sync screen locked up, regretting this buy more every day

buster

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
so it asks me, repeatedly, if I want to check for updates. today I said yes, and it found my wireless network, then froze .

Hooked up a different cable to my iPhone, because the front USBs haven't worked at all. At least with this cable it comes and goes lol. I can feel it in my hand cycling on and off. Tried a couple other cables and had the same outcome.

Still cant get the backrest to latch lol, tried everything posted on this site. But after a while you worry about damaging something trying to slam it shut.

Dozens of new car purchases, never a problem with any of them except the occasional recall. 4 new Silverados, never a problem. Wanted to move into a smaller truck, but hated the Colorado, drove the others, and the Ranger I first drove beat them all hands down. But, that one was an XLT and I wanted a Lariat. The Lariat I bought has ALL of the problems and then some. Built 12/18.

Still love the looks, and the way it handles aside from the vibration at take off, and shimmy when you brake.
Sponsored

Julie dominesey

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt fx4 and a 2018 Ford f 150 xlt fx4
You ansolutely have to use an I phone cable.. my xr hates aftermarket cable ... turn off the automatic updates in the sync settings .. mine does that shit too...you latch on the back seat requires resetting with your finger.. itā€™s not hard .. a little bar is in the way .. when sync locks up use the power button and the right track button , hold both in until it reboots ... at oil change Iā€™m telling them to check for software updates hopefully they will have some by then ... .. I bought a CD player through the dealership .. it donā€™t see half tge tracks on a new cd .. 500 bucks installed that shit is coming out getting my money back ... except for the few bugs I love my truck .. Coloradoā€™s blowing torque converters left and right , Tacomaā€™s your ass on the floor .. and as soon as you hit 1000 miles on your ranger you will see better gas mileage and more power ( Iā€™m at 1250) ...in closing you have to reset that mechanism on the seat back , move it with your finger .. after that itā€™s good

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Definitely a learning curve for me with the SYNC system and integrating my phone. Previous car was very sparse on tech.

Glad to hear the truck keeps getting better as it breaks in. I am at 900 miles and already I can feel the difference.

Buster: don't give up! We are all facing little problems here and there but if you are patient and read through the forums most of them can be fixed yourself, which I personally enjoy. I had the rear seat latch problem too. Even though one of the rubber bumpers had already been removed I still couldn't get it to latch so I put some washers behind the latch plate on the back of the truck. Took ten minutes going slowly and cost $5. Plus now I know how everything works with the back seat!

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
so it asks me, repeatedly, if I want to check for updates. today I said yes, and it found my wireless network, then froze .

Hooked up a different cable to my iPhone, because the front USBs haven't worked at all. At least with this cable it comes and goes lol. I can feel it in my hand cycling on and off. Tried a couple other cables and had the same outcome.

Still cant get the backrest to latch lol, tried everything posted on this site. But after a while you worry about damaging something trying to slam it shut.

Dozens of new car purchases, never a problem with any of them except the occasional recall. 4 new Silverados, never a problem. Wanted to move into a smaller truck, but hated the Colorado, drove the others, and the Ranger I first drove beat them all hands down. But, that one was an XLT and I wanted a Lariat. The Lariat I bought has ALL of the problems and then some. Built 12/18.

Still love the looks, and the way it handles aside from the vibration at take off, and shimmy when you brake.
Check this list for TSBs: List of Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) for 2019+ Ford Ranger

Try updating your Sync 3 with the USB method: Sync 3 v3.3 Update Available - 4U5T-14G381-AM

For resetting Sync 3: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/productivity-screen-froze.2074/#post-24859

Ramran

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
I'm having the same issues with the screen locking up every time I connect my iphone via USB. I tried several different cables but same problem. Ford representative suggested I reboot sync 3 and that worked for about ten minutes then locked up again.

Ramran

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
I'm having the same issues with the screen locking up every time I connect my iphone via USB. I tried several different cables but same problem. Ford representative suggested I reboot sync 3 and that worked for about ten minutes then locked up again.
I have version 3.3 that hasn't made a difference. I also have tried the reboot and fix was only temporary.

One Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
family fleet of 4
I have version 3.3 that hasn't made a difference. I also have tried the reboot and fix was only temporary.
I had the same issue. I have my company email app on my iPhone, and it sets several policies on the phone, one of which forces it to lock after a few seconds (I think it is 15 sec), so my iPhone is in a constant lock state. Here's what works for me--I just unlock the iPhone before plugging it into the USB on the Ranger. I have not had the issue since. Give it a try and reply back on this thread.

Ramran

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
I had the same issue. I have my company email app on my iPhone, and it sets several policies on the phone, one of which forces it to lock after a few seconds (I think it is 15 sec), so my iPhone is in a constant lock state. Here's what works for me--I just unlock the iPhone before plugging it into the USB on the Ranger. I have not had the issue since. Give it a try and reply back on this thread.
This didn't work but if I reboot the system win accessory mode and the phone is plugged in to the USB and unlocked and then I get the connection including Apple Carplay with no screen lock up(although I was in a parked vehicle for less than a couple minutes?) . However this is not a suitable solution for one thing the clock sets back one hour everytime I reboot. Also if I unplug the USB cord and plug it back in the sync screen immediately locks.

Just spent another 35 minutes on ford sync chat site. They had me try about 6 fixes that didn't fix. They called it an escalated case and will respond in 1-3 businness days. I will repost when I hear something.

Last edited:

LARanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Hybrid
This didn't work but if I reboot the system win accessory mode and the phone is plugged in to the USB and unlocked and then I get the connection including Apple Carplay with no screen lock up(although I was in a parked vehicle for less than a couple minutes?) . However this is not a suitable solution for one thing the clock sets back one hour everytime I reboot. Also if I unplug the USB cord and plug it back in the sync screen immediately locks.

Just spent another 35 minutes on ford sync chat site. They had me try about 6 fixes that didn't fix. They called it an escalated case and will respond in 1-3 businness days. I will repost when I hear something.
Were you able to get this resolved?

Ramran

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Were you able to get this resolved?
I was. I tried three USB cables and it kept locking. Ford told me to take it back to the dealer and the service tech. plugged his iphone in and it worked. He asked me to try mine and it worked and has been working ever since. He nor I have any idea why but it's working. Very strange.

Last edited:

TSquare

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I too am facing this issue. Bought new yesterday, went back to dealer today, 3 different iPhones world, mine wouldn't. What I ended up doing is doing a master reset on the radio. I then reset my iPhone to factory conditions. DO NOT LINK THE FORD PASS APP or set-up WiFi, just plug in tour phone and it will work after that.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Raise the center headrest and the rear will latch easily.
Sponsored