Sport to Park @ 45mph, why on earth is there no lockout?!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Was that from the night where we were drinking whisky playing banjos?
That was it. Don't forget we were watching the movie Deliverance too.

Deliverance.jpg

Last edited:

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
With that trigger depressed, youā€™d be shocked how little effort it took. Iā€™m very very easy on my vehicles. It happened so quickly I didnā€™t even know what had happened for a moment. The way each of the selections have a sort of peak and valley, they almost pull the lever along. The crazy part was that once it happened, it wouldnā€™t come back out of park until I came to a stop.
Just a note - you don't have to be at a stop to remove from park.

Remember your basics. The brake pedal must be depressed in order to shift *out* of park, which by your first description it doesn't sound like you were doing while you were trying to navigate traffic to get to the shoulder.

mrtimo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 SuperCrew
Something similar happened when my wife was driving the truck. I wasnt in the truck at the time, so canā€™t tell you what she did or didnā€™t do with shifter. Anyway, she reversed out of the driveway, moved to a forward gear, slowly accelerated. After a few yards the truck let out a nasty grinding sound (almost certainly from the transmission), the wheels locked and skidded a little. Either she went to reverse or park, and clearly there is no ā€˜lockoutā€™. Driver error - yes. But odd that it can happen and potentially very dangerous.
Sponsored