Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
SpaceX opens up Starlink internet availability around the world. $99 down and $99/month plus $499 for hardware to get started.

I live in the country and my only internet option is a WISP offering 10mb down for $100 a month. Starlink is saying speeds should be between 50 and 150mb to begin.

During early testing, customers were consistently getting around 100mb down speed.

StarlinkConfirmed.png
Sponsored

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I hope this takes off and it performs how its suppose to. The problem I think Starlink will run into is the corrupt countries not allowing people to get it. Russia (from the article I read)has ordered its people not to use it. Take Globe in the Philippines, they will do everything they can to not allow Starlink to have customers.

Anyway
Will this sat net be available for GPS all over the world including the ocean? Think of a sinking ship that could be located in mins or someone lost in the woods. If so, it can save alot of people. It can also allow the government to do their BS.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Will this sat net be available for GPS all over the world including the ocean? Think of a sinking ship that could be located in mins or someone lost in the woods. If so, it can save alot of people. It can also allow the government to do their BS.
You would need a geo/gyro-stabilized, ground-based (ship based) dish to point at the Starlink satellite. Which is by no means impossible, just prohibitively expensive.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
I hope this takes off and it performs how its suppose to. The problem I think Starlink will run into is the corrupt countries not allowing people to get it. Russia (from the article I read)has ordered its people not to use it. Take Globe in the Philippines, they will do everything they can to not allow Starlink to have customers.

Anyway
There has been PLB (personal locator beacons) for a while as well as their commercial counterparts. I have a Garmin Inreach which I use for hiking and off roading. It works over a majority of the world and offers satellite texting. I originally used a Spot Messenger when they first came out. It allowed me to go on solo motorcycle rides while my wife could track me from home. That way she knew when she had to send the pool boy home when I returned.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
There has been PLB (personal locator beacons) for a while as well as their commercial counterparts. I have a Garmin Inreach which I use for hiking and off roading. It works over a majority of the world and offers satellite texting. I originally used a Spot Messenger when they first came out. It allowed me to go on solo motorcycle rides while my wife could track me from home. That way she knew when she had to send the pool boy home when I returned.
At my house it was Pablo the pizza dude! ?

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
You would need a geo/gyro-stabilized, ground-based (ship based) dish to point at the Starlink satellite. Which is by no means impossible, just prohibitively expensive.
Kinda.....it's not your normal satellite dish, it's a phased array inside that " dish " they provide. You have to remember, the starlink satellites are NOT geosynchronous, they fly by constantly so the array has to be able " see " a fairly large chunk of sky to track them.

Here's a neat page with somebody that took a dish apart.

https://arstechnica.com/information...mcflatface-the-spacex-starlink-user-terminal/

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I actually got the email to sign up and waa going to, but then the very next day, one of our major telephone companies finally came through with the rural service I have been waiting for. It is much less expensive, slower but also has unlimited data.

Starlink for some will be a game changer.

If you live in the north, make sure it is well above any potential snow and watch that you do not have anything close to the lower lip of the dish.

The dish moves and it is heated. Snow can melt off the dish and form icicles, which can then connect to whatever is below it, stopping the dish from moving and burning out the dish motor.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Meh, in 10 years it'll be miniaturized electronics. Remember the first GPS receivers? Now it's one chip with an integrated antenna.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Oh my, that's awfully close to the company name "SkyNet". If any of their correspondence comes back with the name Cyberdyne on it, watch out, a Terminator could be knocking at your door. :bandit:

Sorry, just had to do it............:)

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The other new service did not pan out, because the signal was not strong enough. The hills and trees for the 6.7 kms (4.16 miles) were too much for it. I am back to getting the Starlink. Just have a little more persuading to do with the bride, then I will get it. Waiting doesn’t hurt as it gives time for the snow on the roof to melt.

I would like to know what the cost is for the public service (non Beta) when it comes and if the data is still unlimited.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have pre-ordered Starlink. If I had ordered it when I first received the email, I would have it by now. I am not sure if it will be weeks or months before they get back to me to finalize the order.

I will be all ready for it when it shows up.

OP
OP
DeathRanger

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I have pre-ordered Starlink. If I had ordered it when I first received the email, I would have it by now. I am not sure if it will be weeks or months before they get back to me to finalize the order.

I will be all ready for it when it shows up.
I ordered mine almost immediately after announcement. I've been waiting for starlink for awhile. Order number is ORD-805XX so I'm near the top but I've seen lots of people who ordered after me get theirs. I've even seen people in the nearby city where 1gigabit fiber is available that have starlink dishes. Meanwhile I've got maybe 10mb down and still waiting.

Don't forget this is beta. there is still lots of outages and downtime.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By not ordering the moment I received the invite, I missed out on the limited (handful) of dishes available in our area (cell).

I realize now that I may be waiting for 3 to 9 months before I receive my dish. It truly is just Beta testing right now and are not really serving the public yet.

I hope I am wrong, but I have put receiving the dish any time soon out of my thoughts. I just hope it doesn’t arrive after the snow flies.

5G is another option in the future, but we don’t receive 4G at the moment and some places barely get a cell signal at all. The price of living in a rural area, high over a hill, with the cell towers down below on the other side of the hill, only 6 miles away.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
Anyone know if this can be used as a mobile device, as in an RV? This also solves a connection issue I have in Mexico. If this is mobile and usable for the months I'm in Mexico it would be sweet.
Sponsored