First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I'm not discounting that it is happening and a problem. But why? What is the issue that requires Toyota to issue a recall as opposed to any other number of outside factors? I'm just curious is all. My brother is looking into used Gen2 Tacos and it'd suck to exasperate any design flaw with a few nice salty Great Lakes winters.
The issue is they care enough to make it right. Toyota gets bashed a lot about this but when they find an issue they do the right thing and fix it.
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

The issue is they care enough to make it right. Toyota gets bashed a lot about this but when they find an issue they do the right thing and fix it.
That's the gist I'm getting as well. If anything this almost makes me want to buy a Toyota. Every vehicle rusts out eventually. Seems like Toyota is owning up to something that naturally happens, albeit maybe slightly accelerated in the Tacoma's case. Can't say that about any other manufacturer (as far as I know). In fact, I'd hazard to say that most Toyota's rust much less than other manufacturer's. I will say that my wife's previous 2008 Corolla had a heck of a lot less rust (essentially none) than my brothers 2008 Mercury Milan which is basically falling apart from rust. Same age, same environment all their life, same type of driving. I've always hated how little the Big 3 seem to care about rust and rust prevention.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
That's the gist I'm getting as well. If anything this almost makes me want to buy a Toyota. Every vehicle rusts out eventually. Seems like Toyota is owning up to something that naturally happens, albeit maybe slightly accelerated in the Tacoma's case. Can't say that about any other manufacturer (as far as I know). In fact, I'd hazard to say that most Toyota's rust much less than other manufacturer's. I will say that my wife's previous 2008 Corolla had a heck of a lot less rust (essentially none) than my brothers 2008 Mercury Milan which is basically falling apart from rust. Same age, same environment all their life, same type of driving. I've always hated how little the Big 3 seem to care about rust and rust prevention.
When we traded in our '02 Tacoma TRD for our 2019 Ranger it was immaculate. 17 years and it was the best truck we've every owned.

I'm hoping in 2036 I can say the same thing about our Ranger...

Deleted member 1634

Decades of lawsuits.

DE67186F-23A8-4B87-9972-FFEC6E6078FA.png
A "good" lawyer/law firm can make a lawsuit about how green beans are too green and discriminatory to other colors. Doesn't mean it's legitimate and actually an issue in the real world. In my opinion a majority of these types of lawsuits are just a way for lawyers to make a bunch of money by gaming the system and tricking uninformed people into thinking they've been sold something bad.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Frame rust THROUGH on a 6 or 7 year old truck frame is not normal. It is good that Toyota takes care of it . The rust coating they provide now only lasts 1 year.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
This looks like a scammy sales tactic--I don't believe that Toyota corporate is hand writing recall notices.
This notice comes from dealer when you dont reply to the one Toyota sent out.

Deleted member 1634

Frame rust THROUGH on a 6 or 7 year old truck frame is not normal. It is good that Toyota takes care of it . The rust coating they provide now only lasts 1 year.
See, that's some of the info I was looking for. I would expect, and have experienced, similar conditions in 10-11 years, but in 6-7 years I would be disappointed. My Focus was 13 years old when traded and darn near undriveable. My brother's Milan is getting there (12 years old now) and definitely on the same path, hence looking at new (to him) vehicles. I still wouldn't have expected the manufacturer to do anything about it though, so my kudos to Toyota still stands.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
My 2017 Tacoma had rust on the frame in a year of ownership. I even got a notice in the mail about the frame replacement after I traded that pile off for the Ranger. So glad I did it too.
Sponsored