SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
My wife has a Tacoma, I have a Ranger. I prefer the Tacoma ride to the Ranger. What can I do to make the Ranger similar?
Thanks
Sponsored

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I had a 2010 Tacoma, which is quite a bit different than the newer models. Like many Toyota trucks that I have driven, the 2010 had a suspension that really started to work well off-road at about 45 MPH. Below that it was stiff and rough-riding. I don’t find my non-FX4 Ranger to be that way. It seems much smoother on rough roads at 25-35 than I ever experienced with any smaller Toyota. The Land Cruisers and early Tundra/Sequoia are exceptions.

So, what is it that you like about the Tacoma, and what do you dislike about the Ranger? They are both easily customized for different preferences. I hate the Tacoma seats, so the Ranger was an obvious alternative for me.

OP
OP
SFB

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2010 Tacoma, which is quite a bit different than the newer models. Like many Toyota trucks that I have driven, the 2010 had a suspension that really started to work well off-road at about 45 MPH. Below that it was stiff and rough-riding. I don’t find my non-FX4 Ranger to be that way. It seems much smoother on rough roads at 25-35 than I ever experienced with any smaller Toyota. The Land Cruisers and early Tundra/Sequoia are exceptions.

So, what is it that you like about the Tacoma, and what do you dislike about the Ranger? They are both easily customized for different preferences. I hate the Tacoma seats, so the Ranger was an obvious alternative for me.
I agree, I hate the seats too. What I don’t like about the Ranger is it’s rebound! Damn near launches me! Tacoma does not do that. My wife’s is a 2017. There is a lot that I dislike about the Tacoma. I don’t off road on anything tougher than a graded dirt road, it’s not 4WD. Thanks

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree, I hate the seats too. What I don’t like about the Ranger is it’s rebound! Damn near launches me! Tacoma does not do that. My wife’s is a 2017. There is a lot that I dislike about the Tacoma. I don’t off road on anything tougher than a graded dirt road, it’s not 4WD. Thanks
One quirk of the Ranger suspension (mine, at least) is that that the rear end rocks harshly when the rear wheels encounter a difference in pavement height while turning. The entrance to our town dump was recently repaved, and there is a 2-3” difference between the road and the driveway. If I’m turning left into the dump, the truck rocks side-to-side very strongly as the rear wheels cross the irregularity. It doesn’t happen when I’m making a (slower) right turn, so maybe has mostly to do with spring frequency. One feature of the tapered leaf springs is that they lack the internal friction of multi-leaf packs, and can respond more quickly than traditional springs. Perhaps a bit more damping would be better in certain situation, but everything is a compromise, and I can’t guess how the Ranger would respond without actually testing it. I keep the lid on my coffee cup :)

OP
OP
SFB

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the lid is ALWAYS on. Would different shocks help this?

Reactions: Doc

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, the lid is ALWAYS on. Would different shocks help this?
I’m no suspension expert, but I think that an anti-sway bar would be a good thing to try. I think I’ve read about them being installed in other markets, but can’t guess what other components may be different than the USA model. Aftermarket bars are popular with the towing crowd, so there may be something out there for us.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
SFB

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m no suspension expert, but I think that an anti-sway bar would be a good thing to try. I think I’ve read about them being installed in other markets, but can’t guess what other components may be different than the USA model. Aftermarket bars are popular with the towing crowd, so there may be something out there for us.
Will definitely check it out,
Thanks

ParkerAzJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ranger 2019 Ranger
There are many options for good shocks available for the Ranger. I've read good reports from Icon, Fox, Eibach & Bilstien. I installed an Icon stage 3 kit with reservoirs on the rear because they met my needs and am extremely happy with them. Read more members posts & choose what you feel is best for you. IMO any one you get will be better than the stock shocks, they really screwed up on their valving.

OP
OP
SFB

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There are many options for good shocks available for the Ranger. I've read good reports from Icon, Fox, Eibach & Bilstien. I installed an Icon stage 3 kit with reservoirs on the rear because they met my needs and am extremely happy with them. Read more members posts & choose what you feel is best for you. IMO any one you get will be better than the stock shocks, they really screwed up on their valving.
Thank you, everything I’ve heard has been good, great group here, thank you all

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
As mentioned from others there are plenty of options. Just be aware that a Ranger will NEVER ride like a Tacoma. Now if you are looking at the possibility of going offroad then I would suggest the Old Man EMU lift kit. I myself have it and I can say that it cleaned up the on road and off road characteristics for the truck. It also feels like a truck too!! Will it get you closer to the Tacoma feel? Probably not because Toyota has focused on comfort over load carrying so much that the Tacoma rides like a car. My brother decided not to buy a Tacoma for that reason and I dont blame him. This is my suggestion to you. You can still do what you want since it is your truck and you should make it what you want it to be. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
SFB

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It does, and I thank you for your input. I don’t care if it rides like a car, I just want to clean it up a bit. I love the truck, after driving my wife’s Tacoma for a couple of days I was so happy to have it back. It was in the shop for the tail light recall, updated tranny software, it was hunting a bit, now it shifts much better, also I picked up road crap and I had to buy a new tire! 17k and a new tire. Wish with what we pay these days for cars that tires would at least have road hazard warranty

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I think a new set of eibach or similar shocks all around and possibly adding a rear sway bar would make a big difference for you, without breaking the bank.

Reactions: SFB
OP
OP
SFB

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think a new set of eibach or similar shocks all around and possibly adding a rear sway bar would make a big difference for you, without breaking the bank.
This seems to be the consensus! And as soon as I can I will do it. I am not familiar with Eibach shocks, but they are local to me and several have recommended them. Which variety of Eibachs should I get? Recommendations!
Sponsored