KevKouf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Ranger fx4
Hello all, first time poster...

Currently have an 09 fx4 and as the years go on, she is getting a bit more tired these days haha. Considering an upgrade while also trying to future proof re: children. I have a strong preference to the supercab ranger vs the supercrew, but despite my searching, I have found nothing on whether or not a car seat will fit. I am aware that the supercab does have the LATCH system, but I can't find any examples online of anyone actually putting a car seat in. Local dealership sales staff have been unhelpful.

Anyone have any insight?
Sponsored

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
2019 Supercab will fit a carseat, there are tie down points in the back for them. As for adults...its possible but not super comfortable. I didn't get it to carry extra people though, I enjoy the extra bed room.

OP
OP

KevKouf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Ranger fx4
2019 Supercab will fit a carseat, there are tie down points in the back for them. As for adults...its possible but not super comfortable. I didn't get it to carry extra people though, I enjoy the extra bed room.
I am aware of the tie down points, but I havent managed to find any resources showing it actually working with a real world car seat. Do you factually know a car seat fits? Or inferring it will because of the tie downs?

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Hello all, first time poster...

Currently have an 09 fx4 and as the years go on, she is getting a bit more tired these days haha. Considering an upgrade while also trying to future proof re: children. I have a strong preference to the supercab ranger vs the supercrew, but despite my searching, I have found nothing on whether or not a car seat will fit. I am aware that the supercab does have the LATCH system, but I can't find any examples online of anyone actually putting a car seat in. Local dealership sales staff have been unhelpful.

Anyone have any insight?
Probably going to depend on the carseat, as they vary in size by a considerable amount. Do you currently have a carseat? Or are you simply thinking long-term? If the former, take your carseat in to the dealership and try fitting it in (if the dealership won't allow this, find another dealership). If it's the latter, find a friend with a carseat and ask to borrow it.

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
I am aware of the tie down points, but I havent managed to find any resources showing it actually working with a real world car seat. Do you factually know a car seat fits? Or inferring it will because of the tie downs?
They are designed specifically for a child's carseat, even has a picture on each latch. Why would they not fit?

OP
OP

KevKouf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Ranger fx4
Probably going to depend on the carseat, as they vary in size by a considerable amount. Do you currently have a carseat? Or are you simply thinking long-term? If the former, take your carseat in to the dealership and try fitting it in (if the dealership won't allow this, find another dealership). If it's the latter, find a friend with a carseat and ask to borrow it.
Thinking long term. I think I'll go the route of borrowing a car seat of someone. Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP

KevKouf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Ranger fx4
They are designed specifically for a child's carseat, even has a picture on each latch. Why would they not fit?
Joe kind of touched on this above, but I imagine there is a lot of variety in shapes and sizes of car seats... Not knowing what Ford had in mind when designing it, my concern would be finding one that can fit. Above all else, I really have been able to find zero intel on this topic, and ford reps themselves have not been helpful either.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Joe kind of touched on this above, but I imagine there is a lot of variety in shapes and sizes of car seats... Not knowing what Ford had in mind when designing it, my concern would be finding one that can fit. Above all else, I really have been able to find zero intel on this topic, and ford reps themselves have not been helpful either.
HI Kevin,

Car seat design is a moving target. Seats of 5 years ago are old hat. What Ford designed for in Ranger were ISO standards of the day when I was in charge of Ranger. As the standards change, seat designs changed as did the Auto MFG addressing the changes. The Ford folks you talk to have no clue, as there is no experience with current child seat manufacturers. Read the owner manual with respect to child seats and restraints and see if this guides you on your search for the safest seat for your child.

A back story. GM developed a child seat that was touted as safest available and I bought one for our toddler. Turned out that the seat was awful and I had paid a good amount of money to get the best. So now what...Then it was Cosco....not all that great and did not fit our car well in the back seat at the time. Then I got involved with Ranger and ISO. Self latching seats that did not require vehicle seat belts. We had to totally redesign our seat structures to support this standard. So with a pretty heavy investment we accomplished the task. Then the standards changed as self latching was deemed to be ineffective.

The takeway here is that child safety is forever changing for the better, but it is really on the parents to determine what is best for their child. So asking Ford for a recommendation is not going to give you any help...there is simply no way Ford can keep track of child seat manufacturer designs or changes.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m in car seat land right now, with a SuperCrew. I can offer some thoughts.

ā€œA car seat fits in the backā€ doesnā€™t necessarily also mean a person would fit in the front at the same time. If we had our car seat on a side rather than in the center, the passenger (normally my wife of course) would be quite uncomfortable. I can imagine this is only worse in a SuperCab.

Please donā€™t do this to yourself if you would be hauling your kid on anything that resembles a daily basis. If he normally rides with mama but once a month has to jump in with you, sure I would say thatā€™s fine. Our screw is pretty tight by the time we get the car seat, diaper bag, and all the other accessories in there. Once again...itā€™s only going to be worse in a SuperCab.

OP
OP

KevKouf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Ranger fx4
HI Kevin,

Car seat design is a moving target. Seats of 5 years ago are old hat. What Ford designed for in Ranger were ISO standards of the day when I was in charge of Ranger. As the standards change, seat designs changed as did the Auto MFG addressing the changes. The Ford folks you talk to have no clue, as there is no experience with current child seat manufacturers. Read the owner manual with respect to child seats and restraints and see if this guides you on your search for the safest seat for your child.

A back story. GM developed a child seat that was touted as safest available and I bought one for our toddler. Turned out that the seat was awful and I had paid a good amount of money to get the best. So now what...Then it was Cosco....not all that great and did not fit our car well in the back seat at the time. Then I got involved with Ranger and ISO. Self latching seats that did not require vehicle seat belts. We had to totally redesign our seat structures to support this standard. So with a pretty heavy investment we accomplished the task. Then the standards changed as self latching was deemed to be ineffective.

The takeway here is that child safety is forever changing for the better, but it is really on the parents to determine what is best for their child. So asking Ford for a recommendation is not going to give you any help...there is simply no way Ford can keep track of child seat manufacturer designs or changes.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thank you Phil!

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Iā€™m in car seat land right now, with a SuperCrew. I can offer some thoughts.

ā€œA car seat fits in the backā€ doesnā€™t necessarily also mean a person would fit in the front at the same time. If we had our car seat on a side rather than in the center, the passenger (normally my wife of course) would be quite uncomfortable. I can imagine this is only worse in a SuperCab.

Please donā€™t do this to yourself if you would be hauling your kid on anything that resembles a daily basis. If he normally rides with mama but once a month has to jump in with you, sure I would say thatā€™s fine. Our screw is pretty tight by the time we get the car seat, diaper bag, and all the other accessories in there. Once again...itā€™s only going to be worse in a SuperCab.
I would agree with all of this. With the infant car seat behind my passenger seat, even my wifeā€™s knees are in the dash and I have a screw. Sure, it will fit in the scab, but the front seat will be unusable.

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Doable but it is tight. Had to take a friend and her child home weeks back she's tiny maybe 5'5 and 110lbs and was all the way to the front in the passenger seat with her child in the carseat behind her.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Car seat? When I was a kid my parents threw me in the back of the F-100 an told me not to sit on top of the bed sides.

I have raised 4 kids including twins so I know a thing or two about car seats. The infant rear facing probably fit no problem. Toddler front facing need room for their legs/feet in front of the seat. That might be tight. Finding the most compact one would help an avoid the ones with the large base. If there was a way to place the seat in the middle where there's no seatbacks it would make some extra room but there's no middle belt. The booster style seats look to fit fine but the straight up an down seatback in back doesn't look comfortable for very long.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
We have used car seats and booster seats for our grand kids in our SuperCab Ranger.
Not much different from any other backseat installation.
Certainly no discomfort for front seat occupants.

One good point... with the "suicide" rear doors it is easier to install and use carseats than it is with a conventional four door and at least as easy as with the sliders on a minivan.

Still,the things are a PITA even in a minivan.
I plan a ritual burning of the D@m#$d things when the youngest grows out of them.

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
The other thing to consider is having the passenger ride in back with the child. Having a parent in back, especially during the space-gobbling rear- facing stage might help with comfort for both the passenger and the baby.
Iā€™m surprised so many people are saying that they are having trouble fitting with a car seat considering so many cars have tighter rear seats. My XJ was tight in back but we all fit no problem even when we had two parents and two car seats.
Sponsored