF4053.JPG

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry maybe I was blind that day!

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's about 2-15/16". 2.904 in the horizontal.... 2.940 in the vertical

(I didn't want to get soot on my calipers.. so I didn't use the end of the jaws)

DSCF4053.JPG
Dang why didn’t I use mine?! And I’m not afraid to get my tools dirty. :facepalm:

Hirnlego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Say What?.... Look again.

Exhaust Pipe.jpeg

The trick with a tape measure is the tip moves a bit, thus, its movement fully extended needs to be included. I read the above as 2 and 3/4" as it is just not aligned. Another useless fact is the groove cut in the tip is to hook on nails.

I don't know muffler installs in relation to pipe size. If one were to install just a MagnaFlow muffler could you use a sleev coupling to attach a 3" to stock2.75" pipe? These mufflers come in 2.25, 2.5 and 3.0"

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The trick with a tape measure is the tip moves a bit, thus, its movement fully extended needs to be included. I read the above as 2 and 3/4" as it is just not aligned. Another useless fact is the groove cut in the tip is to hook on nails.

I don't know muffler installs in relation to pipe size. If one were to install just a MagnaFlow muffler could you use a sleev coupling to attach a 3" to stock2.75" pipe? These mufflers come in 2.25, 2.5 and 3.0"
Meh.. really? Read the tape. It's not 2-3/4. Not sure how to make it any clearer.... I even took the time to supply a diagram and go out and measure it myself with dial calipers.

2-3/4" = 2.750 always has, always will.

Any muffler or exhaust tip that is 3" i.d. will work just fine.

Exhaust Pipe.jpeg

DSCF4053.JPG

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase

Hello, I was looking for the size of the exhaust diameter to buy a tip. I’m to lazy today to walk out to my driveway. I felt the need to respond on how to properly read a tape measure.

Again, to lazy to write the explaination myself today. According to, This Old House:

The end of a tape measure wiggles on its rivets to make up for the hook's thickness. Push the tip against something for an inside measurement, and the hook is included in the reading; hook it on the end of a piece for an outside measure, and the resulting gap equals the space the hook would take up.

The measurement from the tape measure can be read as it is at the opposite side of the hook. No need to add or subtract anything.
Sponsored