First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
There's an ongoing thread about this from January here. :)

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I once worked in semiconductor manufacturing. There are many issues that are happening now, some with the pandemic causing slow downs in production with work stoppage, some political with tensions between China and Taiwan.

You can't just restart production and start pumping out chips next week. It takes MONTHS to build the chips, probably six months is the shortest nowadays with the complexity. These chips for cars are probably on the lower end of complexity, so six months is best case. And, to meet demand you must have that production ramped up and pumping out product for a long time to catch up.

As for just moving the production on shore and start up next month? Aint gonna happen. New plants for major products cost BILLIONS of dollars. Not to mention the talent to support them. There are some lower end workers (operators), mid range workers (techs) and engineers which can be new grads. But you still need experienced engineers (years of experience, masters and PHDs). Guess what, those guys already have jobs. You can't just post job openings on Craigslist and hire them tomorrow.

It's very complicated.

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I thought one of the plants that went down was in Texas. You may be open for business but your electrical system apparently sucks.
“Leftcoast” talking to me about electric grids. Please, for the love of God, you had better be from Oregon or Washington lol.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
... There are many issues that are happening now, some with the pandemic causing slow downs in production with work stoppage, some political with tensions between China and Taiwan.

You can't just restart production and start pumping out chips next week. ...

It's very complicated.

But, you can sell your company or move offshore for cheaper labor and sell at a higher price for better profit and on and on and on. This has been an on going process since the early 80's, as soon as "somebody" stole/sold all the R&D work...and began the elimination/assimilation of manufacturing prowess...and not just in chips, but just about every field except coffee :lipssealed: and I do mean every field.

Reactions: R_B

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
“Leftcoast” talking to me about electric grids. Please, for the love of God, you had better be from Oregon or Washington lol.
Oregon and Washington are our poor red headed step children. Get back to me when your state economy cracks 2 trillion a year. We’ll probably be cracking 3 about the same time.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like it might be time to simplify things.

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Oregon and Washington are our poor red headed step children. Get back to me when your state economy cracks 2 trillion a year. We’ll probably be cracking 3 about the same time.
Hell, that won’t be long seeing as how I see California license plates daily, on I20 in West Texas, undoubtably bound for Austin, San Antonio, Dallas or Houston. Fleeing your state like rats on a sinking ship. Your state is losing population. And their number one destination is here. Interesting huh?

I can’t believe you talked shit about an electrical grid being from California. That’s rich.

Keep closed bro.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
But, you can sell your company or move offshore for cheaper labor and sell at a higher price for better profit and on and on and on. This has been an on going process since the early 80's, as soon as "somebody" stole/sold all the R&D work...and began the elimination/assimilation of manufacturing prowess...and not just in chips, but just about every field except coffee :lipssealed: and I do mean every field.
Yeah. And?

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. And?
You get a "service economy" at the mercy and whim of an industrial one.

The pandemic was nothing to the economy, the panicked response is what collapsed an expansion economy into a recessive economy, and the reversion to govt intervention into all facets.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Hell, that won’t be long seeing as how I see California license plates daily, on I20 in West Texas, undoubtably bound for Austin, San Antonio, Dallas or Houston. Fleeing your state like rats on a sinking ship. Your state is losing population. And their number one destination is here. Interesting huh?

I can’t believe you talked shit about an electrical grid being from California. That’s rich.

Keep closed bro.
We have IIRC about 35 million people as of the last census. You can have 5 million. We’ll make more.

edit
I was wrong. It’s 40 million.

Last edited:

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
You get a "service economy" at the mercy and whim of an industrial one.

The pandemic was nothing to the economy, the panicked response is what collapsed an expansion economy into a recessive economy, and the reversion to govt intervention into all facets.
Right, sure

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Status