Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase

Deleted member 1634

I knew they were going to be building Tacos in Mexico, but I thought it was supplementary to the Texas plant, not a move. I guess they aren't going to be flooding the market with Tacoma's after all.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I knew they were going to be building Tacos in Mexico, but I thought it was supplementary to the Texas plant, not a move. I guess they aren't going to be flooding the market with Tacoma's after all.
Well, it appears they will be building more than they are today - from the article:

Toyota said its production capacity for the Tacoma in Mexico will be about 266,000 per year. Last year, the automaker sold nearly 249,000 Tacoma pickup trucks in the United States, up 1.3%.
Which seems somewhat risky to me - with new players coming into the market and the Tacoma showing its age, expecting to sell more seems kind of risky to me. Thus far, it seems most of the Ranger sales came from the GM Twins and also a somewhat expanding market for mid sized trucks.

The next few years in this market will be very interesting. The new Ranger, a potential new Dakota, possibly a Tacoma refresh and who knows what else. It is all good for us consumers....

Deleted member 1634

Well, it appears they will be building more than they are today - from the article:

Which seems somewhat risky to me - with new players coming into the market and the Tacoma showing its age, expecting to sell more seems kind of risky to me. Thus far, it seems most of the Ranger sales came from the GM Twins and also a somewhat expanding market for mid sized trucks.

The next few years in this market will be very interesting. The new Ranger, a potential new Dakota, possibly a Tacoma refresh and who knows what else. It is all good for us consumers....
True. I guess a "flood" to me meant having both plants running at full clip, which would essentially double Tacoma production. This might be their "safe" ramp up to test the waters if the public desire is there for that many Taco's. I agree it's risky in this day and age of midsize truck development. We'll see what happens.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
True. I guess a "flood" to me meant having both plants running at full clip, which would essentially double Tacoma production. This might be their "safe" ramp up to test the waters if the public desire is there for that many Taco's. I agree it's risky in this day and age of midsize truck development. We'll see what happens.
Yeah, not a "flood", more like a small leak. :) It will be interesting to see if they continue to maintain sales if they don't do a significant refresh on the Taco.

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
My traded 2017 Tacoma sr5 was built in Mexico, and I thought they already did a refresh in 2016 that my x bought and I liked the looks so I bought one too, however I traded it for a full size one year later, here is a pic of that Tacoma along with my hot little Ranger that beats the Tacoma in all aspects. That is my opine anyhow.

0914193537.jpg

1028190843a.jpg

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

If you want the real thing in Tucson...here is El Gureo Canelo. A taco stand that grew into a must go place in Tucson...Their Sammy Dogs are superb...Showcased in Bon Apatite. 12th Street and Utah in South Tucson. Sonoran Hotdog at its finest!
calelopanoverall.jpg

lower left is how it started... Upper right is today!

Best.
Phil Schike
Ranger Vehicle Enginering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored