fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 95% sure that the appearance and wheel package options are a built in pricing tool to give dealers cushion on the sticker price. I'm referring to the Lariat in particular.

No appearance package? Body paint color bumpers and fender trim, 18" wheels.
$900 appearance package? gray paint bumpers and trim, or chrome, whatever, instead of body color paint.
$900 wheel package? 18" wheels with gray paint instead of the other 18" wheels, or fully painted 17" wheels.

Those two options look nice, but arguably no better than a truck without them, and add $1800 to the sticker.

End rant.
Sponsored

fast40s

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT, 2013 Explorer Limited, 2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2
Occupation
Engineer
I'm 95% sure that the appearance and wheel package options are a built in pricing tool to give dealers cushion on the sticker price. I'm referring to the Lariat in particular.

$900 appearance package? gray paint bumpers and trim, or chrome, whatever, instead of body color paint.
$900 wheel package? 18" wheels with gray paint instead of the other 18" wheels, or fully painted 17" wheels.

Those two options look nice, but arguably no better than a truck without them, and add $1800 to the sticker.

End rant.
I don’t know if there is any “value” in the Saber exterior color, but if you want that color you must have the Sport Appearance Package. Based on pictures I have seen and the comments on this forum from people who have seen the color in person, I doubt Saber would be an extra cost option if it was a stand alone color. This not intended to be a knock against this color, just an observation concerning “value”.

OP
OP
fusseli

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Saber looks really good in person, so does the blue. The red wasn't as good, IMO.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

End rant.
Like most things in this world "Value" has a different meaning for everyone. While some could never see the value of spending 40K+ on a Lariat and are happy with a base model,there are many of us who do. Same goes for the appearance packages. One of my must haves was the sport package and I found value in having it where as I dislike the chrome package but that's just my personal preference. I really love that Ford gave us all these different choices throughout all their models. :)

Saber looks really good in person, so does the blue. The red wasn't as good, IMO.
I had a really hard time choosing between the Saber and the Blue as I love both colors. My local dealer just happened to have one in Saber with everything I would've ordered so I went with that one and am very happy with the color. Hopefully they still have the blue when I'm ready for my next Ranger in a few years.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I think the packages do two things:
  1. Make it easier to build the trucks since there are less things to configure - if every feature in a package could be selected individually it would vastly increase the number of build configurations they would need to support
  2. Packages as a general rule increase the sale price of a vehicle. I doubt most people would choose EVERY option in a package if they could. So most people end up choosing packages and take some options they don't really want, but have to take.

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I can personally attest that when totaled, the Sport Appearance Package adds $716 to the value on top of base value.

For $1200 it was a must for me when choosing my truck. Not only because I liked what it did to the truck visually, but what I felt it added personally for value.

0EB8BDA9-16B0-4006-A40A-043A973D3489.jpeg

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I don’t know if there is any “value” in the Saber exterior color, but if you want that color you must have the Sport Appearance Package. Based on pictures I have seen and the comments on this forum from people who have seen the color in person, I doubt Saber would be an extra cost option if it was a stand alone color. This not intended to be a knock against this color, just an observation concerning “value”.
Saber is a premium paint as it is a heavy metallic.
2020 brings RaceRed which has a very strong following in fervor if not percentage.
RaceRed is a non-metallic paint, but it will take sales from Saber.

I have Saber and bought the STX primarily for the color.
If RaceRed were available I probably would have bought a XL 101A package
If neither color , I would probably still be driving my 2001 Ranger.

Surfink

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Pepper White Cooper S Clubman, 2019 Saber STX SuperCrew
Vehicle Showcase
I am like Floyd and bought the STX to get the Saber color..

IMG_0905.JPG

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Like most things in this world "Value" has a different meaning for everyone. While some could never see the value of spending 40K+ on a Lariat and are happy with a base model,there are many of us who do. Same goes for the appearance packages. One of my must haves was the sport package and I found value in having it where as I dislike the chrome package but that's just my personal preference. I really love that Ford gave us all these different choices throughout all their models. :)

I had a really hard time choosing between the Saber and the Blue as I love both colors. My local dealer just happened to have one in Saber with everything I would've ordered so I went with that one and am very happy with the color. Hopefully they still have the blue when I'm ready for my next Ranger in a few years.
"While some could never see the value of spending 40K+ on a Lariat and are happy with a base model,there are many of us who do. Same goes for the appearance packages."

And some dont give a crap about "value" and buy exactly what we want.

I could have bought a Lariat FX4 if i wanted, but that trim has a long list of crap I dont want.

I special ordered exactly what i wanted which turned out to be a 4x4 Saber Supercab STX, with a handle full of options added. Tow package, locking rear, rear slider, etc.

I dont buy anything based on "value" and instead buy what i want, regardless of "value". I bet the majority are the same.

Value is a buzz word for magazine writers trying to compare vehicles. I doubt most people purchase anything soley based on value.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
"While some could never see the value of spending 40K+ on a Lariat and are happy with a base model,there are many of us who do. Same goes for the appearance packages."

I could have bought a Lariat FX4 if i wanted, but that trim has a long list of crap I dont want.

I special ordered exactly what i wanted which turned out to be a 4x4 Saber Supercab STX, with a handle full of options added. Tow package, locking rear, rear slider, etc.

I dont buy anything based on "value" and instead buy what i want, regardless of "value". I bet the majority are the same.

Value is a buzz word for magazine writers trying to compare vehicles. I doubt most people purchase anything soley based on value.
Hound dog Get a job...

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Agreed - I ordered my FX4 Lariat with EXACTLY what I wanted. It was the whole reason I ordered one rather than buying off the lot - so I got EXACTLY what I wanted.

I certainly didn't NEED many of the features I got, but I WANTED them. And I'm very happy with my decisions. Even after 4 months, I can't think of one thing I would change about my order. At one point I thought I made a mistake and should have gotten the LT tires (only $175 additional for tougher offroad tires), but then I found out I would have had to order the sport package (which I didn't want), which then made it like another $1000. It I will use what came on mine and buy 6-8 ply tires when I have to replace them.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Wow...Who pi$$ed in your Cheerios today:question:

My only point was everyone has their own definition of "VALUE".

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow...Who pi$$ed in your Cheerios today:question:

My only point was everyone has their own definition of "VALUE".
I guess that is how I interpreted what he said.....

OP
OP
fusseli

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase

I agree with you. No buyer of a new vehicle should have any remorse, because that would suck really bad. For the availability, configurability, and the price paid for new everyone should be what they want.

In my case I wanted Lariat and a few key options, but not the appearance packages. As it turns out nearly every dealer stock Lariat has an appearance package of some kind. The ones that didn't were missing something else I want, like FX4. In my case I "negotiated" toward a price where I wasn't really paying for the appearance package but it was a win win since I bought from dealer stock in the end.

OP
OP
fusseli

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
It still bugs me that Lariat gets 18" wheels, FX4 resizes them to 17" which makes sense for off roaders, then there's a convenient sticker option to "upgrade" back to 18s for $800.
Sponsored