Squeaky Back Seat

jh13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
anyone else have issues with the back seat in their crew cab squeaking whenever you go over a rough section of road? I know it’s the seat because it goes away when someone is sitting on it. Can’t recreate it very well to diagnose it though. Anyone know of a TSB?
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
anyone else have issues with the back seat in their crew cab squeaking whenever you go over a rough section of road? I know it’s the seat because it goes away when someone is sitting on it. Can’t recreate it very well to diagnose it though. Anyone know of a TSB?
I've heard something back there when going over rough roads but never really investigated it. I wouldn't characterize it as a squeak as much as a rattle sound, though. Something seems a bit loose.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I've heard something back there when going over rough roads but never really investigated it. I wouldn't characterize it as a squeak as much as a rattle sound, though. Something seems a bit loose.
Haven't noticed a seat squeak, but those damn seat belt buckles like to bang on the wall constantly and it drives me insane.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I have noticed the sound of smthg shifting back there but no squeaking.....I suspect it to be the seat, the jack seems secure & I have a towel stuffed around it.

If you investigate further & find it's not the seat then it could be excessive sealant on the cab rubbing against the bed. That issue or tsb is posted somewhere in this forum.

Also, when I tap on the back carpet I can hear a wire rattle.....that might be what RedlandRanger is hearing

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Also, when I tap on the back carpet I can hear a wire rattle.....that might be what RedlandRanger is hearing
Where do you tap to hear the rattle?

OP
OP

jh13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Yeah squeak probably isn't the best description. More of a creak or a chirp when you drive over train tracks or bumps in the road. And I shouldn't mentioned to that it's definitely on the drivers side.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
[QUOTE="User79, post: 51155, member: 1490"
Where do you tap to hear the rattle?[/QUOTE]

Just left of center, about half way up

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just left of center, about half way up
I just took a look and I think that might be it. The fiber panel was hitting the metal back in one spot that sounded suspiciously like what I've heard. It is just above the jack (to the right of the base of the jack). I put some padding in there and will see if I hear the noise again.

Thank you!

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I just took a look and I think that might be it. The fiber panel was hitting the metal back in one spot that sounded suspiciously like what I've heard. It is just above the jack (to the right of the base of the jack). I put some padding in there and will see if I hear the noise again.

Thank you!
So not a wire rattle, lol. I just remember hearing a noise, I didn't investigate, I just did the same as you & stuffed some foam up there. I hope it solves your issue!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So not a wire rattle, lol. I just remember hearing a noise, I didn't investigate, I just did the same as you & stuffed some foam up there. I hope it solves your issue!
I should probably make a more "permanent" fix if this eliminates it. If it does, I will post a photo of the location for others to address. It only seemed to happen on some rough washboard roads but it was kind of annoying. Rattles and squeaks annoy me, especially in a new vehicle. This is the only one I've had in this truck other than cargo or stuff in the interior bouncing around. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the heads up. One reason I really like this forum - lots of really good info and lots of very helpful people.

OP
OP

jh13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
I think I figured it out.

It was the peg on the bottom left of the rear seat rubbing against the hole in the frame that the peg drops into. You can see some wear on the side of the peg and on the hole, and when I remove it the sound seems to go away (at least so far). Seems like the two are out of alignment in some way.

My question though is what does this peg do, and is it even necessary? I can pull the peg out and just leave the rubber bumper for the seat to sit on.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I think I figured it out.

It was the peg on the bottom left of the rear seat rubbing against the hole in the frame that the peg drops into. You can see some wear on the side of the peg and on the hole, and when I remove it the sound seems to go away (at least so far). Seems like the two are out of alignment in some way.

My question though is what does this peg do, and is it even necessary? I can pull the peg out and just leave the rubber bumper for the seat to sit on.
Hi

You know...I wonder the same thing...Left side was loose and the rear seat would not latch down...tightened this "peg" with a T40 torx and the seat latch now works in the seat down position..Baffled as to why this works when this peg drops into a hole. My guess is the tightening slightly moved the seat bumper to now make it latch in the down position..

I am going to try to pull up the service manual to see if this baffling peg is explained...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored