Supercab Rear Seat Headrest

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I just tried this on wifes 20 Lariat crew cab and there is just foam and no hinges or spring , I guess they ran out of the tilt parts.
IMG_0349.JPG
November build.
They had to have saved a least a few bucks per unit on that. Really sucks that they don't think seeing out the back is worth a few bucks.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
They had to have saved a least a few bucks per unit on that. Really sucks that they don't think seeing out the back is worth a few bucks.
Yep it stinks, I had some 1/2 inch dowel in stock ready to do but not dice. Oh well I just removed them for now. Bret

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
Yep it stinks, I had some 1/2 inch dowel in stock ready to do but not dice. Oh well I just removed them for now. Bret
I figured Ford made the change for 2020 and was using up leftover 2019 parts.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just tried this on wifes 20 Lariat crew cab and there is just foam and no hinges or spring , I guess they ran out of the tilt parts.
IMG_0349.JPG
November build.
Hi Bret,

I wondered if this was the case when the change was "Exhaust old stock" before incorporating the change on the line. This is a bugaboo of running changes and one of the reasons that Auto Parts stores are driven nuts with ordering the correct parts. You go in for a Left hand Widget for the suspension and the guy behind the counter asks if your key Fob is black or gray???? Reason, Fob color change occurred about the same time as the LH Widget change.

What a headache!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

danotech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I figured Ford made the change for 2020 and was using up leftover 2019 parts.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.
Interesting as my 2020 was just built in October and they had the mechanism.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
Hi Bret,

I wondered if this was the case when the change was "Exhaust old stock" before incorporating the change on the line. This is a bugaboo of running changes and one of the reasons that Auto Parts stores are driven nuts with ordering the correct parts. You go in for a Left hand Widget for the suspension and the guy behind the counter asks if your key Fob is black or gray???? Reason, Fob color change occurred about the same time as the LH Widget change.

What a headache!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
LOL, its a shame as it would have been an easy mod. Mid year changes on a model always makes it fun getting correct parts . Im sure they are catching hell with this covid 19 trying to keep parts flowing in on time. Maybe a different vendor, or maybe the vendor that made the spring setup is shut down due to covid ? Who knows . Stay safe, Bret

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
Curious what your build date is?
I cant get to the window sticker right now but build date was early November. Ill post it later. Door jam shows 11/20 and window sticker says 10/27/20. Bret

Last edited:

Espo78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the heads up on this! Just got my 2020 Supercab a few days ago. I did the dowel mod to the headrests it was super easy and works perfectly!

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
IMG_0349.JPG
November build.
Just a thought: A couple guys posted that they removed theirs and put them in storage. Maybe they will sell them or trade for yours?
Sponsored