David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor, 20 F350 diesel, 09 Ranger
Occupation
Crop advisor, and Farmer
pretty nice rides to be out doing field work
Yes, However if you compare them to a Polaris ranger or a Johndeere gator with cab heat and air and a trailer to haul it and a good truck to pull it those 2 are pretty reasonable. I started with old beater ford rangers and they had too much down time. The 97 leaked a quart of oil to a tank of gas. The 2000 burned a quart of oil to a tank of gas. The one I traded off for the 23 was a 2009 from Canada. It ran great and looked great but the bed supports kept breaking rusting and the the front fender mounts were braking/rusting. We ran it for 4 years with no issues other the cancer. I drive the 21 for work without the probe on when not sampling and my wife is going to drive the 23. The 2010 expy is getting some age on it. Also the ride is unbelievably better then the old rangers.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
They both look great but I prefer the gray one ?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, However if you compare them to a Polaris ranger or a Johndeere gator with cab heat and air and a trailer to haul it and a good truck to pull it those 2 are pretty reasonable. I started with old beater ford rangers and they had too much down time. The 97 leaked a quart of oil to a tank of gas. The 2000 burned a quart of oil to a tank of gas. The one I traded off for the 23 was a 2009 from Canada. It ran great and looked great but the bed supports kept breaking rusting and the the front fender mounts were braking/rusting. We ran it for 4 years with no issues other the cancer. I drive the 21 for work without the probe on when not sampling and my wife is going to drive the 23. The 2010 expy is getting some age on it. Also the ride is unbelievably better then the old rangers.
Those earlier Rangers were strong work horses David. Mine all ran great and you’re right about the ride characteristics. The last one never seemed well-planted unless it was loaded down a bit. It was starting to get a bit rusted out - especially the box - so I sold it to some unsuspecting guy in Indiana.

Kidding! It was a 2001 and I traded it in on my 2019. ?

Wablackwell22

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ranger
Occupation
Paralegal
I like the trucks, but I"m curious about these devices you have bolted to the sides. Obviously they're for collecting soil samples. Do you drive with the window down and pull down on that arm to collect the sample? I'm guessing you're collecting an aggregate of the soil in a given area, because it doesn't look like it would be able to identify the samples you took individually...

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
float the idea to Elon about sending these trucks to the moon to sample the exotic space dust

OP
OP
David Reeves

David Reeves

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Crop advisor, and Farmer
I like the trucks, but I"m curious about these devices you have bolted to the sides. Obviously they're for collecting soil samples. Do you drive with the window down and pull down on that arm to collect the sample? I'm guessing you're collecting an aggregate of the soil in a given area, because it doesn't look like it would be able to identify the samples you took individually...
Yes just just like plowing snow in a parking lot with the window down. You need a good heater or good AC. 2 days out of the year the weather is perfect and you wish you were out in the open.

We take 10 cores from a rtk gps point that we have laid out using other layers of data. Then lay that information on a 2.5 acre grid. Then following the rtk gps on the ipad drive the truck to that exact spot and pull 10 cores 6 inches deep in a 40 foot circle. Then reach out the window grab the handle to get the bucket and pour soil Into a small sample bag.

OP
OP
David Reeves

David Reeves

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Crop advisor, and Farmer
Yes just just like plowing snow in a parking lot with the window down. You need a good heater or good AC. 2 days out of the year the weather is perfect and you wish you were out in the open.

We take 10 cores from a rtk gps point that we have laid out using other layers of data. Then lay that information on a 2.5 acre grid. Then following the rtk gps on the ipad drive the truck to that exact spot and pull 10 cores 6 inches deep in a 40 foot circle. Then reach out the window grab the handle to get the bucket and pour soil Into a small sample bag.
I reread your question. There is a .5 hp 12volt motor that drives a rack and pinion that d the probe down and 2 proximity switches one you adjust for depth the other to stop it at the top. We have a key fob remote to operate it.

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
A video demonstrating this would be too cool!

And since my Ranger stays waxed, garaged, and up on the pavement more than I'd like, this brings to mind a comparison between a police K9 compared to your average family indoor pet.

OP
OP
David Reeves

David Reeves

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Crop advisor, and Farmer
Give me a day or 2. Just found out I have a couple more small fields to do.
Sponsored