Tailgate step?

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
To those of you installing one of these steps...please report back after using them during the winter when they are full of snow, ice and mud.
The Ranger will never see snow, ice, or mud... The Jeep, sure, but the Ranger, never. :LOL:
Sponsored

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
Just installed mine last weekend. It is a bit pricey, but worth every penny!! took about an hour. Must have if you climb up in your bed frequently and am a short person like me. :LOL:

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
To those of you installing one of these steps...please report back after using them during the winter when they are full of snow, ice and mud.

Although I really would like a step, I'm reluctant to make the purchase because of winter issues. The OEM Ford step on the F150 in front of the rear wheel is a royal PITA in the winter and rarely work like they are suppose to., even when well oiled. These are in the direct path of debris kicked up by the rear tire.

Those who live in heavy snow country know that in super cold heavy snow not much works as normal. Yes they are in a path behind the wheels so could be impacted. Mud flaps will help. Keeping clean and lubed will help. But to expect anything that moves to work as normal under 10F is asking a lot.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
Just installed mine last weekend. It is a bit pricey, but worth every penny!! took about an hour. Must have if you climb up in your bed frequently and am a short person like me. :LOL:
I can relate to the short person problem. I am only about 5'3" and have the added problem of operating with two hip replacements and a knee replacement. When you use this step, do you step from it to the top of the bumper to get into the bed or do you go from the step right to the bed? I am trying to decide if this will work for me.
Thanks in advance!

Pvsaint

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2014 Tiffin Phaeton Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Fire Captain
Here's a YouTube video showing its' use. About the 2:40 mark he finally uses it.
TrekStep use

I received my step a couple days ago but with temps around 105 degrees here in Tucson I'll wait til it cools down to install it.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a YouTube video showing its' use. About the 2:40 mark he finally uses it.
TrekStep use

I received my step a couple days ago but with temps around 105 degrees here in Tucson I'll wait til it cools down to install it.
Hi Paul,

20 miles south, we hit 110° in Green Valley.....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
I can relate to the short person problem. I am only about 5'3" and have the added problem of operating with two hip replacements and a knee replacement. When you use this step, do you step from it to the top of the bumper to get into the bed or do you go from the step right to the bed? I am trying to decide if this will work for me.
Thanks in advance!
I go from the step right to the tailgate / bed. Wish I lived closer so you could give it a once over.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
A question for those folks that have installed this Bestop step...

Did you wind up using any of the supplied spacers, for height?

(I haven't received mine yet, just reading the instructions, collecting tools, etc.)

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
A question for those folks that have installed this Bestop step...

Did you wind up using any of the supplied spacers, for height?

(I haven't received mine yet, just reading the instructions, collecting tools, etc.)
I did not use any.
Good because it is a lot of work to unbolt and add a shim.
Took a chance as I wanted it to fit tight. No shim works.
In relaxed position it is 8-10mm from bumper. If I lift it as much as possible I does not touch bumper and is about 2-3mm from it.
Wanted to make sure it would not bounce and hit bumper, chipping paint. Mine is adjusted all the way to right in picture. I lined it up with bumper. Can move to left 1-1.5" if one wants more step when tailgate down.

53F0BC88-B8EA-462B-9FDF-4B8586DFF7A2.jpeg

33305BC5-CB01-4BF2-858E-35FD35371560.jpeg

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I did not use any.
In relaxed position it is 8-10mm from bumper. If I lift it as much as possible I does not touch bumper and is about 2-3mm from it.
Wanted to make sure it would not bounce and hit bumper, chipping paint. Mine is adjusted all the way to right in picture. I lined it up with bumper. Can move to left 1-1.5" if one wants more step when tailgate down.

Thanks a lot Sandman, that's what I was wondering about.
Looking at the instructions, I'd have to take it down and start all over again to add a shim!
I appreciate the input.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Thanks a lot Sandman, that's what I was wondering about.
Looking at the instructions, I'd have to take it down and start all over again to add a shim!
I appreciate the input.
No problem.
Luckily I did not have to pull back down. Hope it works out.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I did not use any.

If it were mine, I'd feel a little better by adding a couple of those clear rubber bumpers to the bumper where it might contact. You can find them at any Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
If it were mine, I'd feel a little better by adding a couple of those clear rubber bumpers to the bumper where it might contact. You can find them at any Lowes, Home Depot, etc.
Agree with suggestion.
But even if I lift the step with force it does not touch. But, protection never hurts.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
that seems so expensive to me
Sponsored