First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Supercab
Occupation
Professional Lurker
I've been working to get a new Switch-Pros 9100 installed in my Ranger. I wanted to post this log to partly help anyone else who might run into similar issues, and partly get feedback on my method.

WARNING: I'm often an idiot, and you might break stuff if you follow what I did. This is here for info/help with no warranty or guarantees.

I bought the kit from SDHQ to make the install easier - and it's a great kit.

However, the hard/fun part has been getting an Ignition source for the blue wire. The blue wire appears to just be a 12v sensor, and there's no real load on the circuit.

A lot of people have had varying suggestions - most along the lines of:
  • Use a piggyback fuse and run a wire through the seal on the Battery Junction Box (Engine fuse box.)
  • Run a wire through the firwall and use a piggyback fuse in the Body Control Module (Driver footwell fuse box.)
I didn't like either of those options.. so I decided to take a different route. I decided to tap an ignition switched circuit wire past the BJB (Engine fuse box.)

I started a thread here to find out wire colors/circuits - found the info myself and updated my own thread.. but the data here is what I used to make this work.

Armed with that info, I did some tests on my fuse box to find out which fuse would be a good candidate to tap. I finally decided to tap F19 - the Power Steering Control Module fuse. This fuse is ignition switched and came on as I expected and desired the ignition lead to work.

Step 1.png

step1b.png

Now, If I'd done a piggyback connector - I could have just added a micro3 connector and been done. But I decided to go the complicated route. I pulled the connectors and tapped the wires under the fuse panel.

The connector I was going to tap for Fuse 19 was Connector 1035A - the left connector as you look at the fuse box from the front of the hood.

step2c.png

The pin I needed to tap was Pin 19.. however you'll see above I also circled Pin 30 here's why:

step2b.png

Unfortunately for me - Pin 19 AND Pin 30 are both a 20-gage brown wire with a white stripe.. dang. This is solvable though, but we'll need to do some trial and error.

First, I disconnected the negative lead on the battery (Important!), then Fully removed the interior fuse box. This isn't trivial but it's common - you'll need to do this if you ever have to change some of the bottom fuses. There's a good thread here on how to do this, with a damn good YouTube video of the process.

With the fuse box removed, you can see the 1035A and 1035B connector/harness cables run under the fuse box.
IMG-7055.jpg

I cut the zip tie securing both connectors, and I removed the tape from the 1035A connector - it has a plastic shield taped around it.
IMG-7057.jpg

Once the tape is gone and the shield is removed - yup, there are two 20-gage brown-with-white stripe wires! Note - these almost looked grey, not brown..
IMG-7058.jpg

So what to do? The way I figured out the correct wire was to tap one, then use a multimeter continuity test and see if the tapped wire was Pin 19 or Pin 30.

The taps I used were Posi-Tap wire taps, as they are less "destructive" to the cables (in my opinion.) Not water tight, however.

Well, the first one I picked and tapped was of course Pin 30. So I untapped it and taped over it to be safe. Here's a pic of the wrong wire (electric taped) and the correct wire (under finger.)
IMG-7064.jpg

Tapping the other wire and success, the meter beeped on Pin 19.
IMG-7065.jpg

Next, I routed the Switch-Pros blue wire under the plastic BJB mount - where the harness wires were run. Easy to get it it there by going along side the battery.
I used the tap to secure the blue wire to the tapped circuit.
IMG-7066.jpg

After that, it was a matter of taping things back up
IMG-7071.jpg

Reassembling, and testing - everything was good to go!

After about 24h of testing - everything is great so far.. we'll see if it stays that way.

Hope this helps someone else out, and if anyone thinks there could be issues how I did it - please let me know your thoughts!
Sponsored

chaps

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I need a key-on circuit to tap as well. In my case it is to signal a DC-DC charger for a LiFPO4 (lithium) battery used for camping. I need mine inside the cab, so this is a bit much. I thought it would be easy to find fuse in the BCM (left of steering column) fuse box that works. I have so far tried 28 (amplifier) 34 (Run/Start relay) and a couple others. So far all are “hot” with key off. Suggestions ?

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Engine bay fuse box #24 is a switched spare (high amp). Also you can use a fuse tap on inside #35 as a switched power for an acc.

OP
OP
ebob9

ebob9

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Supercab
Occupation
Professional Lurker
Yes, I never updated this thread - but I ended up following the BB guide and adding a pin to BCM3 in the drivers fuse panel, and just running through the firewall.

I ordered DU2Z-14474-DA for the pin/wire, and did it "as proper" based on the" 2021 Ranger BBLB R1" body builder guide at https://fordbbas.com/publications.

My guide above works fine, but I decided to swap to the "proper" route after other modifications.

1707503067173.png
Sponsored