SSM 49264 - Climate Control Temperature Will Not Adjust With Clicking/Snapping Noise From The Dash

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I do not off hand but will look at the service invoice this evening and see what that says. I guess I didn’t realize there was more than one part. I was told they were changing the “Climate Control Module”. To me that means 1 complete assembly, but I’m old school. ?
If they list some part numbers on the invoice that would be great. Just trying to get an idea of what they consider the “Climate Control Module” since that would be comprised of either the entire air blend box including actuators or the hardware which controls those devices.
Sponsored

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Year 2021 . . . we can send rovers to Mars . . . yet we are unable to design a reliable blend door and actuator ?

Our '94 Jeep GC ZJ had similar problems. Stripped actuator gears and broken blend doors. Had to remove the dash to replace the blend door after the shaft broke off. :facepalm:

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
The TSB says to replace 18478 which should be everything with the green triangle.

One of the right-hand (in the diagram, driver side of course) 19E616B's is what I pulled out in my video.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/climate-control/heater-repair-parts/heater-assy-9878383-1

1614117952796.png
See if you can disassemble that part and "correct" the flaw now that you have it "easily" removable. I'd hate to keep putting 35$ parts in over and over (plus I'm already out of warranty)

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
See if you can disassemble that part and "correct" the flaw now that you have it "easily" removable. I'd hate to keep putting 35$ parts in over and over (plus I'm already out of warranty)
I pulled the actuator cover and bent the contacts where they would rub against the track a little tighter. Unsure if that was the problem. The way the TSB is written makes me think they got the problem figured out with a new version of actuator. I'm going to try one new one, if it happens again I'll dive deeper.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Andy....
Here is the copy of my service invoice. I'm guessing the number they show is for the entire "Climate Control Assembly" as they call it. Looks like that IPB that was posted by Daniel has the best info on what all is involved in that assembly. I see you are in Colorado, wish I could recommend my dealer for this but since I'm still waiting on parts to get me back to where I was before the dash pull....uh, no..... :explode:

IMG_1535.jpg

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Andy....
Here is the copy of my service invoice. I'm guessing the number they show is for the entire "Climate Control Assembly" as they call it. Looks like that IPB that was posted by Daniel has the best info on what all is involved in that assembly. I see you are in Colorado, wish I could recommend my dealer for this but since I'm still waiting on parts to get me back to where I was before the dash pull....uh, no..... :explode:
If all you're waiting on is those panels by the 12v ports to be fixed, you might be able to do it yourself. They pull straight to the rear, and you have to pull HARD. It's possible they missed the clip notch. Now if they broke or lost the little white clips, then yes they owe you some parts.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
If all you're waiting on is those panels by the 12v ports to be fixed, you might be able to do it yourself. They pull straight to the rear, and you have to pull HARD. It's possible they missed the clip notch. Now if they broke or lost the little white clips, then yes they owe you some parts.
Yes brother....they went and broke the clips or I would already have her fixed up....;)
Better yet, I didn't post pic but they broke at least one clip on each of the sill covers because they tried to install them on the wrong doors... :question:
Obviously they were in a major hurry to put it back together and get my truck out of the shop. That is exactly how they made it seem. I guess they figured it would be easier to fix any issue after the fact....
I really liked this service department until they started treating me like a number....:rockon:

Ron Heritage

First Name
Roniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I seem to be having this problem in my dual climate Ranger. Back in April the drivers side a/c was blowing warm air while the passenger was nice and cool even though I had both set to cool. It lasted only three days and had seemingly fixed itself. Fast forward to last Saturday and it happened again for several days in a row. Once again it is miraculously fixed today. This time I am booked in at the dealership next week. Stay tuned.....

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I seem to be having this problem in my dual climate Ranger. Back in April the drivers side a/c was blowing warm air while the passenger was nice and cool even though I had both set to cool. It lasted only three days and had seemingly fixed itself. Fast forward to last Saturday and it happened again for several days in a row. Once again it is miraculously fixed today. This time I am booked in at the dealership next week. Stay tuned.....
Hi Ron,

The blend door is sticking....not a easy repair but I recommend you get it fixed...It will not heal itself.

best,
Phil

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab FX4
Next week...I am scheduled to drop off my 2019 XLT supercab 300A for this issue. (Manual temp control non-dual zone)

Telltale sounds of a mechanical grinding/clicking/popping/snapping sound from behind the HVAC control panel.

Fan blower speed not affected, I still am able to direct fan vent positions from windshield defrost to body to feet however the temperature control is gone...moving the control dial all the way to cold and all the way to Max heat results in no temp change.

I am extremely fortunate this has happened during my remaining warranty period (bumper to bumper) as it's almost up.

Dealer has confirmed SSM49264 to be followed...confirmed it is a complete dash and console removal process...min 2 day in the shop if all goes well.

I hope the tech treats the repair well and does their best to put back together without incidents like broken clips/panels, scratched panels/dash...but I understand things happen and if they should I'm confident they'll make things right...although it may come as a time cost to me.

My real hope here is that the replacement piece going in is an updated part (which is still no guarantee) but I'd hate to have this issue pop up again for a repair out of warranty. SSM49264 specifically mentions 2019-2020 models built on or before July 30,2020 so I hope that's an indicator a better improved design has been implemented.

I still love this little truck....but I'm going through a few recent bumps and bruises recently where warranty has saved me..

- Broken sliding rear window clip (required entire rear window to be replaced) as clip/latch is not a service able part...here in Canada window price was almost $2100 not including tax and labor.

- Now this heater blend door/box assembly issue....total part and labor cost still TBD...but I can imagine.

All of this within the last month and a bit...I have about 2200 miles/ 3500km remaining on bumper to bumper warranty.

I'd definitely be sour If I had to pay out of pocket for all these repairs if just out of the warranty period for a truck thats 2.5 yrs old and just getting to 60,000kms

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Next week...I am scheduled to drop off my 2019 XLT supercab 300A for this issue. (Manual temp control non-dual zone)

Telltale sounds of a mechanical grinding/clicking/popping/snapping sound from behind the HVAC control panel.

Fan blower speed not affected, I still am able to direct fan vent positions from windshield defrost to body to feet however the temperature control is gone...moving the control dial all the way to cold and all the way to Max heat results in no temp change.

I am extremely fortunate this has happened during my remaining warranty period (bumper to bumper) as it's almost up.

Dealer has confirmed SSM49264 to be followed...confirmed it is a complete dash and console removal process...min 2 day in the shop if all goes well.

I hope the tech treats the repair well and does their best to put back together without incidents like broken clips/panels, scratched panels/dash...but I understand things happen and if they should I'm confident they'll make things right...although it may come as a time cost to me.

My real hope here is that the replacement piece going in is an updated part (which is still no guarantee) but I'd hate to have this issue pop up again for a repair out of warranty. SSM49264 specifically mentions 2019-2020 models built on or before July 30,2020 so I hope that's an indicator a better improved design has been implemented.

I still love this little truck....but I'm going through a few recent bumps and bruises recently where warranty has saved me..

- Broken sliding rear window clip (required entire rear window to be replaced) as clip/latch is not a service able part...here in Canada window price was almost $2100 not including tax and labor.

- Now this heater blend door/box assembly issue....total part and labor cost still TBD...but I can imagine.

All of this within the last month and a bit...I have about 2200 miles/ 3500km remaining on bumper to bumper warranty.

I'd definitely be sour If I had to pay out of pocket for all these repairs if just out of the warranty period for a truck thats 2.5 yrs old and just getting to 60,000kms
The repair is able to be done in half a day

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Show the tech my trick from post #25, it may save him a lot of time and you a ton of squeaks.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I don't want a rush job...but I'd be all in for that if it goes down that way!
Not saying it's a rush job. Simply stating the repair takes half a day. I know because I had it done on mine
Sponsored