Stuck in Repair Hell, is my frustration justified?

Is four months to get parts on a 2019 Ford Ranger an acceptable time frame?

• Total voters

John-Everett Doling

First Name
John-Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Let me start by saying Ford made an awesome truck with the 2019 Ranger and that my Lariat 4WD is without a doubt the best truck I have ever drove both on and off road. I purchased the vehicle outright at 44.5K in total after waiting 5 months for the truck to be delivered. After only 50 days with my new truck a deer jumped out in front of the truck and damaged the bumper, radar sensor, and intercooler. I took the truck to a bodyshop that is in my insurance companies repair network on December 2nd and was given an estimation of 17 days for repair by my insurance company. The guy who owns the bodyshop warned me the the repair would take closer to 30 days because it would take longer than average to get the parts. After repeated delays and 55 days passed I eventually called the dealership they ordered parts from directly which told me the ETA given by Ford for the final parts is April 4th. The parts they are waiting on now are not even complex components like the radar sensor or the intercooler, they are brackets which hold the bumper in place. He was careful to mention that Ford has a habit of overrunning their ETAs on a regular basis and that Ford prioritizes putting new production components towards new production vehicles because they don’t make as much selling the parts to dealerships. I'm writing this as a warning to everybody considering purchasing a 2019 or 2020 Ford Ranger to be wary and consider your purchase carefully, minor repairs may leave you with a truck for many months. I’m having to come out of pocket for a rental car to be able to make it to work after giving Ford 44.5k for what was marketed as a reliable vehicle with an adequate supply chain to support it. Ford Motor Company themselves have not been very helpful and act as if once a vehicle leaves the lot they have no responsibility to continue to support it. Any input from someone who has been in this situation before would be appreciated. Everybody from Ford acts like this is a normal occurrence, am I justified in being incredibly frustrated with them?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, justified. I would be pissed. The last car I nailed a deer with (5k damages) only took a week to fix. Are they giving you a loaner at least?

If not it makes me wonder if its worthwhile to get car rental insurance.

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
That sucks, and doesn't surprise me one bit. We are seeing new trucks without parts (tie down hooks) and parts that should be there (ignition ring)... So its no surprise that Ford is hoarding parts for new production only and with any new model vehicle, parts take a few years to become readily available for retail sales and the aftermarket producers have to catch-up to the demand. Im sure you already know this but your timing couldn't of been worse, Id be livid also, new truck, accident that wasn't your fault and no new truck to drive.... :thumbsdown:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Let me start by saying Ford made an awesome truck with the 2019 Ranger and that my Lariat 4WD is without a doubt the best truck I have ever drove both on and off road. I purchased the vehicle outright at 44.5K in total after waiting 5 months for the truck to be delivered. After only 50 days with my new truck a deer jumped out in front of the truck and damaged the bumper, radar sensor, and intercooler. I took the truck to a bodyshop that is in my insurance companies repair network on December 2nd and was given an estimation of 17 days for repair by my insurance company. The guy who owns the bodyshop warned me the the repair would take closer to 30 days because it would take longer than average to get the parts. After repeated delays and 55 days passed I eventually called the dealership they ordered parts from directly which told me the ETA given by Ford for the final parts is April 4th. The parts they are waiting on now are not even complex components like the radar sensor or the intercooler, they are brackets which hold the bumper in place. He was careful to mention that Ford has a habit of overrunning their ETAs on a regular basis and that Ford prioritizes putting new production components towards new production vehicles because they don’t make as much selling the parts to dealerships. I writing this as a warning to everybody considering purchasing a 2019 or 2020 Ford Ranger to be wary and consider your purchase carefully, minor repairs may leave you with a truck for many months. I’m having to come out of pocket for a rental car to be able to make it to work after giving Ford 44.5k for what was marketed as a reliable vehicle with an adequate supply chain to support it. Ford Motor Company themselves have not been very helpful and act as if once a vehicle leaves the lot they have no responsibility to continue to support it. Any input from someone who has been in this situation before would be appreciated. Everybody from Ford acts like this is a normal occurrence, am I justified in being incredibly frustrated with them?
Hi John,

Sad to hear of your situation. I have to say I have never seen a Ford program with such slow parts fill as the Ranger since the Pantera fiasco where I needed rear U joints for the halfshafts as they wore out regularly...Hung up for months... I just wonder if this is because the Australia actually did the program. Ford Purchasing usually contracts with suppliers for volumes that also support Ford Parts and Service...Something is really wrong but I have no FPSD contacts to understand why... My thought is that Rangers are selling at volumes above production estimates, but usually suppliers are then put on overtime and and weekends. Something is woefully wrong here. Really unacceptable and certainly frustrating. Good luck, hope you get back on the road soon...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
This truly sucks, big time. I hope you get it repaired sooner.

Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Peace Officer
Let me start by saying Ford made an awesome truck with the 2019 Ranger and that my Lariat 4WD is without a doubt the best truck I have ever drove both on and off road. I purchased the vehicle outright at 44.5K in total after waiting 5 months for the truck to be delivered. After only 50 days with my new truck a deer jumped out in front of the truck and damaged the bumper, radar sensor, and intercooler. I took the truck to a bodyshop that is in my insurance companies repair network on December 2nd and was given an estimation of 17 days for repair by my insurance company. The guy who owns the bodyshop warned me the the repair would take closer to 30 days because it would take longer than average to get the parts. After repeated delays and 55 days passed I eventually called the dealership they ordered parts from directly which told me the ETA given by Ford for the final parts is April 4th. The parts they are waiting on now are not even complex components like the radar sensor or the intercooler, they are brackets which hold the bumper in place. He was careful to mention that Ford has a habit of overrunning their ETAs on a regular basis and that Ford prioritizes putting new production components towards new production vehicles because they don’t make as much selling the parts to dealerships. I writing this as a warning to everybody considering purchasing a 2019 or 2020 Ford Ranger to be wary and consider your purchase carefully, minor repairs may leave you with a truck for many months. I’m having to come out of pocket for a rental car to be able to make it to work after giving Ford 44.5k for what was marketed as a reliable vehicle with an adequate supply chain to support it. Ford Motor Company themselves have not been very helpful and act as if once a vehicle leaves the lot they have no responsibility to continue to support it. Any input from someone who has been in this situation before would be appreciated. Everybody from Ford acts like this is a normal occurrence, am I justified in being incredibly frustrated with them?
John
You have reason to be frustrated. Up here in Canada I just got my 19 Lariat back after 2 weeks in the shop. To repair an inoperable forward collision and adaptive cruise issues, a sensor was ordered, in addition to reprogrammed PCM regarding a transmission concern via TSB 19 2052. And my e-brake boot was damaged I figure through usage in -25 degree C weather, then following a brake issue/recall it was left uninstalled and dangling for several months before getting it in for a replacement. The leatherette was like cardboard!!!

Maybe the Ranger wasn’t ready for prime time in Canada!? I dunno.... Nonetheless the boot is in, the sensor hasn’t caused me any grief through a few miles and the driveline is finally reacting as many of you have stated it does. Much smoother, much nicer toe in on acceleration, responds smoother on acceleration and coasts on deceleration. No more clunking shifts through the lower gears, better quality… It now runs like the escape I drive at work ha!!! but with a lot more power.! I really do love my ranger more now.

A word to all of you - pay attention to the bulletins that pertain to your VIN (build date). Ford is not obligated to state what concerns had arisen prior to you becoming owner with these TSB’s. please check the listing on this Forum! Helped me.

So not meaning to hijack a good reply to you but feel your pain and frustration...

My next topic of contention with the dealerships advisers is that because I take care of my $50,000 vehicle and take it for a proper wash as one proud Ford owner should during winter- it’s only reasonable my proximity sensors should be frozen in time and going off left and right every time I put my foot on the brake and take it off. Had I known that the extra $3000 B&O sound system would be preempted at every yield or stop I would have thought twice. The visual alert on the screen goes off and so does the audible warning, simultaneously cutting out the music! Very frustrating. Their reply... do you have a heated garage. Reply yes I do, however; that’s besides the point, I’m not picking up the tab on a new vehicle I paid dearly for with equipment like this; basically standard throughout much of any maker lineup these days. And I have a heated garage that fits my wife’s SUV! So I brought it up once twice three times now and I think I need to get more done from them any suggestions would help. Will have to talk to the manager at some point if I’m not able to communicate what they need to hear to act on it…
Regards Charlie

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
You have every right to be pissed, to wait 5 months for something as mundane as a bracket is beyond ridiculous.
Thanks for the heads-up on the parts situation anyway, hope your problem gets resolved real soon...

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
John
You have reason to be frustrated. Up here in Canada I just got my 19 Lariat back after 2 weeks in the shop. To repair an inoperable forward collision and adaptive cruise issues, a sensor was ordered, in addition to reprogrammed PCM regarding a transmission concern via TSB 19 2052. And my e-brake boot was damaged I figure through usage in -25 degree C weather, then following a brake issue/recall it was left uninstalled and dangling for several months before getting it in for a replacement. The leatherette was like cardboard!!!

Maybe the Ranger wasn’t ready for prime time in Canada!? I dunno.... Nonetheless the boot is in, the sensor hasn’t caused me any grief through a few miles and the driveline is finally reacting as many of you have stated it does. Much smoother, much nicer toe in on acceleration, responds smoother on acceleration and coasts on deceleration. No more clunking shifts through the lower gears, better quality… It now runs like the escape I drive at work ha!!! but with a lot more power.! I really do love my ranger more now.

A word to all of you - pay attention to the bulletins that pertain to your VIN (build date). Ford is not obligated to state what concerns had arisen prior to you becoming owner with these TSB’s. please check the listing on this Forum! Helped me.

So not meaning to hijack a good reply to you but feel your pain and frustration...

My next topic of contention with the dealerships advisers is that because I take care of my $50,000 vehicle and take it for a proper wash as one proud Ford owner should during winter- it’s only reasonable my proximity sensors should be frozen in time and going off left and right every time I put my foot on the brake and take it off. Had I known that the extra $3000 B&O sound system would be preempted at every yield or stop I would have thought twice. The visual alert on the screen goes off and so does the audible warning, simultaneously cutting out the music! Very frustrating. Their reply... do you have a heated garage. Reply yes I do, however; that’s besides the point, I’m not picking up the tab on a new vehicle I paid dearly for with equipment like this; basically standard throughout much of any maker lineup these days. And I have a heated garage that fits my wife’s SUV! So I brought it up once twice three times now and I think I need to get more done from them any suggestions would help. Will have to talk to the manager at some point if I’m not able to communicate what they need to hear to act on it…
Regards Charlie

*Emphisis mine*

This is the only trigger I have with my own Ranger. Fortunately my own repair issues have never gone over two months but unfortunately being new to North America I figure the retooling will take a bit to catch up. It still boggles my mind that as an aftermarket parts provider I cannot source certain parts for Fords built in the 90's much less newer models. Something as simple as a coolant return bottle can drive me bonkers as I spend half an hour trying to source it to find it is Ford only...lol!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi John,

Sad to hear of your situation. I have to say I have never seen a Ford program with such slow parts fill as the Ranger since the Pantera fiasco where I needed rear U joints for the halfshafts as they wore out regularly...Hung up for months... I just wonder if this is because the Australia actually did the program. Ford Purchasing usually contracts with suppliers for volumes that also support Ford Parts and Service...Something is really wrong but I have no FPSD contacts to understand why... My thought is that Rangers are selling at volumes above production estimates, but usually suppliers are then put on overtime and and weekends. Something is woefully wrong here. Really unacceptable and certainly frustrating. Good luck, hope you get back on the road soon...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, my guess (and it is ONLY a guess), is that much of it is due to just in time inventory management. It saves the company money by not having too many parts in a warehouse somewhere. It does seem like some parts on the Ranger have been particularly bad. I hope the situation improves.

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I vote ridiculous....and sad and insane. I've been waiting more than 3 weeks for the sun glass holder over head console thingy that has a broken or missing clock spring... They have to order the assembly and he said no telling how long it will take to get it...(I am driving mine and this is a small issue but a shining example of poor management at frod)

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Hi John,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Pantera fiasco
OMG, why would you need to refer to the "Pantera" fiasco here Phil? I once had parts dept. backorder a right door trim panel for a customer for his '73 Pantera, they sent a windshield instead, complete with the "fragile" markings ala "A Christmas Story" ...lol

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
My dealer actually yanked a vacuum assembly off an in-stock Ranger to fix my Brake warning issue. I wonder how long they'll be sitting on a new truck until they get the part based on these posts. I also had a parking sensor go bad but they were able to get that part overnight. I guess I just got a good dealer. They should be giving you a loaner

Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Peace Officer
I vote ridiculous....and sad and insane. I've been waiting more than 3 weeks for the sun glass holder over head console thingy that has a broken or missing clock spring... They have to order the assembly and he said no telling how long it will take to get it...(I am driving mine and this is a small issue but a shining example of poor management at frod)
Ya my light switch on the overhead console was stuck the first time I used in the winter. About as unrefined a rocker switch as possible!

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Hi John,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I'd agree and have to believe FoMoCo has a regional CS manager who can make you feel better about your purchase and off-set some of your out of pocket loss ???

OP
OP

John-Everett Doling

First Name
John-Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I'd agree and have to believe FoMoCo has a regional CS manager who can make you feel better about your purchase and off-set some of your out of pocket loss ???
I have found the worst customer service experience ever through Ford Motor Company. Their CS said that its not their problem the parts come when the parts come and they have no responsibility to provide them within any sort of timeframe.
Sponsored