Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ranger Super Cab XL
Occupation
Production Manager
Hi all,

I'm Allen coming all the way from the other side of the world in South Africa where the Ranger is the second best selling Pick Up Truck on the market, following the Toyota Hilux which has a cult following here.

We are crazy about Trucks here although we affectionately call them "Bakkies" which I believe is somehow derived from the Afrikaans word "Bak" which means Bowl.

This is my 2016 Ranger 2.2 TDCi XL Super Cab, we only have the diesel powered engines here for some unknown reason and the 2 options were either a fuel sipping 2.2L 4 Cyl or a beastly sounding 3.2L 5 Cyl both Turbocharged and either a 6 Forward Manual or Auto when I bought mine and now come in 2,2L Diesel, 2L 4cly Diesel single and Bi-Turbo forms with the 10sp Auto only, I won't bore you with the power outputs because it's lower than what you guys get from the 2.3L Petrol Engines there in the US and Canada.

Over here the Rangers security isn't if the best because its alarm and Door locks are easily and effortlessly bypassed with a craft knife and screwdriver before being whisked away to a new owner elsewhere in Africa. Maybe you guys wont have this issue but it's even easy to open the Bonnet/Hood with just your hand by reaching through the front grill and pulling the release cable. Apart from its minor flaws I believe this is the best option here apart from the Twin Turbo V6 Volkswagen Amarok which will soon be built alongside the Ranger at Ford's Silverton Factory and the legendary, yet slightly underpowered Ranger Raptor which graces our streets fairly often.

I've done a fair amount of modifications to my Truck. It has Ford Approved Wheel Arch Mouldings from EGR Australia, Some new Rims and A/T Tires even though it is 2WD the look is great and the original tires were terrible on anything that wasn't Tarmac, I've upgraded the Sound System to an Android 10 inch display with a Reverse Camera, Upgraded the Speakers to Kicker Splits in the Front and Kicker Mids in the back, StP Black-Silver Sound Deadening in the Doors and back panel, Changed the headlights to those from the Top of The Range Wildtrak Model and added some LED bulbs, Ceramic Coating on the paintwork and done the necessary extreme Dark tint which helps keep unwanted eyes out and added 2 Dashcams:- Front and Back to deny our lovely Metro Police the opportunity to solicit bribes as easily and to a lesser extent provide evidence in the event of an accident.

Although Ford has a reputation for being unreliable here, I have never experienced any issues with either of the 2, almost Identical Rangers I drove around here from new in 2016, the Original one still has it's original battery in it even and has done 180000km(112500Mi) of very hard driving under my heavy feet as a company vehicle which is now on a brand new 3rd set of tires, 4th set of Front brake pads, 2nd set of Front Discs and 2nd set of Shock Absorbers and still going strong.

20210522_122800.jpg
Sponsored

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger ˋ19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
On the other hand, I wish I bought Automatic :crackup: traffic is a Beeatch here
? if you‘d stayed with the 3.2 u wouldn‘t have that prob. 2nd to go. 4th for the city and 6th for every other street… this engine/driveshaft only needs 3 gears. the other 3 are for towing and offroad use :like:

Changed the headlights to those from the Top of The Range Wildtrak Model …
but why? because optics? I was on to take the opposite way in hope, that I can get better bulbs for the H7. The headlights are a mess on the ‘19 wildtrak! But they are much overpriced here in europe. Ford calls 600€ for one …:asshat:

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger ˋ19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
I wish we had a manual option. That is probably my biggest complaint.
agree! on the other hand, europe (and maybe africa) wants to drive ur wheel size but our authorities think ford‘s choice is the law… ur‘s made me think about a new color scheme for mine.

LuckyMonkey7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Lightning
Impossible, you are a man from ZA, you have to be Johan.
Living near Johannesburg (I see the GP) you definitely should've gotten an auto, I agree.

I wish we could get the diesel option here and the everest too.

onemanlan

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger LTX
Occupation
Reseracher
Nice bakkie there bud. My wife is from SA! Definitely saw a fair number of Rangers and Hiluxes while visiting there two years ago. Wish we got the Hilux here in the US. Solid truck. Thanks much for sharing your SA Ranger. I wish we got that 2023 version here in the US along with a manual transmission choice.
Sponsored