First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
I agree with the crew. It looks like I don't make mistakes because I often don't have the stones to post them for everyone to see. Thanks for sharing a learning lesson, I'm sure we will all give our equipment a second look on the next oil change thanks to this!
Sponsored

The Last Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Quite along time ago I put on an oil filter and didn't realize the rubber gasket from the old oil filter was still there. Made quite a mess when I started the vehicle, had to buy a bag of speedy dry, think thats the name, and I still have the bag for my oil debacles which still happen from time to time as I've never had anyone change my oil, except on my company vehicles years ago.

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Quite along time ago I put on an oil filter and didn't realize the rubber gasket from the old oil filter was still there. Made quite a mess when I started the vehicle, had to buy a bag of speedy dry, think thats the name, and I still have the bag for my oil debacles which still happen from time to time as I've never had anyone change my oil, except on my company vehicles years ago.
Ya, I used cat litter we had on hand. Still need to take some dish soap to the remainder. It was quite the spectacle.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
well we all do it. I think I was 14 or 15 changing the oil on my dads new truck. I have been wrenching on his vehicles for him since I was about 12 at the time. He is a car guy in the sense that he likes them, not mechanically inclined about them.

So anyway I drain it and swap the filter all is well. Pour in the gallon jug and grab another gallon to put the last quart in. At this point my foot slips. I look down and there is oil everywhere. Drain plug was sitting on the core support still.... This was fun. Considering I couldn't drive and we were at his shop on a weekend and no one else was there....
Sponsored