Tailgate step?

JohnnyR38

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I received the TrekStep for Father's Day and just finished the install. With my basic tools, it took about 2 hours. It is not complicated, but the biggest PITA is getting the bed bolt back in. It would be much easier if the step frame had a hole to allow an extension to get through. I'm a pretty lean guy and there is not a lot of room to get an arm between the frame and the body. It is also kind of tough to see if you are laying on the ground like I was. I had to do a lot of it by feel followed up with a visual inspection.

If you have a wide frame for your 2" hitch and you want the step to be under the truck as far as possible, I recommend using both shims. Adding shims is very early in the install and, because of the design, they are difficult to add or remove once the step frame is mounted. I used one shim, but it was not enough to keep the step from hitting the hitch frame, so I moved the step out a little more than I originally wanted to. I will probably go back and add the second shim at some point for the aesthetics of having the step be less visable, but the step works great and the 10 y.o. daughter and 5' tall wife both like it.
Sponsored

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
Agreed. Let's face it... folks like this stuff "just because".

What I don't understand, and perhaps somebody can enlighten me on this, is the step is nearly unusable when getting back out of the truck... it's tucked up against the truck so tight you can't even see it. :crazy:

I use this 2 step stool ladder... $20 at Home Depot. Also works great for washing windows and a myriad of other tasks.

Or if $20 isn't enough, spend $38 on the 3 step model

But if I'm out and about and not at home I find the step bumper works.. or the rear tire... and I'm 58 years young.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG
We have the same ladder lol, Iā€™ve been using mine since 2015.

I have duals so getting this would interfere with it, need something towards centerline or a little left or right of it.

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Isnā€™t there an installation video online somewhere?

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
Isnā€™t there an installation video online somewhere?
I couldn't find one specific to the ranger two months ago when I installed mine. It's not very difficult and you've got us if you have any questions. :fingerscrossed:

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I couldn't find one specific to the ranger two months ago when I installed mine. It's not very difficult and you've got us if you have any questions. :fingerscrossed:
Thanks. Thought I had seen one but canā€™t find it now...

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Thanks. Thought I had seen one but canā€™t find it now...
Iā€™m installing the frame mount to linkage assembly. The M6 X 40mm screw with washer does not thread all the way through. It stops about 1/2ā€up. The shank of the screw is not threaded all the way to the head. Thereā€™s no way it will screw down tight.

Pvsaint

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2014 Tiffin Phaeton Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Fire Captain
Iā€™m installing the frame mount to linkage assembly. The M6 X 40mm screw with washer does not thread all the way through. It stops about 1/2ā€up. The shank of the screw is not threaded all the way to the head. Thereā€™s no way it will screw down tight.
Put the two shims in place and the screw will go in all the way. Adding the shims does not make the step much lower.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Funny, I've seen this elsewhere in this thread. So, I watched it watched it when I installed mine. Mine tightened up just fine without any shims.

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Funny, I've seen this elsewhere in this thread. So, I watched it watched it when I installed mine. Mine tightened up just fine without any shims.
I think theyā€™ve included the wrong screw. Diagram shows a screw threaded to the head. This one has about a 1/2ā€ unthreaded shank. Iā€™m going to call Bestop help desk Monday

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Yup, that's what I think they did.
I don't think it REALLY matters, as that screw is more for alignment than holding anything.
I thought about going to the hardware store for a shorter screw, but I installed with both shims, so the screw would seat.
I don't regret it, the extra space gives me room to use my foot to lower the step.
But, that's just me.

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Yup, that's what I think they did.
I don't think it REALLY matters, as that screw is more for alignment than holding anything.
I thought about going to the hardware store for a shorter screw, but I installed with both shims, so the screw would seat.
I don't regret it, the extra space gives me room to use my foot to lower the step.
But, that's just me.
Thanks

KnightRanger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2016 Harley FLSS,
Vehicle Showcase
I guess third timeā€˜s the charm.
My first order from Amazon, turned out to be for an F150,
The 2nd was missing the upper bracket.
So Third...I ordered straight from Bestop. :like:

Anyway,...It works well and holds my weight (198-200lbs).
Just a smidgen higher when folded, compared to the bottom center of
the oem hitch.

One thing worth mentioning is that, I had to remove one of my Baja S2 aux rear light because it would interfere with the step. ( not a big deal atm )

80CE26CC-F4A4-4FE3-A3BE-5A674DF9C53E.jpeg

4CC9C673-EF1B-47EC-8323-973E9432FAD3.jpeg

DF13C8DB-FDB6-44A3-8CB6-4FA60A3D743E.jpeg

1AD65E1D-CDC9-4E66-B470-8CFFB9CFB56B.jpeg

4AC51155-6B00-46C7-B036-7FBDE5D4768E.jpeg

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
My concern was ice/snow/slush build up, inhibiting operation. This happens with Ford's step (the one in front of the rear tire). The Trek Step is directly in the path of that slush. Where I live winter lasts from November through Mid-May, really beginning in January. Currently there is only about a foot of snow on the ground with some salt and slush on the highways. So far I'm impressed - the step is working fine. The real test will come in the next few months when the real snow arrives, and in the spring during the melt. The build up will be significant ATT.
Sponsored