Stiff steering

Robert Richardson

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
It is virtually impossible to drive straight down the road. When I need to make a slight steering correction at times the steering stiffens up and the wheel is very hard to turn. It is pushing back against the direction I need to turn it. ‘At low speeds this is not a problem. It kicks in above 65 or 70 mph.
The only relief I can get from fighting the wheel is to put it in lane keeping mode and let it wander back and forth between the lines. When it gets close to a line it will become easier to steer. This is normally what I do. Just let it wander back and forth but then the take a break warning light comes on. ‘This is a very unsafe condition. It is as if the truck is trying to drive itself and I have to over power it.
I have told the local dealer about this several times and they have no idea but it seems to me that it has to be a computer problem. I am not a small man but it wears my arms out trying to hold this truck straight.

Anyone else have this problem?
Sponsored

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I have told the local dealer about this several times and they have no idea
So the dealer acknowledges the problem exists, but is doing nothing about it because they don't know what is causing it? That is absurd. Time to call Ford. Can you take it to another dealer?

Also curious, when did this problem pop up for the first time?

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
It is virtually impossible to drive straight down the road. When I need to make a slight steering correction at times the steering stiffens up and the wheel is very hard to turn. It is pushing back against the direction I need to turn it. ‘At low speeds this is not a problem. It kicks in above 65 or 70 mph.
The only relief I can get from fighting the wheel is to put it in lane keeping mode and let it wander back and forth between the lines. When it gets close to a line it will become easier to steer. This is normally what I do. Just let it wander back and forth but then the take a break warning light comes on. ‘This is a very unsafe condition. It is as if the truck is trying to drive itself and I have to over power it.
I have told the local dealer about this several times and they have no idea but it seems to me that it has to be a computer problem. I am not a small man but it wears my arms out trying to hold this truck straight.

No, I have not and the lane keeping system on my 2020 is disabled.
Very disturbing trait you're experiencing and most definitely safety related, as jsphlynch suggested it's time to call Ford Customer Care, pronto.
I am also flabbergasted that your dealer knows there is a problem, yet releases the vehicle back to you to drive after their futile attempts to at least locate and repair the issue.
Spooky bro...

Last edited:

Mdmcom

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Wildtrack 2019

This is the exact same issue that I am experiencing and feel like I am going mad. This is what I posted on another thread.

I have a late 2019 build Wildtrack in Australia and have already had the steering rack replaced twice. The first time because of a faulty steering sensor that would stop the steering returning to centre after a turn and the steering would always be slightly angled to the right whilst going straight, not dissimilar to a slightly off wheel alignment. The second replacement admittedly was because they installed the same part number rack (known fault) when they first replaced it, not including 3 wheel alignments. This was all carried out over about a 6 week period. However, in that time I have driven 8 loan rangers and 2 of my brother in laws have rangers also! In total about 10 different Rangers. All drove beautifully and effortlessly over about 4000km that I had them for! Held their line beautifully also.

Mine is exactly like yours and I will also say heavier in the steering than all the ones I drove particularly around dead centre when you have to make those minor corrections. It is so annoying. On dirt roads or in the at it has a tendency to be nervous or unstable. Especially when driving on roads with camber and some undulations. Negative cambers are especially concerning causing the vehicle to twitch at random time towards the centre of the road.

I have escalated the matter with Ford Australia who are not denying there may be an issue but are stating that the dealer cannot fault and find issue with the car. Under Australian Consumer Law this is considered a major fault however, Ford has responded that in fact it is not a major fault and was rectified in a reasonable time. I just want to know is there anyone else out there? and what has since happened with your Ranger? Have you had a resolve? Would love to hear any responses.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Follow the suggestions above and take it to a different dealer. This does not sound right.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is the exact same issue that I am experiencing and feel like I am going mad. This is what I posted on another thread.

I have a late 2019 build Wildtrack in Australia and have already had the steering rack replaced twice. The first time because of a faulty steering sensor that would stop the steering returning to centre after a turn and the steering would always be slightly angled to the right whilst going straight, not dissimilar to a slightly off wheel alignment. The second replacement admittedly was because they installed the same part number rack (known fault) when they first replaced it, not including 3 wheel alignments. This was all carried out over about a 6 week period. However, in that time I have driven 8 loan rangers and 2 of my brother in laws have rangers also! In total about 10 different Rangers. All drove beautifully and effortlessly over about 4000km that I had them for! Held their line beautifully also.

Mine is exactly like yours and I will also say heavier in the steering than all the ones I drove particularly around dead centre when you have to make those minor corrections. It is so annoying. On dirt roads or in the at it has a tendency to be nervous or unstable. Especially when driving on roads with camber and some undulations. Negative cambers are especially concerning causing the vehicle to twitch at random time towards the centre of the road.

I have escalated the matter with Ford Australia who are not denying there may be an issue but are stating that the dealer cannot fault and find issue with the car. Under Australian Consumer Law this is considered a major fault however, Ford has responded that in fact it is not a major fault and was rectified in a reasonable time. I just want to know is there anyone else out there? and what has since happened with your Ranger? Have you had a resolve? Would love to hear any responses.
Hi Martin,

I cannot say first hand what the problem is, but it is not the steering rack. Maybe the first one and the replacement was the problem, but since the third rack did not fix the problem, it is clearly not the rack nor the alignment. Something is wrong here and needs better diagnostic than just replacing parts in hopes you go away. As suggested....another dealer is needed in your case or to get a buy back under the lemon laws of your country. Sad you are having these problems. Ford Australian Engineering need to get involved in solving your problem.... Sad, Sad, Sad!

Good Luck!
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Mdmcom

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Wildtrack 2019
Hi Martin,

I cannot say first hand what the problem is, but it is not the steering rack. Maybe the first one and the replacement was the problem, but since the third rack did not fix the problem, it is clearly not the rack nor the alignment. Something is wrong here and needs better diagnostic than just replacing parts in hopes you go away. As suggested....another dealer is needed in your case or to get a buy back under the lemon laws of your country. Sad you are having these problems. Ford Australian Engineering need to get involved in solving your problem.... Sad, Sad, Sad!

Good Luck!
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil for your response. Guess what? You are actually right. I didn't articulate this well enough prior. The issue so far has been an actual sensor in the rack that detects steering input. They replaced the rack because it is too hard to replace the sensor in the rack. Anyway, the problem is that the Ford dealership service technician cant definitely say that it feels any different to him compared to others. This is where the problem lies. I just notice wonder particularly when encountering camber, positive or negative. Ironically this is what EPAS is meant to overcome. I have even recorded footage of my car veering to the right or left. Alas I drove my brother in laws car again today and I am rest assured that I am not going mad. He drove mine, and said that it almost like lane assist did not work compared to his. This will form the basis of my next visit to the dealership.

Again thank you for you input, it's been a vote of moral confidence.

OP
OP

Robert Richardson

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
The dealer finally admitted what the problem is. If I remember the name right it is called Positice Vehicle Control It is the computer trying to help you drive the truck.
For example if the computer detects that the road is slanted to the right it will put pressure on the wheel to torn left. If it detects that you are passing a big truck, it will turn you into the truck to compensate for the wind blowing you the other way.
All this means that you are competing with the computer for control of the vehicle. which would be fine if the computer was actually smart enough to be helpful, but instead it mightas well of drunk a 5th of whisky.

The solution is to return control of the vehicle to the driver. There is no way to shut this off.

I haveturned the problem into Ford, who tells me I have to work through a dealer, who then says there is nothing they can do.

It would be very simple to allow the driver to turn this crap off and on, and the problem is solved, but there is no way. Not even the dealer can turn it off.

I wrote a letter after finding out what is causing the problem to Ford main office, but never got a response. In my opinion it is unsafe, as you never get to relax while driving this vehicle, because you never know when the computer is going to decide that running off into the ditch is the thing to do.

If your truck does not have all the bells and whistles, you probably don't have this feature. Lucky You. It was never mentioned in the literature or by the dealer and took some doing to get the dealer to show me what was going on .

Last edited:

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
The dealer finally admitted what the problem is. If I remember the name right it is called Positice Vehicle Control It is the computer trying to help you drive the truck.
For example if the computer detects that the road is slanted to the right it will put pressure on the wheel to torn left. If it detects that you are passing a big truck, it will turn you into the truck to compensate for the wind blowing you the other way.
All this means that you are competing with the computer for control of the vehicle. which would be fine if the computer was actually smart enough to be helpful, but instead it mightas well of drunk a 5th of whisky.

The solution is to return control of the vehicle to the driver. There is no way to shut this off.

I haveturned the problem into Ford, who tells me I have to work through a dealer, who then says there is nothing they can do.

It would be very simple to allow the driver to turn this crap off and on, and the problem is solved, but there is no way. Not even the dealer can turn it off.

I wrote a letter after finding out what is causing the problem to Ford main office, but never got a response. In my opinion it is unsafe, as you never get to relax while driving this vehicle, because you never know when the computer is going to decide that running off into the ditch is the thing to do.

If your truck does not have all the bells and whistles, you probably don't have this feature. Lucky You. It was never mentioned in the literature or by the dealer and took some doing to get the dealer to show me what was going on .
Sounds like it's time to get Australia's version of the NHSTA involved in your problem.
I cannot believe Ford's stance on handing this issue off to the dealer, the dealer did not design, engineer and manufacture the truck, they are merely acting as a sales and service agent for Ford.
Do keep us posted.

Jdss

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
Hi all

We have a late 2019 wildtrak 3500miles with a similar problem and similar response from Ford Customer support. Insist local dealership has to diagnose and sort. However did confirm Ford uk do not have concerns regarding Ranger steering which is a good thing.

Our vehicle on a particular right hand corner near us, with lane assist off, will repeatedly resist self centring and will actively encourage turn into oncoming traffic. Driver if aware can pull it back but was a surprise when I first experienced it. With Covid rules a Ford technician is not allowed to see it first hand. In the mean time I have to live wi this problem. Have warned the wife if she needs to drive it.

Could it be a certain camber and tightness of corner combined with double white no overtaking lines the system is confused? I know when overtaking the crash mitigation system threatens to slam the brakes on. Based on the current technology they have a way to go to perfect it.

Andytr7rv

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Wildtrak
Occupation
Groundsman
Hi all

We have a late 2019 wildtrak 3500miles with a similar problem and similar response from Ford Customer support. Insist local dealership has to diagnose and sort. However did confirm Ford uk do not have concerns regarding Ranger steering which is a good thing.

Our vehicle on a particular right hand corner near us, with lane assist off, will repeatedly resist self centring and will actively encourage turn into oncoming traffic. Driver if aware can pull it back but was a surprise when I first experienced it. With Covid rules a Ford technician is not allowed to see it first hand. In the mean time I have to live wi this problem. Have warned the wife if she needs to drive it.

Could it be a certain camber and tightness of corner combined with double white no overtaking lines the system is confused? I know when overtaking the crash mitigation system threatens to slam the brakes on. Based on the current technology they have a way to go to perfect it.
Hi Jdss,
Did you get this sorted? I have the exact same issue with a 2020 wildtrak. Seems to only happen when turning the wheel a few degrees to the right and is more noticeable when over 50ish mph.
Cheers,
Andy

Stevie_b

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Wildtrack
Evening all. I know this is an older thread but I've just acquired a late 2019 ranger Wildtrack and I've got the exact same issues and I can't find any other information on the web apart from this one thread. Traveling about 50 mph and slight turning right the steering wheel locks up and seems to push me over to the right In to oncoming traffic which I have to jerk back to the left. It's quite alarming especially when I have my kids in the car so just wondered if you guys managed to get it sorted or can give me any update or info please.

Much appreciated

Steve
Sponsored