First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Has anyone thought about using them as air tanks? If they look well sealed, I think I am going to drill and tap them for a 3/8" IPS fitting before I install them.
Uhm... yikes. They're not designed for that.

I designed pressure vessels as my day job from the early 80's until a few years ago... I was also a Certified Welding Inspector. Compressed air stores a lot of energy and when it releases can do considerable damage... to life, limb and Ranger.

Welding pressure vessels is a totally different set of qualifications than welding structural components.

And the materials selection and inspection process for a pressure vessel is much more stringent than for some "Rock Sliders".

Sponsored

dayuno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
How well do these work as steps? Anyone able to compare to OEM steps? They look like they are a bit higher (good for clearance). How far do they stick out past the side sill? Are the tread plates level to the ground or angled down. I've looked at all the pictures but the different angles have me uncertain.

I probably don't need sliders since my offroading will be probably minimal, but I am new to trucks and may do something boneheaded that could be costly. If they could function as steps and be useful in tight parking situations where I can't open the door all the way, that may help my decision.

Thanks for any insight!!!

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
How well do these work as steps? Anyone able to compare to OEM steps? They look like they are a bit higher (good for clearance). How far do they stick out past the side sill? Are the tread plates level to the ground or angled down. I've looked at all the pictures but the different angles have me uncertain.

I probably don't need sliders since my offroading will be probably minimal, but I am new to trucks and may do something boneheaded that could be costly. If they could function as steps and be useful in tight parking situations where I can't open the door all the way, that may help my decision.

This is about how far they stick out for me

20191205_181243.jpg

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone done a how to install? I'm getting my delivery tomorrow:)

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
It's pretty straight forward, the stick nuts take some finesse. Drilling ended up being way easier than anticipated, too

I'll try to get pics of the exact holes to go through when I stop home in a bit

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It's pretty straight forward, the stick nuts take some finesse. Drilling ended up being way easier than anticipated, too

I'll try to get pics of the exact holes to go through when I stop home in a bit
Mike,

About how heavy was the crate they came in? Trying to figure out if getting the crate off the semi is a one or two man job? Or maybe take the crate apart in the semi?

Thanks!

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
I'd say you can do it with the help of the driver, I had my uncle around just in case but we slid it straight off the truck and onto the dolly. I'd say it was less than the 210, probably 175ish.
Mike,

About how heavy was the crate they came in? Trying to figure out if getting the crate off the semi is a one or two man job? Or maybe take the crate apart in the semi?
Mike,

Thanks!

Thanks!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I'd say you can do it with the help of the driver, I had my uncle around just in case but we slid it straight off the truck and onto the dolly. I'd say it was less than the 210, probably 175ish.
Thanks Mike, much appreciated. I'm assuming it was delivered via a semi?

OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport

Review this post of mine along with the ones on the following page. Those pics should help you out with visualizing how these are made.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/rock-sliders.2018/page-3#post-52383

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
Thanks Mike, much appreciated. I'm assuming it was delivered via a semi?
When they called to schedule, they said it was coming in a small box truck without a lift. When it showed up it was in a 30ish ft box truck with a lift lol. So I dunno how much to trust dispatch

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
Here's a picture of each mounting point as viewed from outside of the car so you can get an idea of how to line it all up. The drivers is a bit easier to line up with the preexisting hole that is shared with the transfer case skid plate. Keep in mind it is the forward mount that is shared on the rock slider. In order of pictures: drivers front mount, drivers rear mount, passenger front mount, passenger rear mount
20191230_143836.jpg
20191230_143824.jpg

20191230_143900.jpg

20191230_143922.jpg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Here's a picture of each mounting point as viewed from outside of the car so you can get an idea of how to line it all up. The drivers is a bit easier to line up with the preexisting hole that is shared with the transfer case skid plate. Keep in mind it is the forward mount that is shared on the rock slider. In order of pictures: drivers front mount, drivers rear mount, passenger front mount, passenger rear mount
Thanks fr posting these.

Wow... those welds really look nice too. Were you pleased with the fit and finish of the set you received?

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
Thanks fr posting these.

Wow... those welds really look nice too. Were you pleased with the fit and finish of the set you received?
I am very pleased, the quality is fantastic. Instructions could be more detailed, but once you get started it really makes a lot of sense how it all goes together. Yes, the stick nuts metal will rust but the important parts are perfect. If you look back a page, you'll see the backing plate they include for each mount.

Onlyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4, 2019 Jeep Rubicon on 37's
Thanks for the pics. I ordered some the other night since they were 10% off till new years.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
OOOOoooooyaaaaa:like:
WQZOOtU.jpg

TlwjzXh.jpg

sM4zyGG.jpg

Now to see about installing this by my self...wish I had some friends nearby but this is the way...if I can install the lift and exhaust alone then I'll figure this one out...:whew:
Sponsored