Stripped Thread in Tie Down Bolt Hole

Markbe35

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Super Crew
One of the bolt holes for a tie down is stripped (damaged). I read that I can use a tapered tap 8x1.25 to fix the threads.

Is it that easy? Is there something I should know before doing this?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
One of the bolt holes for a tie down is stripped (damaged). I read that I can use a tapered tap 8x1.25 to fix the threads.

Just take it slow and you will be good. I had to do this on a truck with the spray in bed liner and it was ok afterwards.

OP
OP

Markbe35

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just take it slow and you will be good. I had to do this on a truck with the spray in bed liner and it was ok afterwards.
I have a spray in bed liner which is what may have caused the problem. Will give it a try.

Thanks.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I have a spray in bed liner which is what may have caused the problem. Will give it a try.

Thanks.
Yeah, just chase the threads out. Use some cutting oil to make sure everything goes in smoothly.

I did this on the middle tie down spot when I added the tie down loops, and I'll have to do it again for the threaded holes near the tailgate soon. Those are completely covered by the spray in liner, so I have to actually FIND them first. That'll be fun. Ugh.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

The bolt itself is a 8mm 1.25. If the tapped hole in the bed is indeed "stripped", running a 8mm 1.25 tap won't fix the issue.

If the problem is just that the tapped hole has bedliner material in it, then the tap will fix the issue.

More here: Installed Bed Tie Down Brackets

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired

Use some light oil and be sure to start the tap straight. Once the tap starts cutting go a turn or so and back it out. Then go a little deeper and back it out a little . Do this until it breaks trhough. You'll be ok.

OP
OP

Markbe35

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The bolt itself is a 8mm 1.25. If the tapped hole in the bed is indeed "stripped", running a 8mm 1.25 tap won't fix the issue.

If the problem is just that the tapped hole has bedliner material in it, then the tap will fix the issue.

More here: Installed Bed Tie Down Brackets

I can't really tell if the bolt hole is stripped but the bolt is now stripped. May be due to trying to install it with bits of the spray in liner clogging the hole. I tried a new bolt and it doesn't want to go in easily so I stopped. Now I plan on trying the tap to clear out what might be in there, hoping its not worse.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I can't really tell if the bolt hole is stripped but the bolt is now stripped. May be due to trying to install it with bits of the spray in liner clogging the hole. I tried a new bolt and it doesn't want to go in easily so I stopped. Now I plan on trying the tap to clear out what might be in there, hoping its not worse.
Hi Mark,

I think you learned something today. Threaded holes work best when clean..Chase with a tap first. You can likely use a die on the bolt and straighten it out too.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Take your time and don't be in a hurry when using the tap. Don't use power tools.

The key to using the tap is to get it started, then back it out a little, then forward, then back and repeat that process.

Force it and you'll break the tap off in the hole.

And be sure to use a tap handle and not an adjustable wrench. The tap handle helps to minimize side loading and keeps the tap straight.

TexasTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CC
Vehicle Showcase
I feel your pain... I added a set of tie downs to the bed as well, after the LineX of course. The set arrived and like a kid in a candy store, "great, I get to use tools!", I went at it. Instead of chasing the holes clean with a 8x1.25 tapered tap, I managed to cross thread the first bolt, stripped the head and ruined the hole. Tasca sent a new bolt and I chased the holes first. Lesson: let the upgrade sit a day to think about the process of making the modification :blush:

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
The reason to back the tap up a 1/4 to a 1/2 turn is to break the chip that the tap is creating.

Irwin does make self aligning taps for the timid people.

OP
OP

Markbe35

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Success!!

I used the tap as many of you suggested and it worked. A small amount of metal fragments came out so I suspect the bolt started to cross thread at some point. All is good.

Thanks for all of the advice.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Success!!

I used the tap as many of you suggested and it worked. A small amount of metal fragments came out so I suspect the bolt started to cross thread at some point. All is good.

Thanks for all of the advice.
I had the same problem when I tried to install the 2 missing tie downs. I removed the bolt, saw they were clean and no damage to the threads, check the bolt hole in the frame...it also was clean. Tried a little lubricant to no avail...the bolt seems to dead lock about half way in. I have a power drill...do you think I'm just lacking torque to seat the bolt? I'm going really slow to install these things. Things seem really clean and like I should just be able to tighten it up...the bolt moves easily till about half way. I haven't tried the tap yet.

I also stuck a small screwdriver in the bolt hole to see if it was blocked...no problem.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
i'd get a tap and clean out your threads. it doesnt take much in there to cause problems

Never looked in mine but do the threaded anchors go all the way through or are they a set depth? if they are, then is the bolt too long?
I wondered about the wrong size bolt. Ford gave me 4 with the 2 tie downs. Of course, I threw away the package. But I do have the paperwork. I'll check.

The paperwork said S450B bolt. Whatever that means. I guess I'll have to talk to the Ford guys. I got a bug shield at the same time...that was destroyed in the box. That was returned...I guess I'll be busy doing simple things a couple of times...sigh.

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond