Tacoma recall for rust prevention.

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
Just got this in the mail for a truck I traded a few years ago. I read awhile back that 2017 Tacoma owners in areas that use salt on the roads were getting notices saying they had to get an inspection done by the dealer or Toyota wouldn't cover frame rot. Still not regretting my Ranger purchase.

D9B993ED-673C-4F08-81C9-A4F88419C672.jpeg
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

I guess I don't understand. All vehicles will experience frame rust and deterioration over time. Including our trucks one day. Especially for those of us living in the salty areas (whether that's the places that experience winter or those near the ocean). Heck my 2001 Ford Focus was damn near rusted through to the point of being dangerous when I traded it in in 2014, nothing unexpected about that. What is different about the Tacos that require a recall and all the concern?

OP
OP
Dokkenmire

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
I guess I don't understand. All vehicles will experience frame rust and deterioration over time. Including our trucks one day. Especially for those of us living in the salty areas (whether that's the places that experience winter or those near the ocean). Heck my 2001 Ford Focus was damn near rusted through to the point of being dangerous when I traded it in in 2014, nothing unexpected about that. What is different about the Tacos that require a recall and all the concern?
I don't know but this has been happening on and off for decades. They've had leaf springs break too on thousands of trucks.
I was horrified by all the stuff that was wrong with people's trucks on the Tacoma World forums.

Deleted member 1634

Matt.when your put a Taco on a lift to change oil the truck folds in half ! Look at some google photos.
I'm not discounting that it is happening and a problem. But why? What is the issue that requires Toyota to issue a recall as opposed to any other number of outside factors? I'm just curious is all. My brother is looking into used Gen2 Tacos and it'd suck to exasperate any design flaw with a few nice salty Great Lakes winters.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just got this in the mail for a truck I traded a few years ago. I read awhile back that 2017 Tacoma owners in areas that use salt on the roads were getting notices saying they had to get an inspection done by the dealer or Toyota wouldn't cover frame rot. Still not regretting my Ranger purchase.

Hi OP,

The operative word here is rust resistant...not rustproof.... wonder if they even knock off the rust or just slap something over the rusting components?

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Deleted member 1634

That's not a reason for manufacturers to intervene. That's a thing that naturally happens to every vehicle that sees salt or other corrosive materials. If failure do to rust warranted OEM intervention and recall then manufacturers would go out of business fast from every person in the north.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab

This looks like a scammy sales tactic--I don't believe that Toyota corporate is hand writing recall notices.

Deleted member 1634

Again, I'm not discounting that it happens. Obviously it does. But I'm sure this has happened to many vehicles from many different manufacturers throughout the years. Our Ford Explorer plow truck probably would've done the same thing at the end if we had tried. I just want to know why Toyota, and the Tacoma specifically, is different and considered to be worse because of it. Is there a design flaw in the frame that allows corrosive materials to pool up, or inadequate coatings that wouldn't protect as well, or what? All my internet searching seems to hint at inadequate coatings, but all the pictures I've seen don't look much worse than vehicles from other manufacturers I've seen, including previous Fords I've owned.

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
A co-worker who has an older Taco (2008 or 09 I think) got his frame replaced via recall a couple of years ago. The truck was well out of warranty. He got the notice, took it in for inspection, they declared it unsafe and gave him a loaner. They had to order the parts and it took over 3 months all together. When he went to pick it up there were quite a few things that still needed to be done, which they did in a couple of days. He's been well satisfied with the repair.
Sponsored