OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Besides cruising Google, I figured you guys have deat with RTT's enough to add any insight you may have.

I am looking for a proven bare bones style model that absolutely must be 52" or less in width and less than 5' when packed. The reason being is I am going to fabricate a custom pull out style system that will sit above my wheel wells, on a heavy duty unistrut trolley system with fold down legs on one end.

Any suggestions you may have are appreciated. Here is a very crude idea of what is going to happen: (green being the RTT)

IMG_20220221_095147.jpg
Sponsored

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
There might be a few that would work. Availability's always an issue these days, though.

A couple of questions before we start throwing out options:
1). How much vertical clearance do you have with the awning and rack, since it looks like they both overhang the rear a bit?
2). Is the 52" measurement clearing the bedside/tailgate jamb?

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
I am looking for a proven bare bones style model that absolutely must be 52" or less in width and less than 5' when packed.
The other thing is that sizing is going to limit you to a 1-2 person tent, and let's be honest, "1-2 person" really means 1-2 Noahs, which translates to 1 real person and a small, yappy dog.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Besides cruising Google, I figured you guys have deat with RTT's enough to add any insight you may have.

I am looking for a proven bare bones style model that absolutely must be 52" or less in width and less than 5' when packed. The reason being is I am going to fabricate a custom pull out style system that will sit above my wheel wells, on a heavy duty unistrut trolley system with fold down legs on one end.

Any suggestions you may have are appreciated. Here is a very crude idea of what is going to happen: (green being the RTT)

IMG_20220221_095147.jpg
Front Runner, Jack...right around $1,000...light weight under 100 lbs...solid...

Last edited:

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The other thing is that sizing is going to limit you to a 1-2 person tent, and let's be honest, "1-2 person" really means 1-2 Noahs, which translates to 1 real person and a small, yappy dog.
I love that Noah just became a unit of measure...

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Perfect, that is what its intended for!

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
There might be a few that would work. Availability's always an issue these days, though.

A couple of questions before we start throwing out options:
1). How much vertical clearance do you have with the awning and rack, since it looks like they both overhang the rear a bit?
2). Is the 52" measurement clearing the bedside/tailgate jamb?

I will make sure the pull out system gives it enough clearance. (If that requires a double/layered slide out on each side then that is what will happen)

Yes, the width between the tail gate edges is 54" if I recalled last I measured it.

Last edited:

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Agree, LMFAO.

Regarding the RTT ..
I have a Yakima Skyrise medium. It is too big. However, the small size could work. 42" x 48" when packed. 48" x 84" when open (48" wide). Quality and durable on mine have been good but not perfect. I do like that these model have a full rainfly.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I love that I have no clue about the Noah reference but I totally understand what Frank is getting at. Too funny.

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Front Runner, Jack...under right around $1,000...light weight under 100 lbs...solid...
Perfect, that is what its intended for!
I will make sure the pull out system gives it enough clearance. (If that requires a double/layed slide out on each side then that is what will happen)

Yes, the width between the tail gate edges is 54" if I recalled last I measured it.
Front Runner's Low Profile Tent MIGHT work. It's technically 52.4" wide by 49". Those 4 tenths could be a deal-breaker, though. You also may run into an issue with the rain fly tension rods coming out so far.

The Yakima Skyrise HD Small Tent looks like a good bet (though we don't have it on the site at the moment). That guy measures 48" x 42" closed. You may still have some clearance issues with the rainfly tension rods, but probably nothing major. The only real issue is that Yakima's availability has been nonexistent for the last two years, so it's hard to say when you get it if ordered.

Thule Explorer Ayer and Thule Low-Pro may also work. Not sure if we can get them (we might be able to, I'll have to look into it), but they look available and meet your dimensions. Their side tension rods also only do the windows, so you could just leave one side closed.

Noah's been a tent measurement unit since we started to sell the things.

There's a sizable fitment gulf between our favorite A-List YouTube celeb and a 200lb gorilla such as myself.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Front Runner's Low Profile Tent MIGHT work. It's technically 52.4" wide by 49". Those 4 tenths could be a deal-breaker, though. You also may run into an issue with the rain fly tension rods coming out so far.

The Yakima Skyrise HD Small Tent looks like a good bet (though we don't have it on the site at the moment). That guy measures 48" x 42" closed. You may still have some clearance issues with the rainfly tension rods, but probably nothing major. The only real issue is that Yakima's availability has been nonexistent for the last two years, so it's hard to say when you get it if ordered.

Thule Explorer Ayer and Thule Low-Pro may also work. Not sure if we can get them (we might be able to, I'll have to look into it), but they look available and meet your dimensions. Their side tension rods also only do the windows, so you could just leave one side closed.

Noah's been a tent measurement unit since we started to sell the things.

There's a sizable fitment gulf between our favorite A-List YouTube celeb and a 200lb gorilla such as myself.

Not to worried about the rain fly because that can be handled by any number of means of my rack and some ground stakes. Awning, tarp, etc etc

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Have you looked into wedge campers? I can't recommend GFC but there are others and they give you many places to mount lights

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
One of the Free Spirit type tents may work for you since they only open to one side.

kground_image_3b51f45d-0337-4767-a765-475dc181f253.png

The Free Spirit model is $2k and you can get a Raptor Off Grid Voyager copy of it for around $1200.

71qAfpeGvgL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

I'm planning on eventually selling my regular RTT and getting the Off Grid Voyage

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
i have a 1-2 man rtt and it fits me and a blue heeler and still have more room...
Sponsored