First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Retired
so this part if unplugged will cause the auto shut off to stop . Was told it is the part that disables it if the battery is low . The question is does this control anything else before I unplug it to stop the auto shut off

Screenshot_20210401-185543_Samsung Internet.jpg
Sponsored

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
All you have to do is plug a $3 night light into the 110VAC socket on the back of the console and the auto stop won't work. Anytime you want it to work, just unplug the light. I found a blue one on Amazon that isn't very bright at all. If you prefer no light at all, just paint the light black.

OP
OP
Dmc

Dmc

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Retired
All you have to do is plug a $3 night light into the 110VAC socket on the back of the console and the auto stop won't work. Anytime you want it to work, just unplug the light. I found a blue one on Amazon that isn't very bright at all. If you prefer no light at all, just paint the light black.
Ya but that causes a parasitic draw if it decided not to auto shut off . Plus unplugging that is free

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I unplugged mine over a year ago and just forgot about it. Also got a tune that disables it. No issues.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
Why not just push the button on the console and turn it off everytime you drive?

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
The question is does this control anything else before I unplug it to stop the auto shut off
It is the BMS or Battery Monitor Sensor. It monitors the state of charge of your battery and provides input to the Body Control Module, which controls all of the electronics in your Ranger. The BCM also talks to your Powertrain Control Module, that uses that information to control the output of the alternator, which provides power to your vehicle and charges your battery.

So what happens when you disconnect the BMS? Two computers in your Ranger lose data from that sensor. The alternator operates at full capacity, charging your battery when it doesn’t need to charge, wearing out the battery and the alternator and drawing more power from the engine resulting in less efficiency or lower MPG.

Can you unplug it? Yes. Go ahead.

Edit: I just thought of another benefit to unplugging. If your battery gets low while your car has been parked for days in the airport’s remote parking lot, you will not get a message on your FordPass app that “connectivity services are being shutdown to conserve battery.”

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dmc

Dmc

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Retired
It is the BMS or Battery Monitor Sensor. It monitors the state of charge of your battery and provides input to the Body Control Module, which controls all of the electronics in your Ranger. The BCM also talks to your Powertrain Control Module, that uses that information to control the output of the alternator, which provides power to your vehicle and charges your battery.

So what happens when you disconnect the BMS? Two computers in your Ranger lose data from that sensor. The alternator operates at full capacity, charging your battery when it doesn’t need to charge, wearing out the battery and the alternator and drawing more power from the engine resulting in less efficiency or lower MPG.

Don't have much hope for the Alternator due to its location being close to road debri and water . So don't think it will ware out before it being damaged due to road grime. I know it dosnt throw any codes .

Davejb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL STX
Not everyone has the onboard inverter.