Show me your beater with a heater/hooptie/work car.

Pinski66

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
I thought this might be fun to share if you have a beater as an extra vehicle for work or sloppy winter driving, besides your ranger. I have a 2005 freestar van I bought on a government auction. My wife was so mad , she told me I was going to be living in it.

20211201_142413.jpg
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Heck that's not so bad and I've slept in worse places. lol I don't have a beater for work, my Ranger is my work truck. I think my last real beater vehicle was back in the 80's when I stored my Z28 for the winter I bought an old Ford Pinto. It was beat up and rusted out but it had heat and got me through the winter. Until one day I came out of the store and there it was on fire in the parking lot. ?:facepalm: Called the junk yard and they gave me $50 for it.

OP
OP
Pinski66

Pinski66

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Heck that's not so bad and I've slept in worse places. lol I don't have a beater for work, my Ranger is my work truck. I think my last real beater vehicle was back in the 80's when I stored my Z28 for the winter I bought an old Ford Pinto. It was beat up and rusted out but it had heat and got me through the winter. Until one day I came out of the store and there it was on fire in the parking lot. ?:facepalm: Called the junk yard and they gave me $50 for it.
Thats a great story Dave!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thats a great story Dave!
One nice thing was back then you could always find a winter beater for under $500. They weren't pretty but they usually would get you by with minimal repairs. IIRC it was a '74 or '76 Pinto and I think they had fuel pump problems then. The store was Bradlees and luckily someone came by with an extinguisher and put it out, boy that was a long time ago. Glad it didn't happen while we were driving.

OP
OP
Pinski66

Pinski66

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
One nice thing was back then you could always find a winter beater for under $500. They weren't pretty but they usually would get you by with minimal repairs. IIRC it was a '74 or '76 Pinto and I think they had fuel pump problems then. The store was Bradlees and luckily someone came by with an extinguisher and put it out, boy that was a long time ago. Glad it didn't happen while we were driving.
Yep, we would keep a look out all year to find next year's winter beater. In the mid 90s my buddies and I would find big cars for $200 -$300 and enter them in the demolition derby at the county fair.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Like Dave I don't have a beater now, but back in the day I always had a "work" beater. One I drove to work, and didn't care if someone bumped it. My favorite was a '79 F-250 with like a million miles. It looked like it had gone through a battle, and lost, gas ran through it like it was a sieve, but it never left me stranded. I bought it for 800 bucks, and sold it for 600 5-6 years latter.

Last edited:

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
This was my winter beater / Lowes runner / spare vehicle. It was replaced with my 21 Ranger. The Ranger also replaced my 17 Mustang as my daily driver. Now that I am retired I was looking to thin down the herd some.

Attach0_20170114_191054.jpg

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I still drive my old '91 Ranger to work and around town a lot . 330k miles and everything still works great . If it had a good coat of paint it would look like it was maybe 5 years old . 4.0 stick , no power windows , locks or options ,lol .

Then there's the '99 Jeep but it needs a rear locker repaired and is basically waiting for the new Bronco to replace it . It's a true beater cause it will beat the living tar outta you if you drove it any more than necessary :)

Rangers.png

99 jeep.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
almost that time again... maybe I'll move to Arizona and chase away the damper supporters...
KIMG0947.JPG
I remember those days all to well. Heck it's 54 out now and I'm shivering.?

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
B656F01E-67F7-434A-B37C-20D4595F88C6.jpeg

Does not actually belong to me. 2006 Mercedes E350. My Principle comes to me and says “you’re getting a donated vehicle to your program.” I hear that and I expect it to be an 86 Caviler w no engine but this shows up. Everything worked except trans stuck in 1st gear. Owner told it needs a new trans, 6k bill for a 5k car. Turns out, one $350. rebuilt Conductor Plate later and she operates perfectly. I do weekly “test drives” so ole Danger Ranger gets to rest some.

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Well being retired this will have to do. If the weather is not ideal I drive this instead of the Ranger.

20221011_080552.jpg
Sponsored