southwest CO weekend offroad: where would you go?

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
we're thinking about a CO offroad weekend before it gets snowy- were based out of Gallup NM and can hit SW colorado. we dont know the area at all, but have seen roads like imogene pass and similar recommended. big views, with or without camping along the way, make us happy.

stock ranger, fwiw, but we dont mind getting dirty.

any suggestions?
Sponsored

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
If you are still interested, when the weather turns spring ... if you're still interested, get a blm map of the route 141 area from Grand Junction to Naturita. There are tons on old mining roads on the way that are now under BLM management and lots of them are open to dirt bikes, 4 wheelers and off roaders.

Might also look in the Monte Vista/Allamosa area too. A nice side trip from there is the Great Sand Dune, especially in the early summer, late spring when the runoff makes the normally underground river surface.

I haven't done any off roading, but lots of the guys I ride motorcycles with do and they rave about those areas.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
that sounds like a good tip- i love under traveled forest roads. probably wont be back in the 48 states for at least a year, but colorado is definitely on the list for a repeat romp. after that post, we ended up doing imogene pass, black bear pass, and ophir pass which was a super fun link up and we had the best time. my wife is sold on offroading now. although i think she prefers we dont do black bear again.
Sponsored