Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor & 2005 Land Rover LR3
Occupation
Do things for peoples
Hi - new guy here.

As a current owner of a overland fitted 2005 Land Rover LR3 (Ford V6 model) with 220,000 miles and several awesome overland adventures, I'm starting to rethink continuing to throw money towards more frequent repairs. I want a new daily driver that's just as off-road capable, and from what I've seen stock FX4 and Tremor are definitely capable.

Aside from tires, lift, skidplates (if I don't go with a Tremor) and frame mounted rock sliders, I'd be considering a canopy (RSI SmartCap) and drawers/organization (Decked or something) for the bed. Already have a rack and RTT.

• What are the key pros and cons you see in going with a pickup vs SUV for off-roading? Or, what will I miss the most switching from and SUV and what will I love the most with a pickup?
  • How do people mount 12V fridges to protect them from the elements (I've got an ARB Classic 50L)?

Thanks.
Sponsored

driverdenali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XL SXT
Hey there! I ended up getting a ranger, since my fj cruiser finally but the bullet after many hard years and miles of off-roading, i was originally in the market for a bronco, but unfortunately I have received numerous phone calls letting me know my bronco 5 speed with the Sasquatch package was going to be pushed back to December 2021, possibly even 2022, if they even continued to even offer it(possible line up cut). This uncertainty pushed me to the ranger.

Pros
Has a bed
Easier mounting points for spare outside of underneath
Longer wheel base for towing

cons:
Lack of ability to sleep in environment controlled area
Longer wheel base for off-roading than suv like two door bronco or wrangler.
have to buy accessories like cap for weather protection
decked system for storage or general truck cleanliness

i think since It’s a smaller truck it’s pretty closely related to suv in driving characteristics. The availability for customization is awesome too, you can also remove the bed and build a flat rack with camping setup that you see on some hardcore overlanders Tacoma’s and hiluxs.

I’d mostly say it comes down to
Preference of comfort, since most body on frame suv, will have the same strength and ability as a truck.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Between an SUV to Pickup there are plenty of Pros and Cons between the two and it really comes down to what you are willing to put up with. Here are two videos from an offroader in Australia that has a lot of good general information for the Offroad.

Fair warning that the second one is an hour long but still has good information

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
Hi - new guy here.

• What are the key pros and cons you see in going with a pickup vs SUV for off-roading? Or, what will I miss the most switching from and SUV and what will I love the most with a pickup?
  • How do people mount 12V fridges to protect them from the elements (I've got an ARB Classic 50L)?
We went from living our outdoor adventures in a minivan fitted with an indoor bed/storage/solar to the ranger with a cap. So not an SUV comparison but similar in terms of living spaces.

We sorely miss the minivan experience when it’s raining. We used to be able to park, get in the living space easily without going outside, pop the lift gate and cook with it acting as our mini shelter, and enjoy big views out the back. It was easy living.

we don’t have any buyers remorse about the ranger. We made our decision for a reason. But I do miss having hermetically sealed living space.

even with the great lengths I have gone to to seal the cap it still lets a bit of dust and rain in which the minivan and an SUV would not.

it sounds like you would probably not be as affected by this though if you are already comfortable with a RTT setup

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hi - new guy here.

As a current owner of a overland fitted 2005 Land Rover LR3 (Ford V6 model) with 220,000 miles and several awesome overland adventures, I'm starting to rethink continuing to throw money towards more frequent repairs. I want a new daily driver that's just as off-road capable, and from what I've seen stock FX4 and Tremor are definitely capable.

Aside from tires, lift, skidplates (if I don't go with a Tremor) and frame mounted rock sliders, I'd be considering a canopy (RSI SmartCap) and drawers/organization (Decked or something) for the bed. Already have a rack and RTT.

Thanks.
First thing you should ask yourself is do you need a pickup or just want one? Also do you have a need to carry items that require a truck bed? I ask because I need my Ranger for work as I carry stuff in the back so a SUV/Jeep os out of the question for me right now. I do have a new Bronco on order which I will use primarily for off roading so I'm going in the opposite direction you are. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my Ranger but I think the Bronco fits me better for my off road use. I will keep both for at least a year then decide what I'm going to do, whether to keep my Ranger or sell it. I might just hold out and see if a Raptor version comes out in a couple years too.

The wheel base is similar on both but some places are just more difficult with a truck to off road. If you're overlanding I think having everything closed up inside is a much better option. You're going to spend a decent amount of money for a good cap and possibly a RTT where a SUV everything is enclosed and you can ( depending on size) sleep in the back if needed.

Towing is another thing to consider. The Bronco can only tow up to 3,500 lbs where the Ranger is 7,500 lbs. That alone is a huge deal breaker for many who have larger campers or boats.

OP
OP
ksuds49

ksuds49

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor & 2005 Land Rover LR3
Occupation
Do things for peoples
Thanks all for the awesome suggestions on things to consider. I test drove a Ranger Tremor today and fell in love.

Ended up pulling the trigger. We’ll see how it goes as I start eyeing different mods.
Sponsored