Shrockworks Lightweight Winch Mount Install - Warn Zeon 10 Winch

emkeiz

First Name
Emma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Finally got the chance to get my Shrockworks bumper installed and I wanted to post a quick thread here to go over the process and some hiccups/unexpected things.

First off, it did take a while to get after ordering which isn't an issue but something to be aware of! The process also required a lot of cutting and grinding. In the long run, my Warn Zeon DID fit, but it took some fighting to get in there and it's snug. I also only used 2 of the provided bolts to re-attach my fx4 skid plate. I could not figure out where the other ones should have gone.. aside from the 4 that could have been used to mount the tow hooks (I used my oem bolts instead). All other holes were filled so I left the remaining 6 out. The instructions said they were to be used in reinstalling the OEM bumper, but I couldn't see how.

Anyway, as for the install....

A+ for packaging. It was approx 75 lbs.
20201005_165000.jpg

Taking the OEM bumper off was easy with some guidance. I did follow ADD's guide to make sure I didn't miss anything. I had to keep re-reading the Shrockworks instructions to figure out just how much I needed to take off.. The answer is pretty much all the OEM plastic. the piece with the honeycomb get's trimmed and reused.
20201013_163048.jpg

The winch plate went in nicely. It's actually angled forward to allow for proper clearance, which I thought was neat. As you can see, my Zeon fit in there VERY snugly. I ended up needing to bore out the holes that mount to the bottom of the frame rails because I couldn't scoot the mount towards the front of the truck any further, due to the winch size.
20201013_170924.jpg
20201013_171240.jpg

I also had to trim this plastic piece up to fit the winch body.
20201013_171429.jpg

You have to trim a portion of the OEM bumper and some of the plastic pieces for reuse. Here's a pic of the metal part on loosely after I trimmed it.
20201016_171427.jpg

I had to trim more of the plastic piece than what was called for in the instructions. I don't have a picture of it, but the piece is circled in the following pic. I just cut away the bottom (where the arrow is pointing) that would have sat where the Shrockworks shell is sitting.
20201017_1746102.jpg

And yes, I put a fairlead on!
20201018_155003.jpg

Overall happy with the look. The install wasn't that bad and would go much more smoothly with a smaller winch. The instructions could have been more clear, but I've seen products come without instructions completely, so at least they provided some.
Sponsored

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Looks great. now i'm torn between this and 589 FAB hidden mount

OP
OP
emkeiz

emkeiz

First Name
Emma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Looks great. now i'm torn between this and 589 FAB hidden mount
The nice thing about this one is that it adds more protection to the front end. I'm pretty sure someone backed their hitch into the stock plastic that was there on my truck, and now its really well protected for only ~$300 more.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I'm pickin up wut yur puttin down

Winch and bumper maybe 200 pounds total? weight is final factor for me because of my long term goals... waiting on GFC. me, wife, big dogs, camper and stuff i'm around 1300lbs and would like to keep as much "cushion" as possible

OP
OP
emkeiz

emkeiz

First Name
Emma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
I'm pickin up wut yur puttin down

Winch and bumper maybe 200 pounds total? weight is final factor for me because of my long term goals... waiting on GFC. me, wife, big dogs, camper and stuff i'm around 1300lbs and would like to keep as much "cushion" as possible
Yeah, around that number. I'm not good at estimating the weight of things lol.

There are things you can do to mitigate weight with the winch setup. I switched to a synthetic line and it cut back on a good chunk of weight. The bulbar portion of the mount is not really that heavy, I could lift it easily but didn't ever weigh it. The biggest factor will be the winch body itself.

I also put in fox 2.0 coilovers and it rides like a dream. They are pre-set to 2" lift and my final ride height sits at 37" in the front with 32" tires. I think the winch and bumper caused it to sag a teeeny bit.

If you're planning on adding a lot of weight, my biggest recommendation to keep it cushy is to upgrade the suspension. It's $$$ but worth it!

TJBarnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 outdoorsman
Figured I'd give you a while to ride on it.

How much did it affect your MPG? I really want a front hitch w/ a winch cradle to keep it as factory and low weight as possible, but I guess thats not happening soon.

OP
OP
emkeiz

emkeiz

First Name
Emma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Figured I'd give you a while to ride on it.

How much did it affect your MPG? I really want a front hitch w/ a winch cradle to keep it as factory and low weight as possible, but I guess thats not happening soon.
I havent really driven it much since the install... I was waiting to get it aligned since I simultaneously put new suspension in. I don't anticipate a significant mpg drop, though

nutzNboltz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX
Occupation
Professional Idiot
Man that looks great. So well tucked. Been drooling over this. Now I am twitching.

nutzNboltz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX
Occupation
Professional Idiot
If those pics weren't enough... :) Im very happy with it

20201029_142414.jpg

20201029_142341.jpg
That just looks awesome. I can feel my credit card jumping in my wallet. Nice rock sliders too! Did you do any skid plates?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
If those pics weren't enough... :) Im very happy with it
How's the powder coat holding up. I love the "bull bar" look and am thinking of getting this and not using a winch.

OP
OP
emkeiz

emkeiz

First Name
Emma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
That just looks awesome. I can feel my credit card jumping in my wallet. Nice rock sliders too! Did you do any skid plates?
Thanks! Rock sliders are from Relations Race Wheels. Fully bolt on! No skid plates, I don't anticipate needing any more than the stock fx4 ones yet

OP
OP
emkeiz

emkeiz

First Name
Emma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
How's the powder coat holding up. I love the "bull bar" look and am thinking of getting this and not using a winch.
So far so good... I live off a cinder road so its hard on the paint. We'll see how it holds up over time, the body paint hasnt held up so well haha

Jon_H

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4WD FX4, 1998 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
Anybody concerned with air flow once the winch is installed? How far is the winch from the radiator/intercooler? This one looks a little further away than the 589. Thoughts?

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm still waiting on a front receiver mount. Hopefully that approach will let me mount a winch, front or rear, when needed and keep my ACC functional the other 99.9% of the time. One day...

If it wasn't for the ACC thing I would go this route in a heartbeat. Looks great!
Sponsored