Stereo Dealer Service

Esalas

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Salas
I’m fuming about my dealership service department. I have an issue with my SiriusXM not working. I posted this thread a few weeks ago. https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/sync-3-siriusmx-not-opening.4439/

I
took the truck to the dealership where I bought it to have it checked. They had it for a day on Sept. 25th, they said they had to send an email to Ford to get an answer on what they needed to replace. I called them last Monday since I did not got a call back, and they told me they got word from Ford and the APM and screen needed to get replaced. They set me for today appointment half-day service.

When I got there today, they told me I need to leave the truck in the shop until next Tuesday, because they are swamped with services. WTF it’s just a stereo computer and screen swap!! They should be able to do that fairly quick and more that I had an appointment for today. Really disappointed in this kind of service on a new truck.

They offered me a loaner, but, I just told them to call me when they have time, pretty sure that was a mistake, they’ll never have time lol if I’ll leave it to them.

Do dealerships honor appointment dates or it’s always on a day to day basis? I’ve been lucky enough that I never had to take my cars for warranty stuff until now and not liking the process at all.

Maybe I’m being a brat about it. It’s just that it’s a new truck, you would expect some kind of urgency in the matter.
Sponsored

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I’m fuming about my dealership service department. I have an issue with my SiriusXM not working. I posted this thread a few weeks ago. https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/sync-3-siriusmx-not-opening.4439/

I
took the truck to the dealership where I bought it to have it checked. They had it for a day on Sept. 25th, they said they had to send an email to Ford to get an answer on what they needed to replace. I called them last Monday since I did not got a call back, and they told me they got word from Ford and the APM and screen needed to get replaced. They set me for today appointment half-day service.

When I got there today, they told me I need to leave the truck in the shop until next Tuesday, because they are swamped with services. WTF it’s just a stereo computer and screen swap!! They should be able to do that fairly quick and more that I had an appointment for today. Really disappointed in this kind of service on a new truck.

They offered me a loaner, but, I just told them to call me when they have time, pretty sure that was a mistake, they’ll never have time lol if I’ll leave it to them.

Do dealerships honor appointment dates or it’s always on a day to day basis? I’ve been lucky enough that I never had to take my cars for warranty stuff until now and not liking the process at all.

Maybe I’m being a brat about it. It’s just that it’s a new truck, you would expect some kind of urgency in the matter.
Unfortunately, you are at the mercy of the local dealership which isn't owned by FORD. You can complain to FORD corporate and they might be able to help. I'm in a region where a lot of services including oil changes need to be scheduled weeks or months in advance due to how busy the local places are. Some times you can develop a relationship with the service department and they treat you better or fit you in. I'm finding that w/ the new Ranger most dealerships haven't bothered to get continuing training for their employees and they have to learn as they go. My local one really would like to send people but they are very short-staffed and it's even hard to send people away to other regions just for more training. My local dealership is very nice to deal with as they are upfront about how they might need more time on things. Like the TSB about re-programming, they didn't know it would take almost an hour just to download the software for the PCM flash.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
That's what appointments are for. I'd be upset too.

One of my f-150's needed an oil sending unit so I ended up with a loaner. Took them 3 weeks to get the part and when I told them I was racking up 125 miles a day on the loaner they had the part the next day.

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
On my old Focus, i got a recall for a part that was already replaced under recall...a recall on a recall. Called the dealership well in advance and made appt, made them aware it was for the recalled part.

Appt came and when i brought it in, "Ok sir, we'll have to verify and order the part. It could take a week."

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
A good dealership should honor an appointment unless there are extenuating circumstances (but those should be rare).

An example of how I think it should be done - I had to have my passenger mirror turn signal housing replaced because it was leaking. @Willcuts93 saw my posting on this forum and offered to personally fix it (he works at a dealership near me) - he said to call the service department, and set it up. They ordered the part, and when it came in they called to schedule the appointment. I took it in, and it took almost as long to do the paperwork as it did to have the housing replaced. All on time, all as promised. I was at the dealership about 30 minutes I think. Although it was a simple fix, they made it quick and easy with no problems. Thank you Matt!!!

Unfortunately, I think they are not the norm for service departments. I've had reasonably good luck with local dealerships for the most part, but have also had some bad experiences as well. Some of the experiences people relate here just make me shake my head.

For most people there are options. If you don't get good service at one dealer, take it to another one. It is worth the drive if they provide good service.

OP
OP

Esalas

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Salas
Update: just had to bite the bullet and took the loaner. The loaner they gave is a Wait For It!! A white 2 door FIESTA!! That’s crazy lol. I feel so defeated.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Update: just had to bite the bullet and took the loaner. The loaner they gave is a Wait For It!! A white 2 door FIESTA!! That’s crazy lol. I feel so defeated.
Loaners are suppose to be comparable to the vehicle you brought in. I'd have raised hell over a Fiesta!:curse:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
YuK!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Esalas

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Salas
Correction it has 4 doors. I'm pretty sure the service adviser is just messing with me at this point. Just for questioning their methods. I'll probably be sending an email to the dealers General Manager, I've seen him pretty active responding to customers when there's a bad review online and he provides his email address to check on the situation. I really wish my first experience would have been different.

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I had my Ranger in the shop 5 days after purchase with a bad injector. It stayed there for three weeks. Not at the dealership I bought from. No loaner. I raised the issue with corporate. My wallet is fatter and my truck is running like a top. Ford stepped up big time.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I'm still waiting on an axle shaft. My dealer is very apologetic, and even though my rear brakes are "braking" still, they are continuing to break from the warped axle...

They don't try to sell me anything extra, and tell me exactly how long I'll be there, etc.

The dealer I got my Focus ST from couldn't be any more different. They constantly tried to sell me detailing, pinstriping, tires, and other nonsense I didn't need nor want at prices that were higher than the sky.

They also put 4.7 quarts of 5w20 in at my first oil change which DIDN'T EVEN REGISTER ON THE DIPSTICK, and I drove on it for 1000 miles until I checked the oil... (the car takes 5.7L of 5W30)

Unfortunately, it's all based on how their GM runs the shop...

Loaners are suppose to be comparable to the vehicle you brought in. I'd have raised hell over a Fiesta!:curse:
I'd just hitch it to my camper and tell them I thought it was a Ranger :)

A good dealership should honor an appointment unless there are extenuating circumstances (but those should be rare).

An example of how I think it should be done - I had to have my passenger mirror turn signal housing replaced because it was leaking. @Willcuts93 saw my posting on this forum and offered to personally fix it (he works at a dealership near me) - he said to call the service department, and set it up. They ordered the part, and when it came in they called to schedule the appointment. I took it in, and it took almost as long to do the paperwork as it did to have the housing replaced. All on time, all as promised. I was at the dealership about 30 minutes I think. Although it was a simple fix, they made it quick and easy with no problems. Thank you Matt!!!

Unfortunately, I think they are not the norm for service departments. I've had reasonably good luck with local dealerships for the most part, but have also had some bad experiences as well. Some of the experiences people relate here just make me shake my head.

For most people there are options. If you don't get good service at one dealer, take it to another one. It is worth the drive if they provide good service.

Ur supposed to top the blinker fluid on them weekly, or you run the risk of springing a leak.

OP
OP

Esalas

First Name
Edgardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Salas
Got my Ranger back last Tuesday, after 5 days sitting in the dealership untouched. Was monitoring it with the Theft app. It only took the 3 hours to fix it. Everything working as expected now.

So, if anyone starts having issues with SiriusXM not opening, you'll need an APM and Screen replacement. Not sure why the screen thought. One thing I noticed my Sirius in my Ranger was that my Travel Link subscriptions some of them were showing as I unsubscribed. If you have that issue, maybe you'll need it serviced too. Just don't take it to my dealership lol. They couldn't even refill the washer fluid that was with an alert on the dashboard.
Sponsored