Spring Detailing

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
The weather is starting to warm up and as soon as some of my supplies arrive next week, I will do my Spring detail. There is a small window, from when it warms up until black fly season.

This is my plan. I am not positive about one part of it. I have crib notes associated with some of the steps just as reminders.

Wash Stage
Rinse off truck
Foam soap it (using Chemical Guys Snow Foam)
Two bucket wash (Using Meguiars Gold Carwash soap)
Blow dry with a leaf blower

Iron remover
Spray on, let it soak for a moment, agitate do not let it dry, rinse off thoroughly (Using Magma iron remover, something you can buy at Canadian Tire)

Windshield and glass protection
Clean the windshield with Rain-x glass cleaner
Apply Rain-x Original Window Treatment

Claying
(using Griots Garage Synthetic Clay)
Cross hatch pattern, lots of suds for lubrication
Rinse off
Blow dry

Fine Polish
(This is the step I am not sure I need as my truck does not have any obvious swirls)

Apply Meguiars Ultimate polish (this is a very fine polish)
Small Circular pattern, doing a 2x2 area at a time. I am doing it by hand using a Meguiars soft foam pad, light even pressure.
Wipe off before the polish dries and buff, using two different microfiber cloths

IPA wash
IPA (50% alcohol and 50% distilled water)
Spray on, wipe off

Wax
Turtle wax 75th Anniversary Ceramic and Graphene Paste Wax
Circular application with microfiber pad
A little goes a long way
Do three panels at a time
Dry to a white haze
Microfibre towel to wipe off
Second towel buff to high gloss shine

That is my plan, for better or worse. I should do it sometime next week, once the Turtle Wax arrives.
Sponsored

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
In your gravel driveway? :facepalm:

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
The weather is starting to warm up and as soon as some of my supplies arrive next week, I will do my Spring detail. There is a small window, from when it warms up until black fly season.

This is my plan. I am not positive about one part of it. I have crib notes associated with some of the steps just as reminders.

Wash Stage
Rinse off truck
Foam soap it (using Chemical Guys Snow Foam)
Two bucket wash (Using Meguiars Gold Carwash soap)
Blow dry with a leaf blower

Iron remover
Spray on, let it soak for a moment, agitate do not let it dry, rinse off thoroughly (Using Magma iron remover, something you can buy at Canadian Tire)

Windshield and glass protection
Clean the windshield with Rain-x glass cleaner
Apply Rain-x Original Window Treatment

Claying
(using Griots Garage Synthetic Clay)
Cross hatch pattern, lots of suds for lubrication
Rinse off
Blow dry

Fine Polish
(This is the step I am not sure I need as my truck does not have any obvious swirls)

Apply Meguiars Ultimate polish (this is a very fine polish)
Small Circular pattern, doing a 2x2 area at a time. I am doing it by hand using a Meguiars soft foam pad, light even pressure.
Wipe off before the polish dries and buff, using two different microfiber cloths

IPA wash
IPA (50% alcohol and 50% distilled water)
Spray on, wipe off

Wax
Turtle wax 75th Anniversary Ceramic and Graphene Paste Wax
Circular application with microfiber pad
A little goes a long way
Do three panels at a time
Dry to a white haze
Microfibre towel to wipe off
Second towel buff to high gloss shine

That is my plan, for better or worse. I should do it sometime next week, once the Turtle Wax arrives.
Should be fine. I basically do the same thing, but with a full suite of Meguiars products...

RangerAJS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4, black out package, 302a, technology.
Occupation
Problem Solver
Power washer? Yes or no? I just picked up the Ryobi 1900 psi from home despot and got the “foam cannon” attachment, which I highly recommend. Nice write up BTW.

OP
OP
Swingpure

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Power washer? Yes or no? I just picked up the Ryobi 1900 psi from home despot and got the “foam cannon” attachment, which I highly recommend. Nice write up BTW.
Thanks.

I have a Ryobi 1800 power washer with an Amazon foam cannon which works well. I would have purchased the Ryobi foam cannon, but they were out of stock at the time at our local Home Depot.

Jtholz

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, FX4, Blackout, 501A, Tow Package
Vehicle Showcase
You should not go in circular patterns. Straight scratches are easier to remove than circular ones.

OP
OP
Swingpure

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should not go in circular patterns. Straight scratches are easier to remove than circular ones.
When I watch the videos from Meguairs and Turtle Wax, they are doing small curricular motions when applying the polish and the wax. The wax does not have any abrasives, the polish does. I watched a few different videos and when applying the polish by hand, they all did the same motion. Here is an example of what I am talking about. I just chose this one because it is fairly short.

OP
OP
Swingpure

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you go to the 10 minute mark of this video, you see the wax being applied in circular motions.

OP
OP
Swingpure

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I did my spring exterior detail today. I decided to skip the polish as the paint was pretty perfect. And because I skipped the polish, I also skipped the IPA wash.

I did put the iron spray on it, but not much happened. I clayed it with the Griots Garage Synthetic Clay. It was very easy to use. Dropped it twice and just washed it off. If it was an actual clay bar, that would have been two in the garbage.

I love the Rain-x window treatment. When it is newly out on, you barely have to turn your wipers on because the water just sheets right off.

I put the new Turtle Wax on. I put it in by hand. I liked the wax pad I was using as it had a sleeve at the back to slide your hand into. The wax went on easy. I put too much on. I know this by how much I ended up using. It did all wipe off and buff up well.

it did have a mirror finish and was slick. I am sure water will sheet off and bead up really well. It should last as a base cost until the fall. I will use the Turtle Wax Hybrid Graphene Flex Wax as a maintainer.

For the first time I wore nitrile gloves and they protected my hands well. They come in a package of a 100, so they will last awhile.

The pictures do not do the finish justice.

3F9B1066-9A08-46C8-895C-F591784EE732.png

00A240DB-D191-4149-8C32-FEC01AE0F3F7.png

C194404F-019A-428F-BD9C-B80CD78559B2.jpeg

056E51C7-4B80-46FB-8D20-2123D656F640.png

02BBB0E9-8C7C-4F15-B6CE-FF2EA9DFF9FE.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: