Speedometer recalibration tools - Looking for advice

350toRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I'm going to be upgrading my tires to 265/70R17 and want to correct my speedometer after doing so. I know that Forscan can be used for this, but I'd prefer to use a commercial tool that I can leave with the truck when I sell it someday. These tools also claim to adjust shift points and such, though I'm not sure that's important for such a small change in tire size. I've looked at two options:

HYPERTECH: https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/hyper...calibration-programmer-742502/_/R-BFFP-742502

ROUGH COUNTRY: https://www.roughcountry.com/speedo...ord-ranger-4wd-740556&sid=BCsYn83VHp#overview

Two questions:
(1) Does anyone have any experience with either of these tools that they could share, or know of other options I should consider? The Rough Country one is less expensive, but I haven't heard much about it.

(2) If I use one of these tools to correct my speedo and shift points, will I need to "undo" any changes before bringing it in to a dealer to avoid warranty issues?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored

OP
OP
350toRanger

350toRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Don't people just use Forscan?
Thanks for the response. Many do use Forscan as I noted in my post. As I said, I currently think I'd prefer to use a commercial tool such as the ones I asked about.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I thought there was a built in calculator on the trucks? something to do with one of the sticks on th ecolumn and selecting engineering mode and tire sized? May be I'm mis-remembering something on here

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased the Hypertech 742502. Best deal is eBay unmarried. Basically it's a set it and forget it, put it away tool. However, it took 3 settings to get it dialed in for me. I'm currently at 1mph slower than actual. I could get it spot on if I want to be, but good is good enough.
It married my VIN in minutes and the rest is just a piece of cake. You can keep it with you at all times to be a code reader if needed.
I switched to the same tires you did and the mph was off. @75, actually doing 79-80
I had a laptop but crashed to the floor and I wasn't about to go get another one so forscan was out for me.

Last edited:

OP
OP
350toRanger

350toRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I purchased the Hypertech 742502. Best deal is eBay unmarried. Basically it's a set it and forget it, put it away tool. However, it took 3 settings to get it dialed in for me. I'm currently at 1mph slower than actual. I could get it spot on if I want to be, but good is good enough.
It married my VIN in minutes and the rest is just a piece of cake. You can keep it with you at all times to be a code reader if needed.
I switched to the same tires you did and the mph was off. @75, actually doing 79-80
I had a laptop but crashed to the floor and I wasn't about to go get another one so forscan was out for me.
Thanks, Toytec. I'll check out eBay.

Meanwhile, has anyone used the Rough Country tool linked above? It looks similar to the Hypertech but is less expensive.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
My ProCal4 that came with the Ford Performance Tune let me adjust the tire size by changing the Revolutions Per Mile.

OP
OP
350toRanger

350toRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Doesn't look like anyone has used the Rough Country unit. I'll probably spring for the Hypertech.

Meanwhile, does anyone know the answer to my second question (repeated below for reference)?

2) If I use one of these tools to correct my speedo and shift points, will I need to "undo" any changes before bringing it in to a dealer to avoid warranty issues?

Sped68

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I’ve got the Rough Country calibrator, It works as advertised. It was easy to setup and calibrate.
I think it might even say in the instructions but it is advisable to return to stock if you’re taking your truck in for service.

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector
I thought there was a built in calculator on the trucks? something to do with one of the sticks on th ecolumn and selecting engineering mode and tire sized? May be I'm mis-remembering something on here
Did you get any further on this?

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
Curious if either sct is offering the revs per mile adjustment now or if they aren’t if the hypertech can be used with a tune, I’m computer illiterate so forscan is out and my Speedo being off drives me nuts
Sponsored