Side Steps - Yes/No

RangerTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
All,
I am thinking about removing my steps. I recently saw a Ranger without them and it looked good.

I don't use them. Frankly, they get in the way of me getting in. Heck, even with my wifes Tremor, its not high enough that I use the steps...

Anyone else not use/need them? Anyone else removed them? Pictures?
Sponsored

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
As I said elsewhere, the first mod I had planned for my Tremor was step removal. I don't like them. Only thing on the truck that I truly dislike.

But, while still at the dealership waiting to bring my new truck home the warden stated, and then demonstrated, that she needs the steps. :blush: Needless to say the steps remain on my truck.

:idea: I believe it to be in my best interest to ensure that the steps remain for as long as I have the truck. Matter of fact if asked "I like those steps!"

jtzako

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
I removed them the minute I got home from the dealership. 1) they get in the way when I get in/out of the vehicle, and 2) they reduce the clearance if you are offroading and if they do hit something that entire bar will fold up and damage the side of the vehicle.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
I removed them the minute I got home from the dealership. 1) they get in the way when I get in/out of the vehicle, and 2) they reduce the clearance if you are offroading and if they do hit something that entire bar will fold up and damage the side of the vehicle.
You’d be surprised how stout they are. I actually do offroad with them and have hit stuff with them and no folding has ensued. Definitely not sliders for sure ( which I have on order). But not as wimpy as some imagine they are.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
while I don't strictly need them, my wife does.

because they do kinda get in the way if I ignore them and don't use them, I use them, anyway.

using the steps does put less pressure on the seat bolsters when getting in/out of the truck. using the steps also helps in the winter when it's icy (when I break the ice off of the steps first). and finally, using the steps also helps reach the roof.

if I did serious off-roading (what I do tends to be mild and the steps aren't generally in the way), I'd replace them with rock sliders that had steps.

jtzako

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
You’d be surprised how stout they are. I actually do offroad with them and have hit stuff with them and no folding has ensued. Definitely not sliders for sure ( which I have on order). But not as wimpy as some imagine they are.
Iv'e seen first hand, a few different times, what happens if steps hit/snag something solid. (large rocks,tree stumps/logs or just the ground due to the breakover angle) It is not worth keeping them on if you are offroading in an area where those type of obstacles are an issue. The damage they can do is significant.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
using the steps does put less pressure on the seat bolsters when getting in/out of the truck
Bingo. That's why I incorporated using the step as I enter and exit the vehicle. Wife reminded me of how the side/edge of the seat in my POS (frontier) looked after many miles. Hopefully the step does save the seats in my Ranger.

OP
OP
RangerTX

RangerTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
while I don't strictly need them, my wife does.

because they do kinda get in the way if I ignore them and don't use them, I use them, anyway.

using the steps does put less pressure on the seat bolsters when getting in/out of the truck. using the steps also helps in the winter when it's icy (when I break the ice off of the steps first). and finally, using the steps also helps reach the roof.

if I did serious off-roading (what I do tends to be mild and the steps aren't generally in the way), I'd replace them with rock sliders that had steps.
That reminds me. I do use them to kick the snow/slush off my shoes when getting in during winter... I still think they are going... Been considering it since I bought the thing. Next sunny warm day may see them gone......................

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Iv'e seen first hand, a few different times, what happens if steps hit/snag something solid. (large rocks,tree stumps/logs or just the ground due to the breakover angle) It is not worth keeping them on if you are offroading in an area where those type of obstacles are an issue. The damage they can do is significant.
I’m sure it happens especially if you leave the steps bolted on when running in that territory. I remove the steps before heading out into that type of environment. Only 8 bolts to remove and then you just have the rails. The rails have held up to some pretty rough encounters. Soon to be a non issue when sliders arrive

jtzako

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
I’m sure it happens especially if you leave the steps bolted on when running in that territory. I remove the steps before heading out into that type of environment. Only 8 bolts to remove and then you just have the rails. The rails have held up to some pretty rough encounters. Soon to be a non issue when sliders arrive
Yeah, the rails arent that big a deal since they dont stick down below the body. Its mainly the steps which stick down/out. I've watched folks in my 4x4 club come down on them and fold them right up into the doors, and one snagged a log and basically ripped it off. These are all going slow, and careful but things happen (tire slips, rock shifts out from under etc).

Sliders would be nice. I plan to eventually do that on my new ranger. My old 4x4 has had rails/armor etc for years. Definitely saved the soft bits a few times.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
My Westin side steps were looking nasty and starting to rust badly after a few salty seasons, so I recently took them off (flares are off too). It’s only been a handful of days but I don’t miss them at all.

The only difference is that it looks more “lifted”.

BEFORE:

IMG_0076.jpeg

AFTER:

IMG_3099.jpeg
Sponsored