Speed VS RPM

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
Is there a way to figure out the RPM (more accurate than the tach)at a particular speed for the purpose of determining the optimal or most efficient mph?
Sponsored

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Is there a way to know the RPM more accurate than the tachometer? I don't understand the question.

If you are trying to figure out what speed to drive for best fuel economy, just open up the instantaneous fuel economy gauge in the cluster.

OP
OP
Muffin1

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
yes i m trying to figure the most optimum speed in a particular rpm range for mpg purposes.
I will try that feature you suggested.
thanks.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Yeah..... So in all reality it will depend on your various conditions and how you drive the truck. For myself I was able to manage the low to mid 20's most of the time and sometimes get to tge high 20's(even though some here dont belive it). Can driving in tow mode help? Yes it can. Will checking the RPM for best optimal range help? Not necessarily just because there are too many conditions that will change this. Thankfully with the 10 speed it is easier to stay in the powerband(probably engages before 2,000 RPM but starts at or just after 2,000 RPM). Put simple its not an easu question to answer.

OP
OP
Muffin1

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
thanks for the replys, maybe better said I'm searching for a powerband table or spec chart that shows specific rpm's vs speed, if one exists.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
None that I'm aware of that show RPM to speed. The only way to get that is with a gear speed calculator and knowing the gear ratios(yes they are available). PowerBand starts right around 2,000 and drops around 5,000

OP
OP
Muffin1

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
None that I'm aware of that show RPM to speed. The only way to get that is with a gear speed calculator and knowing the gear ratios(yes they are available). PowerBand starts right around 2,000 and drops around 5,000
ok thanks.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Is there a way to figure out the RPM (more accurate than the tach)at a particular speed for the purpose of determining the optimal or most efficient mph?
Sounds like you’ve spent time behind a Ships Control Console

OP
OP
Muffin1

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
Sounds like you’ve spent time behind a Ships Control Console
Interesting (or funny) you say that, many years ago I had a offshore performance speedboat with the twin engine setup and there was a gauge right between the two tachs to keep both motors ‘synced’ at the same rpm, then I got interested in changing props with different pitches / blade shapes and wound up working for a company called Prop Labs as a independent contractor evaluating & testing different setups, pretty amazing stuff what goes into the design of propellers.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Interesting (or funny) you say that, many years ago I had a offshore performance speedboat with the twin engine setup and there was a gauge right between the two tachs to keep both motors ‘synced’ at the same rpm, then I got interested in changing props with different pitches / blade shapes and wound up working for a company called Prop Labs as a independent contractor evaluating & testing different setups, pretty amazing stuff what goes into the design of propellers.
Interesting thought...
I wonder if you could mount something like this, power it up to 6-7000 rpm's.....wonder how much of a boost it would give you ???

images.jpg

download.jpg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
No chart or anything to back me up. Just my good 'ole seat of the pants experience and opinion on this one. But, what's new?

1500 rpm

OP
OP
Muffin1

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
Interesting thought...
I wonder if you could mount something like this, power it up to 6-7000 rpm's.....wonder how much of a boost it would give you ???

images.jpg

download.jpg
Yea I’ve seen a couple peoples trucks and SUV’s at the marina where I launch my Boat most have a broken/missing blade lol.

OP
OP
Muffin1

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
No chart or anything to back me up. Just my good 'ole seat of the pants experience and opinion on this one. But, what's new?

1500 rpm
That rpm is somewhere in the 60’s mph?. Try that on the NJ Turnpike or Garden State Parkway and you’ll be run off onto the shoulder:LOL:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
That rpm is somewhere in the 60’s mph?. Try that on the NJ Turnpike or Garden State Parkway and you’ll be run off onto the shoulder:LOL:
Not sure if you're serious or not, but of course that would depend upon what gear you are in. 1500 rpm in 3rd is not the same as 1500 rpm in 10th.

OP
OP
Muffin1

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
haha no I'm talking about 10th on highway. And to be clear I should have been more clear in my original post was meant for highway speed & rpm
Sponsored