First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger xlt
Occupation
retired
I have a 2021 ranger xlt. Today my tailgate will not unlock (or open). I have tried to use the remote and the key but neither unlocks the tailgate. I hear a clicking sound when I hit unlock on the remote but nothing happens. I hear a whirring sound when I hit lock on the remote. I can turn the key about 30 deg ccw or 90 deg cw but neither unlocks the tailgate. I never have used the key to unlock or lock the tailgate before so I am not sure if these movements are normal or not. Anyone else have a similar problem or any suggestions to help me get this tailgate open?
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
You’re pressing the unlock button twice right? If you are then try putting pressure on the tailgate in a closed position and try the double unlock. See if that doesn’t do it. Once you do get it open might need some lubricant on the sliding latches on both sides. Let us know how that goes

OP
OP

john Rhoades

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger xlt
Occupation
retired
might have to open up the access panel and have a lookie see

1634577595831.png
Thanks for the helpful and quick response. I opened up the back as you showed and determined it was the latch, not the lock. I was then able to get the tailgate open and seem to have it working correctly now.
You’re pressing the unlock button twice right? If you are then try putting pressure on the tailgate in a closed position and try the double unlock. See if that doesn’t do it. Once you do get it open might need some lubricant on the sliding latches on both sides. Let us know how that goes
Thanks. I figured out it was not a lock but a latch problem and pushing on the gate from the inside while pulling the release got it unstuck. Appreciate the help.

JeffB

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Muastang, Mazda 6
Thanks for the helpful and quick response. I opened up the back as you showed and determined it was the latch, not the lock. I was then able to get the tailgate open and seem to have it working correctly now.

Thanks. I figured out it was not a lock but a latch problem and pushing on the gate from the inside while pulling the release got it unstuck. Appreciate the help.
Are you saying you had to push tailgate AND pull the latch? We started having the issue this week. We took the cover off and if we pull the cables it will open. it seems like the lever is not engaged correctly
Sponsored