So, is there a consensus top choice for fluids from engine to rear?

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
Oil seems like Mobil 1 Annual Synthetic.
Filter- Wix 1516 or Motorcraft FL400
Trans Case- Redline D6
Axel- Redline 75-90w

Is this pretty much the money shot here for the fluids and filter everyone is using?
Sponsored

dannewps

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I stand by Motul for everything.

I use the RBF 600 DOT 4 for the braking system.

As for the engine, I use the 5W-40 8100 X-Cess.

Differential fluid, I run 75W-90.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Heres my opinion (as thats what most of these threads are):
I would use Motorcraft filters in engine and trans.
And quality synthetic oil of correct spec weight in all areas, brand won't matter too much as long as its decent oil and to spec.
Except for transmission, always use the correct FORD trans fluid.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
This is a hotly debated subject and you will get as many different answers as people who reply. There are the Mobil 1 fans and the Amsoil fans, along with any brand you care to choose. I think the main thing is make sure it's full synthetic and meets the specs listed in the owner's manual and change it often enough.

My personal choices so far are:
Engine oil - Shell Rotella Gas Truck Full Synthetic 5W30
Filter - Motocraft FL-910S
Differentials - Valvoline Synpower Full Synthetic 75-90 gear oil
Transfer Case - Haven't decided but will meet Mercon LV standard

CVCA91911

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Maintenance Mechanic
I used Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic 5W-30 for the motor along with the Fram Extra Guard oil filter. I have not changed out the differential or transfer case fluids yet. My truck is at 5500 miles so I'm going to wait to change out the other fluids.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Engine oil and filter: Whatever full syn and filter is on sale. Changing it every 5k it really doesn't matter. As far as the rest...haven't gotten to that point.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engine oil and filter: Whatever full syn and filter is on sale. Changing it every 5k it really doesn't matter. As far as the rest...haven't gotten to that point.
I would advise doing the differentials. A lot of us have found metal filing and machining chips in them.

Definite thumbs up on full synthetic for everything and 5K on oil changes. Might be a little more selective on the filter than what's on sale.

OP
OP
Whiskeybilt

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
I would advise doing the differentials. A lot of us have found metal filing and machining chips in them.

Definite thumbs up on full synthetic for everything and 5K on oil changes. Might be a little more selective on the filter than what's on sale.
You have any opinion on Lucas Products? I wouldn't use the oil additive, obviously, because our trucks like the thin stuff, but they have a full synthetic gear oil I was considering.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I run house brand full synthetic 5w30 oil (So far just the Rural King) with FL-400S filter. Going to be changing the diffs this fall. I will go with a synthetic 75-90, brand is not of importance to me there either.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You have any opinion on Lucas Products? I wouldn't use the oil additive, obviously, because our trucks like the thin stuff, but they have a full synthetic gear oil I was considering.
No real opinion either way on Lucas products, they are good too. I picked Valvoline because it met specs and was at a good price. A lot of good brand choices out there. I tend to like to stick with known brands that have been around a while, as opposed to generic/store brands. I worked in an industry where we made our brands and store brands, made on same machines but to different specifications, not always as high.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I think the main thing is make sure it's full synthetic and meets the specs listed in the owner's manual and change it often enough.
The best answer, IMO. Timely changes are far more effective than fancy formulations. Any name-brand product that meets the specification is fine. Just change the oil on a timetable that reflects your individual operating conditions.

Jgarrett

First Name
jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
FBI
Engine Mobil 1, diff I use factory recommended.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Put simple all filters I would suggest using the factory Ford Motorcraft. That includes your engineer filter oil filter and transmission filter whenever that filter gets changed of course. For the engine oil Ford recommends at minimum the synthetic blend by Motorcraft. A full synthetic is not required unless you were hitting below -20 degrees. It isn't going to hurt you to run a full synthetic and as others have mentioned make sure it is a good brand. To add to that I will say choose something that is readily available. For transmission and transfer case I see make sure you stick with the Ford fluids. For the front and rear diff it only calls for an 80w 90 gear oil. We're intervals of wind to change out I would suggest following the manufacturer's recommendation with the exception of the engine oil. For engine oil I would recommend every 5000 miles. It's totally up to you and what you decide to do but I would try and recommend staying to what I have informed you. You can still choose a different brand oil especially if going with a full synthetic. I would just suggest making sure it's something that is readily available anywhere you go.

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Haven't changed it yet but I will likely use Rotella Gas Truck 5w-30 full synthetic. It has a stout additive package. I've used it in my last 2 vehicles and it always came back with great UOA numbers. Got a Valvomax drain valve that will get installed at the first change. Oil filter Motorcraft FL-910s. Decent filters, readily available and I use them in my Fusion.

Amsoil Severe Gear for the differentials. I tow a small travel trailer at times so may go with 74w-140 in the rear.
Sponsored