Slight Shuddering at 1500 RPM

Gunny8531

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
I get a slight shudder when accelerating from a stop, especially going up hill. I also notice a vibration in the seat and steering wheel at 75 MPH and above. Ford dealer couldn't find it. Anyone else have this experience/solution? 2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 fully loaded.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Hey Gunny, did you have the tires balanced? I just ran into this a few weeks ago on a Lariat FX4 and all 4 tires were out of balance. It is covered under the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I wonder how many have this issue and have the factory Bridgestone tires?

I’ve heard two complaints about these tires being notorious for not holding a balance. Makes no sense to me but I swear my shuddering is intermitting and ran smooth after the last R/B.
Also noticed they take a while to warm up.

OP
OP
Gunny8531

Gunny8531

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Hey Gunny, did you have the tires balanced? I just ran into this a few weeks ago on a Lariat FX4 and all 4 tires were out of balance. It is covered under the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty.
It isn't the tires as it happens upon acceleration and it feels like the transmission/engine. It stops shuddering after 3rd gear. Especially felt when in Sport mode from a standing start and uphill. Also, the tires have been rebalanced and nitrogen topped off at proper pressure. At hwy speeds of 75-80, a vibration is felt in the wheel as though the drive shaft is slightly out of balance. Hmmm. Took it in today for re evaluation. Not good for a $42,000 truck. Drove others with no issues prior to purchase. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sako887

First Name
Sarkis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
It isn't the tires as it happens upon acceleration and it feels like the transmission/engine. It stops shuddering after 3rd gear. Especially felt when in Sport mode from a standing start and uphill. Also, the tires have been rebalanced and nitrogen topped off at proper pressure. At hwy speeds of 75-80, a vibration is felt in the wheel as though the drive shaft is slightly out of balance. Hmmm. Took it in today for re evaluation. Not good for a $42,000 truck. Drove others with no issues prior to purchase. Thanks for the suggestion.
Did you notice a slight rpm drop while this is happening in third? Or it’s shuddering throughout acceleration until it shifts out of third?

OP
OP
Gunny8531

Gunny8531

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
It didn't lose rpm's. It felt like a missing cylinder or two though. You can really feel it while in Sport mode. Ford stated they could not replicate the problem and stated it was operating normally.

OP
OP
Gunny8531

Gunny8531

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
"could not replicate the problem and stated it was operating normally "

day one of customer support training school goes over this very statement.
they literally have all the class stand at attention and recite this over and over again until it becomes a standard response. 8 full hours of chanting this verse,
the final exam is a hot blonde who comes in and just licks her lips seductively (or a Fabio like male for the females) and asks if they want to see how big the backseat is in her car....if any response comes out of their mouth except "could not replicate the problem, it was operating normally "... they fail.

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I get a slight shudder when accelerating from a stop, especially going up hill. I also notice a vibration in the seat and steering wheel at 75 MPH and above. Ford dealer couldn't find it. Anyone else have this experience/solution? 2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 fully loaded.
Time for a ride along to prove your point when it does it with you driving or riding they will not be able to make such a ect...
Just a suggestion.
Hu rah semper fi

OP
OP
Gunny8531

Gunny8531

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Did that with the service manager. However, the tech drove it and didn't feel it. I guess the manager wasn't around. Regardless, I'll take it back and demand another ride along with the tech who will work on it this time. Smper Fi!

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2019 Acura RDX and a 2007 Mazda Miata w/turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm driving a brand new 2019 (as a loaner from the dealership until the one I just purchased is ready) and it does exactly what you describe. I did not notice that the one I purchased does this but I did not drive it as much as I'm driving he loaner. I'll have to bring it up when I return it. Hope you get it figured out, you're right though, it feels like a tranny issue.