Slow loss of air pressure in right rear tire

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
Is that simply a puncture? Happens over 2-3 days...
Sponsored

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
if it just started it's probably a nail or something. I had a small nail in a tire, I saw it but wasn't losing any air. The shop put it in a water tank an like every ten seconds one air bubble would come up so I just patched it an used it another 6 months until tire time.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Small puncture, or, get yourself one of these, tire valve core tool, around 2 bucks at any auto store.
Could be something as simple as one of the small valves inside the stem has backed off a turn or two.
Small slotted arm of tool will tighten it down. It also pays to go around once or twice a year and snug all of em down.

617354.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Probably a nail. The right rear is the most common tire for flats.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Most likely a small nail. I do a lot of new homes so I pick up a lot of nails on the job site. I just picked up this tire repair kit as it has everything you'll need to fix it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E635PGA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
There was a little repair shop in a gas station near me an those guys could plug anything. My kid had a half inch wide strip of metal in a rear tire right were the sidewall an tread met. They plugged it an it never leaked. It was an around town to school an back car so we just kept it on the rear thinking it'd start leaking again but it never did. Now that place closed an tire places won't plug a tire, only remove it an patch it.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Most likely a small nail. I do a lot of new homes so I pick up a lot of nails on the job site. I just picked up this tire repair kit as it has everything you'll need to fix it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E635PGA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
That’s a great kit - those look like pro-grade tools. When I was in high school, I had a part-time and summer gig at the local Gulf service station - gas jockey and “tire guy”. I had a blast and learned a lot. Our tire plugging tools weren’t even as good as what’s in that kit.

I could use the bays to work on my Roadrunner on Sundays or after hours. The mechanics taught me how to do drum brakes, change thermostats, replace valve cover gaskets, use a timing light, all that old school stuff we don’t need to worry about anymore. I even learned how to operate a tow truck with a sling and use a Slim Jim to open a locked car door - at 17, that’s a crap-ton of fun!

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
LOL... the exact same thing happened to my summer left rear tire 2 weeks ago. Took the truck to have the summer swapped for the winter tires and had them look at the slow leaker... just 1.5" long brad had gotten in there.... easy fix.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
how are they in the united states of america for legalities with tire repairs?

seems up here in snow land, they always say, we cant repair that, the nail damaged the side wall and sell you a new tire.
Tire Repair | TIRE INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION

When I used to wrench for a living these were the guidelines we followed. Outside-in plugs were absolutely not allowed. If a tire had been previously repaired with one we would not fix it. The plug may seal the hole, but it does not patch the inner liner. If a tire had been filled with Slime/Fix-A-Flat we would not repair it. If the tire already had a few patches (three or five, I can't remember) we would not repair it. We only used combination plug patches such as these:
1638665095232.png

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
There was a little repair shop in a gas station near me an those guys could plug anything. My kid had a half inch wide strip of metal in a rear tire right were the sidewall an tread met. They plugged it an it never leaked. It was an around town to school an back car so we just kept it on the rear thinking it'd start leaking again but it never did. Now that place closed an tire places won't plug a tire, only remove it an patch it.
and

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
an sometimes the old school plugs that no one will perform any longer work for a bad hole in a bad place. You can't find a shop to do it now. Now go plug yourself