First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I wouldn't characterize it as a government power grab.
The deaths are enough of a statistic to prove that its warranted.
As much as I don't like it , and many others who feel it tramples your rights, the vast amount of proof shows that lives matter more. Its inevitable that it will come, and so will many offshoots from that.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Yes but we are missing the Yin to this Yang.
There is no pancake so flat that it only has one side.

What about the lives that are saved due to speeding? Sounds odd to even mutter off my lips but I can't even count the number of times I've sped up and passed a driver that was losing a tire, losing a load, driving drunk, driving angry, having some sort of car malfunction, or driving BELOW posted speeds n the left lane causing a back up. How many times has speed saved me from being boxed in by 18 wheelers?

Not talking about habitual speeding, just an intermittent burst to get around and clear an obstacle. Will the government be paying for damages to vehicles struck by tire debris now? What if I jack on my brakes (my only choice now) to avoid that tire being slung off a truck? What about the 5 car pile up that happens behind me?

Explain to me how Germany operates an Autobahn with incredibly high speeds and afar less number of accidents than we see else where?

What about speed limits? We established current speed limits based on vehicle and tire technology in the 1970's. If you are going to limit us to the posted limit, how about revisiting the posted limits. Cars stop and swerve faster and maintain control much better than the 1974 Crown Victoria Test Vehicles they used.

How about we start enforcing some of the laws that already exist to keep us safe? I still see people talking on their cell while driving. I still see people driving in the let lane (left lane camping). I still see people tailgating. How many times have you seen people make a right turn but go all the way over into the left lane when they do it?

Point is, we should never remove free will unless it is a last resort. There are plenty of other areas to make improvements in safety than auto reducing speed and removing options from drivers - options that save lives too.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Yes but we are missing the Yin to this Yang.
There is no pancake so flat that it only has one side.

What about the lives that are saved due to speeding? Sounds odd to even mutter off my lips but I can't even count the number of times I've sped up and passed a driver that was losing a tire, losing a load, driving drunk, driving angry, having some sort of car malfunction, or driving BELOW posted speeds n the left lane causing a back up. How many times has speed saved me from being boxed in by 18 wheelers?

Not talking about habitual speeding, just an intermittent burst to get around and clear an obstacle. Will the government be paying for damages to vehicles struck by tire debris now? What if I jack on my brakes (my only choice now) to avoid that tire being slung off a truck? What about the 5 car pile up that happens behind me?

Explain to me how Germany operates an Autobahn with incredibly high speeds and afar less number of accidents than we see else where?

What about speed limits? We established current speed limits based on vehicle and tire technology in the 1970's. If you are going to limit us to the posted limit, how about revisiting the posted limits. Cars stop and swerve faster and maintain control much better than the 1974 Crown Victoria Test Vehicles they used.

How about we start enforcing some of the laws that already exist to keep us safe? I still see people talking on their cell while driving. I still see people driving in the let lane (left lane camping). I still see people tailgating. How many times have you seen people make a right turn but go all the way over into the left lane when they do it?

Point is, we should never remove free will unless it is a last resort. There are plenty of other areas to make improvements in safety than auto reducing speed and removing options from drivers - options that save lives too.
Because, just like 'sensible' gun control, it's easier to pass a new law than enforce those already on the books.

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
This is one of those things that needs a lot of conversation.
Feelings on both sides will get hurt.
Governments cave to whoever gets they the most votes and perks.
Having a friend in a wheelchair after being rear-ended by an extreme speeder will give that person a different viewpoint, than lets say the person who sped up to pass a Grandpa toddling along on a back country road. A school age child killed in a school zone while darting between parked cars, will pull more heart strings for change than someone killed in a 2022 Corvette driving well within its designed parameters late at night seeing how fast his new ride could go...apparently a lot faster than his skills.
For every positive or negative there is debate.
For every death there is a solution.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
On the one hand I really don't care for the government overreach and nanny state. Just like seat belts. Yes they save lives but mandating was just a way to generate ticket revenue. But I would actually favor this if it were implemented correctly. Far too many people on the road with very little common sense and consideration for other peoples lives on the road.

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
On the one hand I really don't care for the government overreach and nanny state... But I would actually favor this if it were implemented correctly...
That's the rub. Who could or would implement it correctly? We've seen some drastic measures taken over the past 3 years. I think many could argue that there was extreme Government overreach, depending on local.

In Canada, the Gov. is coming after gun owners. A kabuki theatre we're told, is to reduce gun crime; the vast majority of which (to the point of being all) are from illegal. Why not use the laws which exist to combat the crime? It's far easier to take firearms from people who want to be compliant with the law, than to take them from criminals. And the general public gets to see a Gov., who is taking action.

Some automakers, have started to remove features from vehicles via update. Look on youtube, or google search for Porsche or Tesla.

Frank

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Just another government power grab. The next thing you know if you’re using more juice than your allotment you get taxed on it and your insurance premiums will increase.

no thanks! ?
Exactly...it's about control...they don't give two rats about saving anyone's ass...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I could be wrong, but I don't think they can push an ECM update over the air, but they may secretly update it when you go in for service.
If they want to effectively control speed, make it mandatory for drivers to wear remote controlled neck collars so when they exceed speed...a small charge goes off... ?

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Exactly...it's about control...they don't give two rats about saving anyone's ass...

To a great extent I agree. But I also think they see the larger trend of a great deal of folks on the road who simply lack any form of responsibility. Personally I'd rather see them take the existing penalties and put a 10x multiplier on them, and in the case of tailgating, my pet peeve, a gift of 7.5 - 9.9g to the right foot.

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
Bingo!

And the weak let them, encourage it, and ask for more.

Frank

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
To a great extent I agree. But I also think they see the larger trend of a great deal of folks on the road who simply lack any form of responsibility. Personally I'd rather see them take the existing penalties and put a 10x multiplier on them, and in the case of tailgating, my pet peeve, a gift of 7.5 - 9.9g to the right foot.
Similar to gun debate...the authorities expect criminals to obey laws but only the lawful do...again, it's another mass control cloaked as public safety...
Sponsored