Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.notion.so
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger fx4 xlt, 1988 ford ranger 4x4 xlt
Hello,

The past few weeks I have been getting an error about the blind spot monitoring system. If I would restart the truck the error would go away for some time, some times 100mi some times 5 min. Last weekend I was driving home and stopped for lunch. When I came out I saw my tail light bulging from the body of the truck. When I looked at it closer I saw that it had melted. I pulled it out and saw damage the the wiring harness and that quite a bit of the back of the tail light had melted and deformed.

Any idea what I should do? My ford warranty is expired. I have the MPP warranty, but I have a feeling it is worthless. The dealership wants $300 to look at the truck and file the warranty claim for me. Should I just file an insurance claim? Just replace the wiring harness and tail light myself? Something else?

I attached a photo of the wiring harness and tail light below.

IMG_6596.jpeg

IMG_6597.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Stephen Abbene

Stephen Abbene

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.notion.so
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Have to ask.....stock taillight/stock wiring or have any mod's been done to it ???
Biggest deciding factor. If it's factory use your warranty. Blindly swapping burnt up electronics usually doesn't end well.

If it's not. Undo what you did and repair yourself.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Wasn't there a recall years ago for the taillights on the 2019's?
That was for a connector issue - if it applied to your truck, the taillights didn't work at all. It only applied to a very small percentage but since it rendered the taillights inoperable it became a recall due to safety. I had mine checked and it was fine.

OP
OP
Stephen Abbene

Stephen Abbene

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.notion.so
Vehicle(s)
Nothing tied into wiring like extra reverse lights?
I mean there is stuff tied to the battery and dash cam stuff like that, but nothing tied to the tail light wiring.

Wasn't there a recall years ago for the taillights on the 2019's?

Yes, but it was for the connectors and I had that inspected at the time.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I mean there is stuff tied to the battery and dash cam stuff like that, but nothing tied to the tail light wiring.
I'd be real weary of just replacing parts without checking everything out. The electronics in these trucks are highly integrated. A short in any number of BMS circuits could've caused it.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Damn , that looks like it was hot for quite a long time , maybe that module went bad and started pulling mega juice , i would try and chase it to the next connector at least , but as stated above , i wouldn't go plugging things in just yet ...again , DAMN !