Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Electrician
I am buying a NL 6'10" slide in camper.
Dry Weight is 780lbs.

Given that my box is only 5'1", I will have a 1'9" overhang.
Should I leave the tailgate on or take it off? (it would go right to the edge of the tailgate)
I have to build a 4" platform to raise the camper high enough to clear the bed rails.
My platform will help transfer the load to the bed, so I don't think I need the tailgate on.

Thoughts?

I have Torklift bolt-on tie downs and I am adding 1000lb sumo springs to assist with stability and load.
Sponsored

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Leave the tail gate on and create a storage compartment between camper and tailgate/bed. How tall will this be.

OP
OP
WpgLariat

WpgLariat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
Leave the tail gate on and create a storage compartment between camper and tailgate/bed. How tall will this be.
The camper height from floor to bedrail is 17.5", so my platform will be 4-5" high.
Total height of the camper is 75.5".

No issues with Tailgate getting damaged from rocks etc?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
No issues with Tailgate getting damaged from rocks etc?
For this very reason I would take the tailgate off, but what do I know I have a pull behind TT. Also your rear view camera will be useless. Rear parking sensors may give you an alarm.

OP
OP
WpgLariat

WpgLariat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
For this very reason I would take the tailgate off, but what do I know I have a pull behind TT. Also your rear view camera will be useless. Rear parking sensors may give you an alarm.
My thoughts too, I would prefer not to have rock damage.
I plan on getting another Ford Camera and mounting in on the Camper so I can use my back up cam, but that's another project.

OP
OP
WpgLariat

WpgLariat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
Reposting in general for more views!

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
Do you have a link to this Slide In Camper? I like to ski-camp but my 28' Motorhome with an open differential isn't ideal in deep snow and is overkill for when I go by myself so a small slide-in for the Ranger is something I want in the next couple years.

This is something I would add bags to the suspension for. I really am curious about adding another Ford camera and how that install plays out.

OP
OP
WpgLariat

WpgLariat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
Do you have a link to this Slide In Camper? I like to ski-camp but my 28' Motorhome with an open differential isn't ideal in deep snow and is overkill for when I go by myself so a small slide-in for the Ranger is something I want in the next couple years.

This is something I would add bags to the suspension for. I really am curious about adding another Ford camera and how that install plays out.
Air bags are a pain, sumo springs are better in my opinion!
I had air bags in my 2011 Pleasureway Excel E350 chassis. I hated them. The sumo springs controlled the sway better, and had much less bounce.

The Ford camera disconnects behind the bumper and harness carries the tailgate lock and camera wires.
My plan was to get a second harness and wire a cam above the camper door.
Should be very simple.

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
Had an AIR LIFT Ride Control Rear Air Spring Kit on my F150 Lariat for 5 years, great for leveling trailer loaded rear springs. No problems.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
I added the ride rite bags from Firestone. At 10-15psi it feels very close to the OEM ride but the ride quality changes dramatically with PSI increase due the lightness of the truck. 30-35 psi works great with a 800-900lb tongue weight and I'm glad I added them, especially for towing. Now I know I'm good to go if I find a slide-in camper I like down the road.

moab360

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Programmer
I roll with a Four Wheel Camper "Eagle" camper on my Ranger and take the tailgate off. The primary reason is that the overhang + riser create a strange first step situation before my actual steps. I also have to remove the tailgate latches on the sides of the bed for the camper to fit, so I figure while I'm taking those off I might as well pull the whole tailgate.
Sponsored