Supercab underseat Kenwood subwoofer install

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Hello all,

Not sure i have it in me to do a full build thread for this, but spent a couple hours this a.m. working through it.

I didn't want to give up the underseat storage (bungies, ratchet straps, etc.). The supercab has so little room for stowing items so didn't want to further reduce.

I tried an 8" sub enclosure, but it became clear quite quickly that was not going to work. I ended up with the following:

1. Kenwood KSC-SW11 compact powered subwoofer.
2. Scosch LOC2SL - line out converter.

Honestly, the amp takes a high-level input regularly so maybe just skipping the LoC would be the cleaner route, and i'm not sure it would result in much quality difference. I figured at least i could skip the remote, but the LoC is such low quality that the remote was a bit finicky - i may need to replace it. It's not my crimping - i think the cable is just very low strand count and the direction it routes the remote out is not intuitive. Running a remote cable would have been less work, hah. I've got it all positioned and if it cuts out at all, i'll be returning and replacing.

I thought about mounting between the two seats in the rear, but decided i really wanted it under a seat. I did end up having to remove a piece of the under seat vent funnel. With the floor liners i have, they are effectively pointing at a 2" raised wall, so not sure this has much downside - plus i can brag about an air conditioned amp.

This is my third install in my own vehicle (have done them in friends cars i guess). First car was 2x12, 1000watts RMS system. super high db sensitivity. Second was in my last car which was a single 10" DVC sub in a custom downfiring enclosure. This is obviously a huge step down from that, but i am quite happy with how integrated it is. You can't even see it when installed.

To install, I tapped into the speaker wires on each side, and ran the right side over to the left behind the carpet along the vertical face of the under-seat area. I broke a cardinal rule in audio installs, and actually tapped into Fuse (I think #29 is the one i used). This thing pulls 10amps. For anything more i certainly wouldn't, but it's plenty fine for this system. I added ground by the wire bundle on the driver side. I fished the wire under the carpet (there is an existing hole under the seat), and tucked the LoC in front. Skipping the LoC would make this much neater in front of the sub (although not visible). I wasn't planning on using the remote - i wanted to set it and forget it, but while i test reliability of the remote line i will keep it plugged in.

Finally, some velcro adhesive on the bottom of the enclosure holds it securely to the carpet.

In terms of audio quality, it is a huge improvement. I'm not sure what frequencies the stock speakers are capable of, but turning the sub from "min"/off to about mid power level really shows how much of the songs are missing.

21-08-19 08-27-29 1410.jpg

21-08-19 09-26-37 1413.jpg

21-08-19 10-05-01 1414.jpg

21-08-19 10-20-33 1416.jpg

21-08-19 10-20-43 1417.jpg

21-08-19 10-29-43 1418.jpg

21-08-19 10-52-49 1421.jpg

21-08-19 10-32-12 1420.jpg
Sponsored

JoeDirt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
I'm looking at that same sub. Good to see how it fits, I couldn't visualize it based on the size posted on the Crutchfield page. my only concern is in the winter that will become a heated sub. I think I'm going to put mine behind the rear seat in my crew.

OP
OP
maxbottomtime

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
I'm looking at that same sub. Good to see how it fits, I couldn't visualize it based on the size posted on the Crutchfield page. my only concern is in the winter that will become a heated sub. I think I'm going to put mine behind the rear seat in my crew.
No doubt. It seems the supercrew can even fit wedges, so behind the rear is the ideal spot for that.

Fair point on the heating, but with the power draw I can't imagine it will be an issue, but will monitor. Would be easy enough to block the vent if it becomes an issue.

towpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariet F150
I have a sound ordnance B8pt under the drivers seat of my Jeep liberty. I am leaving it in when I trade (its old now) but I sure will miss it. Even hidden sub woofers make a big difference in a car/truck. in time I will probably do something to the ranger. I wanted to do so somethign to my Cmax but that had the system that reduced noise with stereo and they said adding a subwoffer will not work right.

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
@maxbottomtime I'm hoping you can answer a few questions as I try to wrap up my install. I'm down to the speaker wire connections.

Which wires specifically (color/stripe) did you tap for the speakers? Was there a diagram that you used? I see the green/brown wire and a gray wire, but there are a lot of gray wires with subtle stripes. Are the wires different colors on each side? Thanks!

OP
OP
maxbottomtime

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
@maxbottomtime I'm hoping you can answer a few questions as I try to wrap up my install. I'm down to the speaker wire connections.

Which wires specifically (color/stripe) did you tap for the speakers? Was there a diagram that you used? I see the green/brown wire and a gray wire, but there are a lot of gray wires with subtle stripes. Are the wires different colors on each side? Thanks!
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/aftermarket-subwoofer.3034/post-103280

See this post - there is a pdf with the wiring guide for each side.

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thank you! I finally have some bass again.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
I've got one of these Kenwood's sitting in my closet might be time to hook it up, If you had to install it again what would you do differently?

OP
OP
maxbottomtime

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
I've got one of these Kenwood's sitting in my closet might be time to hook it up, If you had to install it again what would you do differently?
Only thing i'd do differently is skip the LoC. Otherwise, nothing different. it's working great. turning the remote to "off" while listening to music shows how inadequate the stock system is at producing lower frequencies. It's obviously not a 12" sub, but it's a big upgrade.

Hell, i just picked up a project roadster and this is the sub i'll be shoehorning under the seat i think.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
I had mine in a subaru under the front seat I wrapped the harnesses with tesa tape to make it look factory and keep from cutting any wires off incase I wanted to ever install it in a longer vehicle. I'm guessing on the ranger just use the high level speak input wires located in the pillar?

OP
OP
maxbottomtime

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
I had mine in a subaru under the front seat I wrapped the harnesses with tesa tape to make it look factory and keep from cutting any wires off incase I wanted to ever install it in a longer vehicle. I'm guessing on the ranger just use the high level speak input wires located in the pillar?
That's what I did. Tap high level input. You can still wrap in tape (I did).

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I just bought this sub. Any other opinions on skipping the LOC? I am planning on skipping it from OPs post but I keep reading LOC is needed elsewhere. Don't want to have to wire it twice. Won't the higher frequencies interfere with the output?

OP
OP
maxbottomtime

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
No, the amp has a crossover so that’s not an issue.

If you skip the LoC you’ll need to run a separate remote from a source that is ignition triggered, or tap a fuse for your regular power from a keyed fuse and jump the remote.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
No, the amp has a crossover so that’s not an issue.

If you skip the LoC you’ll need to run a separate remote from a source that is ignition triggered, or tap a fuse for your regular power from a keyed fuse and jump the remote.
So I'd have to tap two fuses in this case, one for battery and one for remote turn on (unless I jump it)? Been awhile since I did any car stereo stuff.