Tailgate Damper idea

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Our aluminum hood has TWO dampers...take them off or you're all sissies! ?
Nice try, Sid (@Msfitoy), but nope, nope, nope and nope! These devices are hood lift supports or struts:

Hood Struts

Don't think you will find the term "damper" ever associated with these indespensable and useful devices. My boat has a strut support on the floor storage hatch and two on the sunpad hatch. I would never allow dampers on my boat or my Ranger. Never surrender!

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
And here we have proof that Tracy clearly understands the difference between a useful device (console tray) and a useless device (damper). Never surrender!
Nice try, Sid (@Msfitoy), but nope, nope, nope and nope! These devices are hood lift supports or struts:

Hood Struts

Don't think you will find the term "damper" ever associated with these indespensable and useful devices. My boat has a strut support on the floor storage hatch and two on the sunpad hatch. I would never allow dampers on my boat or my Ranger. Never surrender!
1607379680073.png

:LOL:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Hood Struts

Interior grab handles are also damped...you cannot escape the force... ? ?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Oh boy, Sid, now you are really stretching to claim a return spring is a damper. But you get an "A" for effort.
Ha...in the automotive history, Germans and the Japanese started the "damped" grab handle as it was known to improve "perceived quality"...it's not just a spring but a "damped" spring...the big three was left behind with just a spring that snaps the grab handle back when you let go...you know...like a tailgate without a damper... BANG! ?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ha...in the automotive history, Germans and the Japanese started the "damped" grab handle as it was known to improve "perceived quality"...it's not just a spring but a "damped" spring...the big three was left behind with just a spring that snaps the grab handle back when you let go...you know...like a tailgate without a damper... BANG! ?
Hi Sid,

Reminds me of the damped tone arms on the old LP vinal record players... Dual comes to mind as a leader in that era...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
Hi Sid,

Reminds me of the damped tone arms on the old LP vinal record players... Dual comes to mind as a leader in that era...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Correct Phil must be why the NEW record players are favored again . Next is old school under dash record players , Dee Zee will make them . Wow plus a damper on our sky hook roof antenna . It is a Damper world . Remember the whip antenna ?
Sponsored

Last edited: