First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
I just saw this product on the Motor Trend channel. Curious if anyone has experience with this or and any other similar products. Since our 2.3Ls are direct injected, could the Stiction eliminator help ward off carbon build up? ??‍♂

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/stiction-eliminator/
Sponsored

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Looks like snake oil to me.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Yea, I remember Slick 50. Worthless snake oil.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I just saw this product on the Motor Trend channel. Curious if anyone has experience with this or and any other similar products. Since our 2.3Ls are direct injected, could the Stiction eliminator help ward off carbon build up? ??‍♂

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/stiction-eliminator/
I had a 2007 F-250 with the 6.0 and when it was cold out, it would have the stiction problem exactly as described by the manufacturer. I drained a qt of oil and added the Hotshot Stiction Eliminator....it was like night and day--worked exactly as advertised. Smooth start-ups on cold days and it ran so much smoother. FYI---it was made for diesels, but I'm sure y'all know that.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Agree with snake oil, how does it help the injectors if you put in the oil?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, I remember Slick 50. Worthless snake oil.
Hi Chuck,

Slick 50 brings back memories of my county fair tractor pulls as part of the county fair. On our way to the grandstands there was a guy with a running six cylinder motor hanging above us on a crane with no oil pan running at idle. He was selling Slick 50. Folks were standing in line to buy. He told the folks he "slicked it" once a day and it did not need any oil. Never figured out how he did this, but not interested enough to find out how he did this....More fun to watch the tractor pull, including the steam traction tractor that could pull the ground off the earth around the world. Fun times sitting in the stands, cheering the stock tractors...Big Deer fan! Not a Massey Furgenson fan. My maternal grandfather and families were wheat farmers in Kansas and Deer was the tractor of choise. I learned to drive at about 7 years old on a Deer tractor following a Combine during harvest time. Dinner in the field with my grandmother and her daughters bring huge dinners to the field. Hard work, but honest work!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Hi Chuck,

Slick 50 brings back memories of my county fair tractor pulls as part of the county fair. On our way to the grandstands there was a guy with a running six cylinder motor hanging above us on a crane with no oil pan running at idle. He was selling Slick 50. Folks were standing in line to buy. He told the folks he "slicked it" once a day and it did not need any oil. Never figured out how he did this, but not interested enough to find out how he did this....More fun to watch the tractor pull, including the steam traction tractor that could pull the ground off the earth around the world. Fun times sitting in the stands, cheering the stock tractors...Big Deer fan! Not a Massey Furgenson fan. My maternal grandfather and families were wheat farmers in Kansas and Deer was the tractor of choise. I learned to drive at about 7 years old on a Deer tractor following a Combine during harvest time. Dinner in the field with my grandmother and her daughters bring huge dinners to the field. Hard work, but honest work!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, I also spent much time on my maternal grandfather’s farm in Kansas (corn, hay, and beef cattle). I got to drive his small Allis Chalmers tractor. Time on the farm with my grandpa are my best childhood memories.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with snake oil, how does it help the injectors if you put in the oil?
I don't think this will make a difference with our trucks, but the injectors on a diesel with HEUI (hydraulically activated, electronically controlled, unit injector) injector system utilizes the oil pressure to run the injectors. You'd have to read the literature from Hotshots to find out how it does what it does.....but it does work.
Here is a link to how these high pressure diesel injectors work: http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/ex...-how-high-pressure-oil-injection-systems-work

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I don't think this will make a difference with our trucks, but the injectors on a diesel with HEUI (hydraulically activated, electronically controlled, unit injector) injector system utilizes the oil pressure to run the injectors. You'd have to read the literature from Hotshots to find out how it does what it does.....but it does work.
Here is a link to how these high pressure diesel injectors work: http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/ex...-how-high-pressure-oil-injection-systems-work
This. Rinn69 beat me to it.

Wont make an ounce of difference in our trucks. The GDI injector never sees oil.
Archoil is another brand that helps with stiction. 100% works though, in the right application. A lot of those "stiction" eliminator additives were designed specifically for the 03-07 f250/f350 6.0 powerstroke, as they had the most troubles. The 6.0 I had ran rough cold but didn't bother me enough to add the magic juice.

Little tid bit of info for some curious, the 6.0 powerstroke pumps the engine oil up to about 3,000 psi to power the heui injectors. So those worried about the quality of your oil, you ain't seen nothin! :p

OP
OP
Tim H.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
I had a 2007 F-250 with the 6.0 and when it was cold out, it would have the stiction problem exactly as described by the manufacturer. I drained a qt of oil and added the Hotshot Stiction Eliminator....it was like night and day--worked exactly as advertised. Smooth start-ups on cold days and it ran so much smoother. FYI---it was made for diesels, but I'm sure y'all know that.
The HOTSHOT brand is safe for all gas & Diesel engines
Sponsored